Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #1

Garage Lifts

What kind of lifts will be ok to lift the Porsche Boxster up with. I have heard the H lifts will bend the lifting points and there is no frame that I know of to lift by, the drive onto is ok but can't take wheels off. So which lift can be use.
Thanks.

Porsche auto service is out of the question...SO I am trying to find a independent service station to do oil changes and wheel balancing just little pee on stuff. I am new to the porsche so want to take care of it the best I can without going broke at a porsche dealership.

6+6=fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6+6=fun
What kind of lifts will be ok to lift the Porsche Boxster up with. I have heard the H lifts will bend the lifting points and there is no frame that I know of to lift by, the drive onto is ok but can't take wheels off. So which lift can be use.
Thanks.

Porsche auto service is out of the question...SO I am trying to find a independent service station to do oil changes and wheel balancing just little pee on stuff. I am new to the porsche so want to take care of it the best I can without going broke at a porsche dealership.

Look at BendPak twin post lifts, have three of them and they have been great. They also have "drive on" sytles with trolley's that allow you to jack up the car while it is on the lift.
http://www.bendpak.com/

JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #3

I've always wanted one of these when I grow up:

I've seen them in use and they're pretty slick!

6,000 lb. Scissor Lift

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 07-23-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
We used to have the Bend Pak version before we added the third lift. Worked really well and was a bargin for about $1600 new.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-23-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
pk2

I have one like the Vette's on. on in JFP's post but to be honest, I almost prefer a good old floor jacks and stands. If you ever work with your arms over your head for a long time they begin to feel like they're going to fall off.

I know it defies conventional wisdom but so do I I guess,

PK
Old 07-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #6

If you can afford the Bend Pak, you can afford the Porsche dealer and their PU and delivery service, so then there's the reasonable scissor lift. Trougle with that is that I'd never put myself under that thing, so it's not really as good as simple jackstands. And it's not high enough to do any serious mech work like an engine drop. It's just more convenient than jackstands. I'm assuming that the guy wiht the gray Corvette parks over it daily. Otherwise he's be wasting a garage bay.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #7

Someone on 6speed has the 4 post Bend Pak for sale for $1,600 (used). A real steal if you ask me. But you need to be in the Seattle area for pick up.

I have to agree with Bobiam though... if you're trying to save money spend $100 on a good jack and jack stands. You can do all regular maintenance with just those things. Sure you have to get on your back a bit, but unless you're extremely elderly and arthritic I don't really see what the issue is.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
If you can afford the Bend Pak, you can afford the Porsche dealer and their PU and delivery service, so then there's the reasonable scissor lift. Trougle with that is that I'd never put myself under that thing, so it's not really as good as simple jackstands. And it's not high enough to do any serious mech work like an engine drop. It's just more convenient than jackstands. I'm assuming that the guy wiht the gray Corvette parks over it daily. Otherwise he's be wasting a garage bay.
Actually, the unit if very stable and easy to work with. It also has well engineered safety locks to prevent problems. While we never pulled an engine on it, we have done a couple of clutches and rear suspension projects. Never had a real issue or problems, and can honestly say both I and my crew never felt unsafe working with it. As for your arms getting tired, considering they are over your head on the bigger twin posts as well, I don’t really see that as a problem.

It was originally designed as an alternative for those with limited overhead clearance or insufficient floor thickness (the twin post have a minimum floor thickness requirement), or for those that didn’t want a “permanent” installation such as property renters. For “backyard DIY’ers” it is a great tool; in fact, when I put mine up for sale, we got a flood of interested parties, particularly because it fits under most cars when all the way down, so you can park over it……...

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-24-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
We used to have the Bend Pak version before we added the third lift. Worked really well and was a bargin for about $1600 new.

I SOOOOOO want one of those! (the lift, though I wouldn't mind the car either)
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
[COLOR=Red]

It's been painted black as not to have it stand out as much.

As you can see it's wide enough and sturdy enough to put a Ford GT up on it. And it has the necessary pans for drips that are required when you put an american car in the air.

Last edited by yellowboxster01; 07-27-2009 at 07:36 AM.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #11

Garage
I have the 4 post BendPak lift. I bought it mostly for storage (to turn the 3 car garage into a 4 car garage), but it has been handy for oil changes and other minor jobs so far. They have a 'wider' option for about $100 more that makes it very easy do drive under every day.
Good luck!
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard

I've seen them in use and they're pretty slick!

6,000 lb. Scissor Lift

How do you get at anything??

PS I want yellowboxster's car collection on my next trip to Earth, very nice my man..
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #13

Garage
Scissor lifts

These types of split lifts have room between the lifting pads so you can work on the bottom of the car. Much better than the cheap type and still only about $2100. Go to Gregsmithequipment.com .

Tried to upload a pic, guess I dont know what I'm doing.

Last edited by mmontfort; 07-27-2009 at 03:38 PM.
mmontfort is offline   Reply With Quote