Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #1

REpairing scratches...what works best?

I have a few new scratches in my 06 Seal Gray Boxster. I have seen mixed reviews on Langka and Dr Color Chip products. I have seen others mentioning calling dealership and seeing who they use for "touchups". There was mention of getting the chips and scratches airbrushed with the overflow paint removed by acetone, etc. Touchup paint thru porsche seems to be a bad idea as it is darker than car paint

What have people had good experience with especially with this color? ANy use the Dr Color Chip and Langka products? Anyone gotten airbrushing?

TSS4LSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #2

I, too, have a seal gray. I have used the Dr. Colorchip and was reasonably happy with it. It's like when you paint a room in your house: If you look at all closely, you can see your screw-ups (esp since you know where they are), but virtually no one else is gonna notice.

I also tried the actual Porsche touch-up paint, and observed: 1) It is not an exact match, color-wise, though it's close; and 2) it's harder to use than the DCC, which is almost mind-numbingly easy. I'm sure some people may be better in their technique of using touch-up paint than me, and they may prefer that route. For me, there just wasn't enough of a difference to justify using the more difficult touch-up paint.

If you use the DCC, I'd recommend leaving it 30 min (even an hour) before wiping it down with the pink stuff (used to remove the "overspay"). It takes a few more passes with the rag to get off the excess, but it's not difficult or time-consuming. If you use the pink stuff too early, I found it tended to pull the paint out of the area (scratch, rock chip) you want the paint to stay.

BTW, I'm keeping my Porsche touch-up paint. I find it is easier to use in certain places. Example: if you happen to bang your door edge against something you shouldn't, I find it easier and more effective to use the touch-up paint to repair your blunder.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #3

Garage
I have a black 2002, and have also used both OEM and DCC. The DCC did a good job on most small chips (didn't really have any scratches). On a few deeper chips, I re-applied after a week or so and built up the thickness to try to match the factory paint.
Another tip is to not wait too long before using the pink stuff. I was doing a number of chips, and missed a hidden one when I was using the pink stuff. When I noticed it a few days later, the excess wouldn't come off. Luckily I didn't have too much excess, and it is hidden.
Good luck.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #4

Quote: "When I noticed it a few days later, the excess wouldn't come off. "

Posted by MN 986.

Yeah, you certainly don't want to wait that long to remove it!

BTW, there have been lots of threads on this topic. Use the "Search" function---you'll probably find more than you want to read.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote