Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #1

07 top cables are out of alignment

Hi,

Just joined this wonderful forum in hopes that someone can shed light on an issue with my 07. The passenger side has excessive wind noise when the top is up and it seems that the canvas does not close inside the plastic rail. The canvas is always on the outside of the plastic rail and should be inside. I've taken it to the Albuquerque Porsche dealership and they have no clue how to fix it. In fact they kept the car for 7 days trying to figure out how to adjust the cables.

Does anyone know how I can adjust the cable so the canvas closes up nice and tight when the top goes up? The only other thing to do is take the car up to Colorado for repair since their is only one Porsche dealership in New Mexico and I'm very reluctant to take my car there for any reason.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help out.

skates15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Man, that dealer must have some really incompetent techs employed there. Show them this link....

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/convertibletopedgedoesnotfallintoguidech

Since your car is under warranty, they should cover any adjustments for free.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #3

Thank you for the timely link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Man, that dealer must have some really incompetent techs employed there. Show them this link....

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/convertibletopedgedoesnotfallintoguidech

Since your car is under warranty, they should cover any adjustments for free.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! That is it exactly and I've had a very hard time finding this information on the web. Yes, the dealership is incompetent and they do cover this under warranty, however keeping a car for 7 days in the back of the dealership and unlocked (I did a walk through) at that.

The other issues I had was the seat was loose on the rail and they claimed it was in spec until I showed them that it moved side by side, and my brakes, the pedal sounds like a spring is going to snap...they also say this is in spec, but I don't think so and will post in another thread. The car only has 17K on it.

Thanks again for all the help!!
Old 07-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skates15
Thank you, thank you, thank you! That is it exactly and I've had a very hard time finding this information on the web. Yes, the dealership is incompetent and they do cover this under warranty, however keeping a car for 7 days in the back of the dealership and unlocked (I did a walk through) at that.

The other issues I had was the seat was loose on the rail and they claimed it was in spec until I showed them that it moved side by side, and my brakes, the pedal sounds like a spring is going to snap...they also say this is in spec, but I don't think so and will post in another thread. The car only has 17K on it.

Thanks again for all the help!!
Glad to help. Hope it works out for you with that dealer. I'm really surprised they don't at least have one tech there who has knowledge of how the tops are put together. Pretty pathetic.

They should be able to easily tighten the seat bolts for you to spec. Not sure what's wrong with your brake pedal, as I've never experienced a problem myself with that part, but being that brakes are a pretty important function of the car, I'd make them fix it!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #5

Well, I found out what was wrong. I took the link, printed it out and started to look things over with the top half up. Lo and behold, one of the straps holding the cable in place where the top keeps poping out of the guide is torn, so the cable won't pull that particular piece of fabric close to the guide.

Took me 2 minutes to find, literally, while the dealership in Albuquerque kept my car on the lot for 7 days, after which they said it was fixed. Well, long story short it was never fixed.

I just don't get it. Maybe they are billing Porsche for warranty repairs they have no intent to make...meaning if I brought it in for repairs 4 times for the same issue, maybe they've found a way to milk the system from Porsche.

Oh well, enough of all this. I'll go to Colorado for repairs.