Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #1

Yes, it can be done on jack stands, but either have a buddy handy or a floor jack to help carry the gearbox weight. Both the RMS and the IMS bearing are accessible with the flywheel removed; if I were you I'd be more concerned about the IMS..............

JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #2

Seeking clutch advise

My car is a 98 has 30500 on the clock, unknown how the clutch was treated before I took the vehicle over. Sometimes it slips but only in first and usually only when it's cold. Never has slipped in any other gear, pedal is pretty high and I've already bled and changed the fluid.

I am considering clutch replacement on my own this winter, I have a heated garage but only stands to work under. Has anyone changed one wrenching on their back? How high off the ground does the vehicle need to be to get the gearbox clear? Did you do the RMS while there?

many thanks in advance, if I go for it, I'll post my pics this winter..
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Yes, it can be done on jack stands, but either have a buddy handy or a floor jack to help carry the gearbox weight. Both the RMS and the IMS bearing are accessible with the flywheel removed; if I were you I'd be more concerned about the IMS..............

I have zero concerns about the IMS, my car has exhibited no symptoms and the 98's do not have a serviceable IMS without further dis assembly. If it ever blows I'll figure out the next step then. I just thought I'd do the seal while I'm there.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #4

It can easily be done on your back. I have done it many times in the past few months. You can check the ims bearing to see if you have a dual row or a single row bearing. If you have a single it can be upgraded. To do the tranny on your back you just get the car on jack stands pretty high. Take the muffler off, unbolt the axles, unbolt the clutch slave cylinder, undo the bell housing bolts, the shift linkages, and i dropped mine with a floor jack. I have also dropped mine with a motorcycle jack (thats how I pull the motor also, it has good surface area). It is not that tuff of a job. You have to support the engine though with a third jack stand. There are many people here who could walk you through it. Let me know if you need more help. I am no pro but can get the job done. There are many other more trained people here if you need them. Good luck.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #5

98 would have a double row, and yes, it can be upgraded as easy as the single row. We've had a kit that's been fine tuned by Jake @ Flat 6 since May for the double row IMS.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:12 AM   #6

Thanks for all the info so far, I had not considered upgrading the IMS as I thought I read it couldn't be done. This sounds like the most ambitious (and expensive) project I've ever done, I'll keep everyone posted.. Are there photos of the IMS changeout? Is it plug and play? Given it's job it seems like changing it would be a tricky job.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 08-26-2009 at 10:23 AM.