Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
I couldn't find any 6 speed pics. I see this more often on 5 speeds (but they both utilize the same crappy system)

B
Brad, speaking of 5 & 6 speed gearboxes, do you think that you could use a 5 speed tranny on a Cayman S for the short track events, in order to have a taller gear ratio..?

If so, having a 3.4 pulling through a 5 speed should be fun (obviously not being concerned about fuel economy..)

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #22

Gilles,

You can do one better.. and get exactly what you want:

These 5 speeds are Audi/VW gearboxes. You can get something for around $500 with gear ratios better suited for track use or whatever and swap them in and out as needed. No need to stick with the Porsche 5 speed when the Audi/VW's have better ratio's in some of them. It took me over a year to locate the different tranny's and to learn what was available "stock" that would benefit my customers at the track

Then I located a nice German fellow who imports used and new parts from Europe in 3 containers every 6 weeks I started buying air cooled engines from him 10 years ago and have maintained a good relationship with him. He specializes in European auctions and brings stuff over to sell Guess where I get Euro ratio'd tranny's when needed ?? LOL

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #23

Sorry .. I realized I was not clear:

Yes. You can use a 5 speed in your car. The output flanges from the 6 speed go right into the diff of the 5 speed.

The only unknown right now (for me) is axle length between the two cars. I know in the 986 2.5 and 2.7 5 speeds that the axles are shorter than the 986S axles (I have converted several 5 speeds cars to 6 speed cars within the last 3 months)

That being said: custom axles run $250 per side + CV joints. I reuse in the inboard CV's if they look good (they are serviceable)

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #24
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Gilles,

You can do one better.. and get exactly what you want:

These 5 speeds are Audi/VW gearboxes. You can get something for around $500 with gear ratios better suited for track use or whatever and swap them in and out as needed. No need to stick with the Porsche 5 speed when the Audi/VW's have better ratio's in some of them. It took me over a year to locate the different tranny's and to learn what was available "stock" that would benefit my customers at the track

Then I located a nice German fellow who imports used and new parts from Europe in 3 containers every 6 weeks I started buying air cooled engines from him 10 years ago and have maintained a good relationship with him. He specializes in European auctions and brings stuff over to sell Guess where I get Euro ratio'd tranny's when needed ?? LOL
B
Brad, do you know why Porsche changed the 5-speed gearing to be longer in the 2.7L 986 models vs. the earlier 2.5L versions? With the shorter gearing in the 2.5L 986, even though it has 16 less hp than the 2.7L version, it can accelerate better to 60mph. Why didn't they just keep the shorter gearing of the 2.5? Just curious, as it seems ridiculous to increase the power, but then make it sprint slower. Granted the 0-100 and 60-100 times are faster in the 2.7, but still.

Performance between model yrs: http://www.weissach.net/986-987_RoadTestSummary.html

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 03-23-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #25
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

Here are the two cables in the bracket on a 6 speed. I've added the zip tie to the one that slipped out.
Attached Images

Last edited by tommy986; 05-23-2011 at 09:21 AM.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #26

The ideal tranny?

The 2.5 5speed with the 2.7 5 speed 5th gear.

The 2.5 just falls on its face when you upshift to 5th gear the 2.7 5 speed continues to pull!!

B
Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Sorry .. I realized I was not clear:

Yes. You can use a 5 speed in your car. The output flanges from the 6 speed go right into the diff of the 5 speed.

The only unknown right now (for me) is axle length between the two cars. I know in the 986 2.5 and 2.7 5 speeds that the axles are shorter than the 986S axles (I have converted several 5 speeds cars to 6 speed cars within the last 3 months)

That being said: custom axles run $250 per side + CV joints. I reuse in the inboard CV's if they look good (they are serviceable)

B
Hey Brad, do you have a shop? I noticed that 911 Design is close to Alta Loma (I live in OC) and I would like to stop to get more details about this topic (if you don't mind of course), do you guys open Saturday?
Please let me know, thank you.
Gilles
Old 03-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #28

Hi,

I live in Alta Loma north of the 210 off Celestite

The shop is at Willow Springs race track

I'm typically home 2-3 days a week and you are welcome to come by the house if you don't want to meet up at the shop.

There is no signage on the Willows shop, but you drive right past it every time you go into the track. Large blue and white 58ft Featherlight sits out front.

B
Old 03-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Hi,

I live in Alta Loma north of the 210 off Celestite

The shop is at Willow Springs race track

I'm typically home 2-3 days a week and you are welcome to come by the house if you don't want to meet up at the shop.

There is no signage on the Willows shop, but you drive right past it every time you go into the track. Large blue and white 58ft Featherlight sits out front.

B
Brad, on May 1st we have a POC event (Tripple Crown Event) at WSR

However your house it's MUCH closer, thanks for the offer!

Are you home during the weekends?

Thanks,
Gilles
Old 03-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #30

I'm engineering/doing data work for a Grand Am team this year, so my weekends are pretty tied up. This weekend I'll be at the shop, and the weekend after I'm at Barber for the next GA event.

I run down to Costa Mesa quite bit. I develop parts with RSS/Suttgart so I'm down there during the week several times a month. We can meet somewhere if that is easier. I know I'll be down there early next week picking up some machined parts for our Grand Am Porsche.

B
Old 08-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #31

I just joined the club...lost R,1,3,5

is there a special handshake you get to learn when you join the club?

I lost reverse and 1,3,5 gears on my way home from work today. haven't pulled the console out yet but based on this thread I'm thinking my issue might be at the rear. there's a ferocious bump on the freeway onramp I take on my way home from work...just near that bump I'm upshifting to 3rd...I went from pulling pretty hard at the top of 2nd to what 'the heck is that' feeling as I'm unable to find third.

I'll let people know what's up when mine's diagnosed.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #32

ID'd and fixed

cable had come out of the bracket at the rear. easy fix. the two metal clamps were intact though I'm not sure they're of much good. I heavily zip-tied it.