Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #1

NY and NJ highway police

Last weekend I went to a wedding in Tuxedo Park, New York. Driving through New York and New Jersey we were struck by two things: the speed limits are slow and highway police are everywhere. How can you stand it?! And don't even get me started about how much we spent on tolls!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #2

Texas Highway Patrol

I don't know, but my last ticket was on I35 between Waco and Dallas. Just the luck of the draw I guess.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #3

the tolls are surreal here. As is the car insurance. But hey we have the country's cheapest gas!

This is a very very densely populated state. It's really hard to find any part of the state where there aren't "a lot" of people. Making matters worse is everyone has two cars. Wait it gets worse...one of those is a stupid SUV (whatever happened to the station wagon concept?). Those big cars bust up the roads during winter which makes repairs costly and frequent. We also have huge health care expenses here which make all those drivers an easy target for tax revenue.
We also have an excellent system of highways that move a ton of people which make it pretty easy for the five-o to set up speed traps and get their cut of your wallet with bull**************** "speeding" tickets.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #4

The highways are getting pretty dangerous in NY, not so much because of speeding but rather texting and cell usage. Since the state ran out of cash, the stop light cameras have been put into place along with plenty more of the famous "purple tie" wearing ticket writers, instant revenue.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #5

Perfectlap, you're right, there were a lot of people on the roads. In addition to the volume, your highways are lined with dense trees which offer great hiding spots. Many of the cops we didn't see until passing them, and we were looking too! Luckily that's a feature omitted when designing Texas.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #6

I just recently did a cross country trip a couple weeks ago to the NYC area, and yes, you are right that there are a ton of NJ and NYS troopers running around loose the closer you get to NYC.

My V1 kept me safe during the whole trip.

I had one situation where the V1 was getting stronger, so I slowed down, changed lanes, and then as I passed an entrance ramp, got to witness the NJ Trooper pull out, and pull over a car that passed me right about the same time that I went past.

As for the tolls, it's free to leave NY, and get into NJ.
But its not free to Leave NJ and get into NY.

When I'm just goofing around, and want to get back into NYC as cheaply as possible, I head north on the Palisades, cross over the $2 Bear Mountain Bridge, then head south into the Bronx, cross into Manhattan, down the FDR, and cross into Queens on the Queensborough Bridge. Any other route costs a heck of a lot more.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:56 AM   #7

originally from dallas and it was a little bit of a culture shock ( police-wise ) moving up here. i will say however, i have never received a speeding ticket since i "became a yankee" as my mother says ( she believes anyone above the red river is a yankee ). the last time i was pulled over was on the nj turnpike ( 85mph ), but the cop was cool and gave me a no seatbelt ticket instead of speeding. i drove from here to dallas and back a few months ago and was only pulled over in tx when exiting the highway ( 51/30 ) no ticket thankfully ). up here the cops seem to be less concerned about speed as with impeding traffic or other infractions. or maybe i'm just lucky.