986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Crush ring and Castrol (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/22545-crush-ring-castrol.html)

chitowndad 10-22-2009 06:12 PM

Crush ring and Castrol

Hi Guys,
So I went to 2 auto parts stores today and neither had the crush ring nor had any record of it in their system. what size is the crush ring and where's a good place to pick one up? Can you use a generic brand? I saw ones rubber ones.

Also the local guy quoted me $6.70 for a quart of Castrol 10W-40 Syn. Is that a good price and who has it cheaper (Walmart?)

-Steve

941MXVET 10-22-2009 06:53 PM

I've both re-used my crush rings, or bought new ones from:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=900-123-106-30-M131&catalog_description=Oil%20Sump%20Pan%20Drain% 20Plug%20Seal%2C%20A%31%38%20x%20%32%34%2C%20Boxst er%2FBoxster%20S%20%28%31%39%39%37%2D%32%30%30%34% 29%2C%20Each%20

Try this as well:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/986M/POR_986M_BASflt_pg1.htm

d18mike 10-22-2009 06:57 PM

Pelican Parts has the crush rings -- I think they are about 25 cents each. Next time you place an order there best to buy a handful. It's always a good idea to change the crush ring along with your oil. Considering the price, why not. But it's certainly not something that you must do every oil change. I know a lot of guys who go several changes before using new ones.

Lil bastard 10-22-2009 08:08 PM

OK - Crush washers - cheap - no need to reuse... if you're on top of it!

NEVER buy one - buy a dozen at a time - they're cheap!

If you must reuse - reverse them, at least you'll get two uses out of one.

:cheers:

gschotland 10-22-2009 08:48 PM

"Also the local guy quoted me $6.70 for a quart of Castrol 10W-40 Syn. Is that a good price and who has it cheaper (Walmart?)"

Not a bad price. Walmart might be a little less. Think they sell more environmentally friendly (less packaging/qt) 5 quart jugs of synthetic. Autozone is also now carrying them. The big 'uns may be harder to find in 0W40 or 5W40.

chitowndad 10-23-2009 03:35 AM

Thanks, I'll check out Walmart.

Are the crush rings a universal size? The 2 auto stores that I went to didn't have a record of Porsche crush rings but they had a bunch of different sizes etc.

Has anyone used the ones with a rubber coating on the inside?

-Steve

Flavor 987S 10-23-2009 05:53 AM

You should not be using a 10W40 oil. Not Porsche approved. Especially during a Chicago winter.

JFP in PA 10-23-2009 06:42 AM

Nonsense; we have been using 10W-40 Castrol Syntec in customer cars for a long time and it gets plenty cold here as well. And, when you look back a few years, 10W oil was the recommended grade for arctic conditions, so why should it be a problem now?.

I never could justify the OEM rationale for 0W – anything, especially considering how poorly their “chosen” oil performs in used oil analysis after mild usage and low mileage conditions………..

By-the-by; to get back on point, I’ve noticed Wal-Mart in our area selling the 10W-40 Syntec for about $22 for a five quart container……….

mptoledo 10-23-2009 06:46 AM

I had to re-use my crush ring as napa sold me the wrong new one. 10W40 should be fine for chicago, I am in central ohio and use Castrol syntec 10W40. I don't know how much winter driving you do in chicago, but you could do 15W40 if its a heavy winter car. I would still stay with 10W40!! :cool:

Flavor 987S 10-23-2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Nonsense; we have been using 10W-40 Castrol Syntec in customer cars for a long time and it gets plenty cold here as well. And, when you look back a few years, 10W oil was the recommended grade for arctic conditions, so why should it be a problem now?.

I never could justify the OEM rationale for 0W – anything, especially considering how poorly their “chosen” oil performs in used oil analysis after mild usage and low mileage conditions………..

Congrats, JFP, you know more than the Porsche engineers! That's awesome!!

When was the last time you read an updated Oil TSB from Porsche?

Do you disclose to your customers that you are using outdated unapproved Porsche oils? They deserve to know and be informed.

JFP in PA 10-23-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavor 987S
Congrats, JFP, you know more than the Porsche engineers! That's awesome!!

When was the last time you read an updated Oil TSB from Porsche?

Do you disclose to your customers that you are using outdated unapproved Porsche oils? They deserve to know and be informed.

After 35 years or so of turning wrenches on these cars, both in successful racing applications and on the street, not to mention running my own shop; I have learned a more than few things that Porsche’s accountants forgot to, or wouldn’t allow their engineers to do.

Your high regard for what passes for TSB’s is more than just humorous, it is completely misguided; as over the years Porsche has so often reversed themselves, particularly when it comes to oils. Their oil brand of choice is a hollow shell of what it was when Exxon took Mobil over in 1999; which is why anyone with a modicum of knowledge on the subject stopped listening to their recommendations years ago. Add in our data base of literally hundreds of oil analysis collected from our own and customer’s cars and it became obvious that both the “recommended” weights and brand had become total nonsense.

As for “disclosing” to our customers that we use what you describe as “outdated and unapproved oils”; perhaps you would be interested in how many Porsche owners switched to our shop (even driving considerable distances to do so) when they hear that our test results show a better pathway…………… So, as the direct result of miscreant and devious ways, we find ourselves having to turn work away because of the line of cars outside the door………..

mikefocke 10-23-2009 08:45 AM

Maybe he knows more than the Porsche co-marketing folks

who set up the deal to give Mobile all the promotion (in exchange for what?).

How are we sure this co-marketing deal is for the benefit of customers or not just another deal that provides kickbacks?

If it was just in a TSB where their recommendations were, I'd be more inclined to believe it was engineers speaking.

Let me suggest that Porsche probably gets all their oil and certainly gets the benefit of Mobile advertising the Porsche exclusive-use. Every time Mobile says the word "Porsche" in an oil commercial, Porsche marketing benefits.

And those who analyze the internals of Boxster engines that have failed or are beginning to fail seem to agree on one thing...that the oil recommendations that Porsche has made and continues to make for the M96 engines are not the right way to protect the engine based on their analysis of hundreds of engines and the contents of their oil over several years.

And many say not to use Mobile 1 and recommend a thicker base viscosity.

Can JFP be right in thinking that the Porsche engineers choice is suspect too?

My next change won't be 0W40 and won't be Mobile 1.

mikefocke 10-23-2009 08:50 AM

I don't follow your logic

"I don't know how much winter driving you do in chicago, but you could do 15W40 if its a heavy winter car. "

The colder you drive it, the lower the "cold" viscosity number you want, not higher. So why would you want to suggest the possibility of higher?

Flavor 987S 10-23-2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA
After 35 years or so of turning wrenches on these cars, both in successful racing applications and on the street, not to mention running my own shop; I have learned a more than few things that Porsche’s accountants forgot to, or wouldn’t allow their engineers to do.

Your high regard for what passes for TSB’s is more than just humorous, it is completely misguided; as over the years Porsche has so often reversed themselves, particularly when it comes to oils. Their oil brand of choice is a hollow shell of what it was when Exxon took Mobil over in 1999; which is why anyone with a modicum of knowledge on the subject stopped listening to their recommendations years ago. Add in our data base of literally hundreds of oil analysis collected from our own and customer’s cars and it became obvious that both the “recommended” weights and brand had become total nonsense.

As for “disclosing” to our customers that we use what you describe as “outdated and unapproved oils”; perhaps you would be interested in how many Porsche owners switched to our shop (even driving considerable distances to do so) when they hear that our test results show a better pathway…………… So, as the direct result of miscreant and devious ways, we find ourselves having to turn work away because of the line of cars outside the door………..

Blah...blah...blah...blah...blah.....you did not answer the questions. I would assume the answers are, "no".

With you higher base of knowledge, you owe it to forum members here and your customers that your advice goes against the grain of Porsche, so those less knowledgeable than you can make an informed decision ....to believe a trust mechanic (yes, I am sure you do good work! :) )...or the folks who built the car and continue testing & improving.

Flavor 987S 10-23-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikefocke
who set up the deal to give Mobile all the promotion (in exchange for what?). My next change won't be 0W40 and won't be Mobile 1.

There are hundreds of Porsche approved oils. No need to use Mobil 1. I use Red Line 5W40 (not Porsche approved) in the Bosxter.

I do plan to try Mobil 1's 5W50 in a new car I am getting soon, since I will try to drive it a little during the winter.

JFP in PA 10-23-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Blah...blah...blah...blah...blah.....you did not answer the questions. I would assume the answers are, "no".

With you higher base of knowledge, you owe it to forum members here and your customers that your advice goes against the grain of Porsche, so those less knowledgeable than you can make an informed decision .....

Actually, I did, but you did not, or chose not to comprehend my answer…....my customer's know exactly what they are getting.

As for what I “owe” members of this forum, I have openly participated in multiple discussions, here and elsewhere, on the subject of oil performance in the M96 engine for several years. And I am hardly the only one to dispute Porsche’s oil choices on this forum (and others) for many years as well.

Please, feel free to “trust and believe in” whomever you please; as for me, I’ll remain circumspect about the “recommendations” of the engineers that delivered the M96 with the IMS issues, the RMS problems, the slipped sleeves, the “D-chunking”, sintered metal oil pump drives, etc. etc. etc………..
……..

JFP in PA 10-23-2009 09:34 AM

Quote:

There are hundreds of Porsche approved oils. No need to use Mobil 1. I use Red Line 5W40 (not Porsche approved) in the Bosxter.

I do plan to try Mobil 1's 5W50 in a new car I am getting soon, since I will try to drive it a little during the winter.

When Red Line actually obtains ACEA A3, B3, and B4 ratings (they currently do not have any ACEA ratings), they might be worth looking at, but not until they have ACEA...............

jmatta 10-23-2009 10:14 AM

"you know more than the Porsche engineers! That's awesome!!"

Unfortunately, the Porsche engineers had to work with what the accountants and marketing dept gave them...which is why we have d-chunk engines, weak IMS bearings, weak cam tensioners, broken cheap plastic pieces and on and on and on.

I don't question folks like JFP, Jake and Charles because they represent "real world" not factory hype. Porsche wouldn't even admit the problems with the M96 engine design; do you think they care about the oil they recommend other than who's paying them the big marketing dollars? I remember when all my Porsches came with Shell stickers as factory fill.

I use Castol Syntec 10W40 and recently paid $4.99 qt at AutoZone...I wouldn't put Mobil 1 0W40 in my lawn tractor.

chitowndad 10-23-2009 10:38 AM

Lol

So let's agree on one thing - the oil discussion is like discussing religion, everyone has a different opinion...

I got what I needed out of this thread - go to Walmart for Castrol, which is my choice. But still not sure if anyone answered the size of the crush ring, i.e., is it 17MM, 20MM, etc.

IMO, I agree with the previous point that the Porsche engineers are told what to work with (M1) and in my occupation, upper Mgt. gives us the project end dates from hell and tells us to get it done knowing it's unrealistic! LOL, all the same crap...

Thanks a ton,

-Steve

Lil bastard 10-23-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chitowndad
So let's agree on one thing - the oil discussion is like discussing religion, everyone has a different opinion...

I got what I needed out of this thread - go to Walmart for Castrol, which is my choice. But still not sure if anyone answered the size of the crush ring, i.e., is it 17MM, 20MM, etc.

IMO, I agree with the previous point that the Porsche engineers are told what to work with (M1) and in my occupation, upper Mgt. gives us the project end dates from hell and tells us to get it done knowing it's unrealistic! LOL, all the same crap...

Thanks a ton,

-Steve

Crush washers are not universal, either in ID or thickness. That said, there are many applications using the same size washers. My suggestion is to take your drain plug to the store while the oil is draining and match it up.

:cheers: