Thread: Garage Lifts
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
If you can afford the Bend Pak, you can afford the Porsche dealer and their PU and delivery service, so then there's the reasonable scissor lift. Trougle with that is that I'd never put myself under that thing, so it's not really as good as simple jackstands. And it's not high enough to do any serious mech work like an engine drop. It's just more convenient than jackstands. I'm assuming that the guy wiht the gray Corvette parks over it daily. Otherwise he's be wasting a garage bay.
Actually, the unit if very stable and easy to work with. It also has well engineered safety locks to prevent problems. While we never pulled an engine on it, we have done a couple of clutches and rear suspension projects. Never had a real issue or problems, and can honestly say both I and my crew never felt unsafe working with it. As for your arms getting tired, considering they are over your head on the bigger twin posts as well, I don’t really see that as a problem.

It was originally designed as an alternative for those with limited overhead clearance or insufficient floor thickness (the twin post have a minimum floor thickness requirement), or for those that didn’t want a “permanent” installation such as property renters. For “backyard DIY’ers” it is a great tool; in fact, when I put mine up for sale, we got a flood of interested parties, particularly because it fits under most cars when all the way down, so you can park over it……...

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-24-2009 at 08:36 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote