Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #1

Lightbulb Headlight treatment for 986/996?

Ignore the camo for a moment. Take a look at the headlights.

Is anyone selling a vinyl overlay like this in body-color vinyl? Or something similar? I'd love to get rid of the "fried egg" headlights look, but I'm not interested in a 987 Boxster. To any vendors/forum sponsors who are listening, I'll take mine in Speed Yellow, please.

Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #2

Go to eBay and type boxster headlight in the search box.

Here is one seller who sells them in both painted and unpainted

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/racing_raven/m.html?_nkw=boxster&_sacat=&_trksid=p3911.m270.l1313&_odkw=pboxster&_osacat=0

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
pk2

Why ignore the camouflage? Truly unique, boarders brilliance. I had a 9 28 similar to that in the 90's. Anybody can mindlessly shop ebay. for meaningless "me to" dim a dozen, functionless do-dads...to look like every body else

I'm a designer, done some work for BMW & lexus and I follow trends like this stuff with amusement and curiosity. I marvel at how these fads spread. Whats' so bad about amber, it's just a color. If the lenses had came from the factory already de- ambered, what so do you want to bat the cool thing would be to amberize you lights.

I do like the idea of going racing yellow instead of amber. That's clever and unique...start a new rend

Regards, PK
Old 10-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2
Why ignore the camouflage? Truly unique, boarders brilliance. I had a 9 28 similar to that in the 90's. Anybody can mindlessly shop ebay. for meaningless "me to" dim a dozen, functionless do-dads...to look like every body else

I'm a designer, done some work for BMW & lexus and I follow trends like this stuff with amusement and curiosity. I marvel at how these fads spread. Whats' so bad about amber, it's just a color. If the lenses had came from the factory already de- ambered, what so do you want to bat the cool thing would be to amberize you lights.

I do like the idea of going racing yellow instead of amber. That's clever and unique...start a new rend

Regards, PK
Wow. I've never seen someone so completely miss the point of a post.

I don't dislike the camo at all... But the camo has nothing to do with the point of my post. I'm just asking about the headlight treatment.

I have no interest in "de-ambering." (Where did you get that??) I just want to get rid of the "fried egg" look. And I haven't seen ANY 986/996's, other than the camo 996, with headlight covers that mimic the look of "normal" headlights. So I'd hardly say I'm trying to "look like everybody else."

Oh, and the e-bay seller listed below wants $50 for shipping, and "suggests" in his broken English that you pay an extra $5 for "insurance" or he won't be responsible if you receive a broken part. Sorry, no sale. So I'm still looking. (Surely there is a reputable shop that is selling these??)
Old 10-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #5

Found a source...

Google is my friend. Found a couple shops online that have headlight covers in stock.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana S
Wow. I've never seen someone so completely miss the point of a post.

I don't dislike the camo at all..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, always pithy 1st thing Sunday mornings before my first pot of coffee...diner, drinking, Spamalot, more drinking and dancing the nite before (or the like) will do it to me every time.

I'll try to explain snotty predilections later.

Pk

Last edited by pk2; 10-11-2009 at 10:17 PM.
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote