View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 05:40 AM   #8
gschotland

If your top canvas is shot, then I agree it's worth ~$200 more for the glass rear window. If your canvas is still good, it's far more cost effective to replace the plastic that could easily give you 6-8 years service, probably longer than you'll own the car.

Unlike some other people on this forum, I don't have the skill (or time/interest) to take on a top or rear window replacement. Labor & materials here in NJ ran me $500 for the plastic window replacement and it looks perfect; it's certainly not a "patch job" or half-assed repair. Total top replacement is more involved, I'm guessing labor alone around here is ~$1000. Add $950 or so for a high quality German canvas GAHH top with glass and now it's almost a $2,000 job, or $1,500 in added cost versus the window alone. Sorry, I just don't see the value for 4x the money.

Keep in mind the value of your car, how long you expect to own it, and the fact that you will periodically have costly repairs competing for your dollars. Prioritize and consider what gives you bang for the buck and I think you'll agree that replacing the plastic, if your canvas is still good, makes infinitely more sense.

Gary
'02 S
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote