Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 03:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TrunkSteve
I will always be happier than the Nissan owner.
This is one of the few things I don't agree with on this thread. I'm sure no explanation is necessary.

Here is a picture of my Z that I have owned for close to 25 years:

Sometimes I'll take it to an AutoX when a friend goes along in his '84 944. Our times are very similar, but, in my opinion, this is really where you can see why the P-car was more money. Although my Z is, by far, in better shape, it is just a car. The 944 still feels like it belongs on the track. It has a solid "thump" when you close the doors and has a more solid feel going over uneven payment. His shocks are worn out but it still feels more solid when cornering. Notice my repetitive use of the word “solid.” If his car were in as good a shape as mine, the difference would be even greater.

25 years ago, when both were new, the Z would blow the doors off of the 944 in a straight line, would barely lose on the track, and was much less money. Sound familiar?

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:56 AM   #22

Drove one at a small test drive event last weekend.

Dash & doors are too high (a problem with all modern cars, due to more strict safety regulations), can't see anything around you especially the rear view which the amount of visibility is the size of a mail slot (yes it's worse than ours!)

My head was rubbing the roof with the seat properly adjusted to reach the steering wheel (6'2"). Worst ergonomics I've seen in any modern sports car.

Push button start is pointless. You can't start the car while it's rolling.

Trunk space is a joke - did they put the tranny at the back like the 944?

Don't even understand why this car cost this much $, or why people compare it to our Boxster. People do too much paper reading and have not driven either car.

Last edited by ekam; 10-09-2009 at 04:58 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-00BoxsterS
This is one of the few things I don't agree with on this thread. I'm sure no explanation is necessary.

Here is a picture of my Z that I have owned for close to 25 years:

Sometimes I'll take it to an AutoX when a friend goes along in his '84 944. Our times are very similar, but, in my opinion, this is really where you can see why the P-car was more money. Although my Z is, by far, in better shape, it is just a car. The 944 still feels like it belongs on the track. It has a solid "thump" when you close the doors and has a more solid feel going over uneven payment. His shocks are worn out but it still feels more solid when cornering. Notice my repetitive use of the word “solid.” If his car were in as good a shape as mine, the difference would be even greater.

25 years ago, when both were new, the Z would blow the doors off of the 944 in a straight line, would barely lose on the track, and was much less money. Sound familiar?

I had a 85 non-turbo 5 speed that Ij ust loved.

Your turbo is fine!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:06 AM   #24

My friend has a Z and it's a really nice car but I wanted something different so I bought a Boxster.
thehighheelsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:36 AM   #25

If it has a skirt or wheels it's just gonna be expensive. We like what we like and that's just the way it is. Can you just see someone asking "that one would make just as good of a wife at half the cost, why didn't you pick her?".
When I was much younger, is was at the dealer complaining about the high cost of things and the dealer responded "we could sell them cheaper, but then everybody could drive one"
It's funny that people always want to say "you could have gotten xxx that does the same thing for cheaper", it's the whole package, the lines, the fun of the drive, the feeling of knowing you've got something special that few others have.
Ken

SoCalKen is offline   Reply With Quote