Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #1

Codes and SMOKE

Greetings sports fans. I have a question for you. I purchased my used 99 Boxster this summer and have been diligently chasing down the bugs with the help of this great board. I have driven about 10,000 miles so far and have kicked this 2.5 up to about 150K...so far I have
purchased new Porsche floor mats, shifter knob & boot, installed a new air oil seperator,new water pump, new thermostat,changed the oil, changed the coolant, new tires,new gas cap, painted the cowl (myself). Yes I paint! Installed new plugs, a new camshaft sensor, new air filters both cabin and engine and cleaned the MAF and yes bought the Bently manual.

My problem I am nagged with the following codes
P1124, P1126 and PO446. I know what they are as I have had them read and printed at Autozone but that means not alot. What could they be really?? I have read all the posts...replace sensors and MAF, sepeartor (already done) and YES it still smokes on start up especially on cold days(oil leak down?) I need some good advice. I have cleared the codes a couple of times but they sneak back a couple of days later.

One other question is why do the rear wheels tilt in at the top and out at the bottom? I have seen vettes do this but it causes inside wear prior to the outsides. It is even around the tire but again more on the inside treads? What is the fix?
Help

bustingear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #2

At least one answer is easy

Alignment. Done by a competent professional who prepares Porsches for Racing and who thus knows how various settings affect tire wear and handling. Not done by a robot attempting to match the specs as the specs give a wide variance of possibilities. When I did that, my wear became perfectly even and I'm 15k on my current set of tires and the wear is perfectly even on the rears. I'll get at least 3-4k more out of them.

You may also have suspension wear after 150k.

Now as to the codes, have you access not to the generic what they mean list but what Porsche has said to do to diagnose them?

An example

P0446
Causes
– Purge air line blocked
– Flow resistance of EVAP canister too high

Check purge air line for blockage.
1. Remove front right-hand wheel housing liner.
2. Detach purge air line (connection face up) from
EVAP canister.
3. Blow through purge air line with compressed air.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
Alignment. Done by a competent professional who prepares Porsches for Racing and who thus knows how various settings affect tire wear and handling. Not done by a robot attempting to match the specs as the specs give a wide variance of possibilities. When I did that, my wear became perfectly even and I'm 15k on my current set of tires and the wear is perfectly even on the rears. I'll get at least 3-4k more out of them.

You may also have suspension wear after 150k.

Now as to the codes, have you access not to the generic what they mean list but what Porsche has said to do to diagnose them?

An example

P0446
Causes
– Purge air line blocked
– Flow resistance of EVAP canister too high

Check purge air line for blockage.
1. Remove front right-hand wheel housing liner.
2. Detach purge air line (connection face up) from
EVAP canister.
3. Blow through purge air line with compressed air.
Thanks I will try it and no i do not have porsche solutions. More ...please.

bustingear is offline   Reply With Quote