Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #1

Back window cracked

Hey how do we solve the back Window cracked on the 1998, I know the 2003 window is now glass?

baileymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileymc
Hey how do we solve the back Window cracked on the 1998, I know the 2003 window is now glass?
For about $400-$500 the plastic window can be replaced. Search this site for plenty of info.

Gary
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #3

or for $500 to $600 you can get a new top with a glass window. The window is smaller, but I haven't heard too many complaints. I am going to get a new top in spring. There are dozens of posts on here about different tops.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:58 AM   #4

Several ways

Have a new plastic window sewed in.
Replace the top with similar.
Replace the top with a top that fits the frame but with glass window
Replace the top and frame with one from an '03-04

Instructions and thoughts here
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
pk2

General rule of thumb, 2 windows per top. So if your top has it's original window in it, you can replace the window and the next time the window goes bad you top will be shot to; then replace it all.

PK
Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #6

Back window cracked

Thanks, for the info team !!
baileymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #7

Personally, I would/gonna replace the top with a smaller window(gahh) and be done with it. For a difference of $100 to $200 I would consider it a no brainer and a permanent fix. I would have done it this year, but I never put the top up, as I drive my other vehicle in inclement weather.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:40 AM   #8

If your top canvas is shot, then I agree it's worth ~$200 more for the glass rear window. If your canvas is still good, it's far more cost effective to replace the plastic that could easily give you 6-8 years service, probably longer than you'll own the car.

Unlike some other people on this forum, I don't have the skill (or time/interest) to take on a top or rear window replacement. Labor & materials here in NJ ran me $500 for the plastic window replacement and it looks perfect; it's certainly not a "patch job" or half-assed repair. Total top replacement is more involved, I'm guessing labor alone around here is ~$1000. Add $950 or so for a high quality German canvas GAHH top with glass and now it's almost a $2,000 job, or $1,500 in added cost versus the window alone. Sorry, I just don't see the value for 4x the money.

Keep in mind the value of your car, how long you expect to own it, and the fact that you will periodically have costly repairs competing for your dollars. Prioritize and consider what gives you bang for the buck and I think you'll agree that replacing the plastic, if your canvas is still good, makes infinitely more sense.

Gary
'02 S
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #9

If you go with the GAHH or similar glass window, just bear in mind that access to the engine compartment will be somewhat compromised.

My favourite option when the time comes is to replace the entire top with one from an 03 or 04 with the glass window. It's a bolt-on.