Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #1

Best Box for me: 986 or 987?

I'm pretty new here. Just test drove a MY09 (PDK and manual). Brilliant car, but....

.....I'm now thinking that that $1000+/mo for a car is rediculous--the new 987s are insanely expensive. I'm only 35. I can spend such a wad when closer to retirement.

I've had a Miata (NB), then MY08 S2000, now ready for a Boxster.

Needs: Fun to drive, acceleration not as important as cornering, need a clutch that isn't heavy due to bad back (Clutch in the MY09 I drove was light as a reference), can't work on car myself (back issue again), this will be my DD.

Price: willing to shell out ~$25-27k--This puts me in late 986 and possible early 987 regime (higher mileage).

Is there any reason NOT to buy the newest one I can afford? i.e. does anyone see any advantages to buying say a late 986 vs early 987?

I'm aware of the potential IMS issues. But just wondering if anyone has driven/owned both and found the older model better in any respects.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I'm dying to join the club!!

CRCGuy

CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #2

I haven't driven both, but I have an '01 and really wish I had glass window. Other than that it feels like a new car.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #3

I've had both (previous Box was a beautiful Lapis blue 01S). Personnally the only thing I think is better with a 986 v a 987 is the exterior. I think the 986 is sexier. But the interior is better in a 987. The shifter is light yrs better. The performance of a base 987 is almost the same as a 986S. There hasn't been a day when I wished I had my 986S back.

But that's just my $0.02 worth.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #4

I would generally buy the "most" I can afford, meaning an early 987
You should also do some research on RMS and IMS issues which all Boxster models are notorious for (I had both on my 2002 986), the older models more than the newer, but it's hard to make a general rule here

Do your research, but be advised:
RMS: ~ $1k
IMS: ~ $15k (no typo)
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #5

Hi, I have an '04 986S and find it to be all I need. I love the look of both the exterior and interior, but that's a personal preference. I agree that the glass rear window is critical. It seems like a minor issue, but it's not.

The 987 has improvements over the 986. From what I understand there's more light-weight components in the suspension. The seats have the anti-whiplash head rests. The engine has a bit more power, and I'm sure there are other things too.

Will you notice the difference between them? Possibly. But, I think you'll be very happy with a well maintained 986S. If you go for a 986 look into the 2004 550 edition.

Good luck
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #6

I was going to buy a new Cayman -- then decided to buy a used Boxster as a "test". I wasn't sure that I could live with a 2 seat mid-engined Porsche as a DD. After a year or two, I figured I'd just go out and buy a new Cayman S (or Box S) if my test worked out.

I bought an '02 S with 11K miles in flawless condition for under 25K. That was 2 years ago, and a lot has happened since then. I think you can find a comparable car today in the high teens. My car has the Xenon headlights (litronic), glass rear window (aftermarket), PSM and windstops. I think all of those features are mandatory in a 986.

Also, since my car is a DD, I have also invested in a set of winter tires and a hardtop (might not be needed in the south).

Turns out that I absolutely love my Boxster. I really have no interest at all to go buy a new one. I've since put 20K+ miles on it.

If I were doing it again, I'd pay up a little and get an '07 or even '08 987 with a bit of warranty remaining. Shop around, there are deals to be had. The Boxster is a great car -- one that your likely to want to keep for a long time.

Good luck.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
The shifter is light yrs better.
The 987 shifter fits in the 986. An easy retrofit, even with a game back. And the part is pretty cheap, for Porsche (under $200)
Old 06-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #8

I have a 986 base. I sometimes wish I had more power - but not enough to want to sell mine, buy another one, etc.

only think I don't like is the plastic window. definitely go 2003+.

I'd look at dealers and see how cheap/old you can go and still find a good CPO car.

once you do your hoemwork, you'll find where the "sweet spot" is for how new y ou can go and whether it's a base or s. obvioulsy, in general, more miles = cheaper. older model year = cheaper. base is cheaper than an S. older S might cost similar to a newer base. try them both and see how badly you like hte power of an S. newer base might be close enough to the older S to make it a better buy.

try to get litronics. try to get the sport suspension if you can. get 18" wheels instead of 17"s. full leather is a nice option if you want the interior to look more upscale. the 987 interior looks better than the 986.

whatever you get, yhou will love it. the car is so much fun.

in your price range, I think I'd go for a newer/lower mileage BASE 987.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #9

Thanks all for the replies! Great information and aligned with my current line of thought and gut feeling.

I have to say I've been very impressed with this forum so far. I've been a member of countless others---this one is tops. Really great people here giving honest opinions and not trashing each other's comments all the time. Seems to be a much more "mature" crowd (in attitude not necessarily age )

CRCGuy
Old 06-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
The 987 shifter fits in the 986. An easy retrofit, even with a game back. And the part is pretty cheap, for Porsche (under $200)

wow. Never would have thought it would be that easy (or cheap). Will keep in mind.

I test drove a MY99 back in 2006. The shifter felt really clumsy/rubbery (I even missed some gears) and the clutch was ungodly heavy. I didn't know if that was normal or if it had a problem. Guess I need to drive another one---in another post someone said this may not be normal. Appeared to have been abused. but if could replace the shifter that sweetens the deal (assuming clutch is lighter than the one i tested).

Last edited by CRCGuy; 06-24-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:17 AM   #11

I have a base (non-S) 2000 Boxster and love it. I personally like the looks of the 986 outside and inside better than the 987. I have had no mechanical problems. Like other members of the forum, I would definately purchase a car with a rear glass window. I added an aftermarket GAHH top with the glass window and have very pleased for about $1300. For the money you are willing to spend, I would purchased an S model for a bit more acceleration and some nicer electronics in the car. With the prices of used cars dropping, you should be able to purchase a nice car with a rear glass window for no more than $18,000. That way you can have extra money if and when repairs are needed.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #12

Owned 2 986s

Currently an '01S. Previously a '99 2,5.

If I were buying today, it would be a tough choice. The 987 ('05-'08) is a better car. But the 986 is so much cheaper and you can have the same amount of fun in a 986. Pretty much the same engine and maintenance. I get complements almost every time I take mine out and it is a nothing special Arctic Silver car with almost no special mods or wheels to make it stand out. From kids to grandmas, they all still comment on it.

My web site has a list of the differences/improvements between the 986-987 you may find useful. Also Edmunds would have a review of the 2005 which would describe the changes in more detail.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:59 AM   #13

If you live in a snow area then you need to buy a winter beater. While the Boxster does work in the snow, it is not happy there - too many delicate parts that don't like slush accumulation. Also the older Boxsters had no TC and no stability control (very useful in the snow). Boxsters like to be garaged in the winter.

If you live in a non-snow area i would still consider buying a beater. Boxsters can be expensive to repair and sometimes the parts availability is slow so potentially more downtime.

Bottom line - daily driver + limited $$s + expensive car + no DIY = expect to pay through the nose when it breaks.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:09 AM   #14

987 base vs 986 base is a no brainer. Get the 987. Used 987's are pretty cheap now as well. Now, if we're talking 2003-2004 S vs 987 base then the decision is much harder for most people. Price is comparable so the only only way to know which one is for you is to drive each and make a decision because it could go either way. Either way you go, you can't go wrong. Let us know how it turns out!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:55 AM   #15

My 2000 Boxster S had better steering feel than my 2006 Boxster S. The steering is quicker in the 987 but less communicative. You don't feel as much of the road vibrations.

I also prefer the firmer brake pedal feel of the 986 vs the 987's softer pedal.

But other than those 2 things the 987 wins in every department.
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:07 AM   #16

I suppose I could save even more money by not getting the S model. I know with the MY09 I've heard some comments in forums and even road test magazines that the base boxster is actually more fun to drive since you can really use the entire powerband and RPM range. I've always been a believer in the axiom that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

I don't race people at stoplights...I just enjoy all the experiences driving brings--cornering, revving the engine (esp when it has a glorious sound) etc...having said that, I did get a bit tired of lack of power in my 95 miata--tho still fun to drive.

I'm pretty sure a base MY09 would be plenty fun and the S a bit too much--(by the time I'm pushing her hard I'm way over the speed limit anyway). Not sure about the older 986 models---may be a bit too underpowered in non-S trim??
Old 07-01-2009, 05:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCGuy

I'm pretty sure a base MY09 would be plenty fun and the S a bit too much--(by the time I'm pushing her hard I'm way over the speed limit anyway). Not sure about the older 986 models---may be a bit too underpowered in non-S trim??
Go and find some cars in your price range and see if you can get some time behind the wheel. I would try to drive and look at as many variations as possible and buy a nice clean example. The 2009 base model has a 2.9L 255hp engine and is more powerful than earlier years. Porsche has gradually increased power since the inception of the boxster so the later the model, the more power you will find. The early 97-99 2.5L cars had around 200hp and then it goes up from there.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #18

Thanks Adam. Great advice. And actually, since I really prefer glass rear window (prior Miata experience) I could limit the range even further since I would be looking at--- 2003+ right? that means 228 hp+ for the base. Only a 27hp difference from the 09 base I drove. Likely insignificant for my situation. I probably wouldn't notice the difference unless there was a very substantial difference in the torque vs. rpm curve.

CRCGuy

By the way, nice ride! The only thing I know about the first Box I purchase is that it will be Guards Red. I just can't see myself washing, polishing and waxing a car of any other color...
Old 07-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCGuy
Thanks Adam. Great advice. And actually, since I really prefer glass rear window (prior Miata experience) I could limit the range even further since I would be looking at--- 2003+ right? that means 228 hp+ for the base. Only a 27hp difference from the 09 base I drove. Likely insignificant for my situation. I probably wouldn't notice the difference unless there was a very substantial difference in the torque vs. rpm curve.

CRCGuy

By the way, nice ride! The only thing I know about the first Box I purchase is that it will be Guards Red. I just can't see myself washing, polishing and waxing a car of any other color...
Hey thanks for the nice compliment! I love my 03 and it has been a great car. I agree on the color...red is the way to go! I think you'll be very happy with an 03 or 04 base model. They have the glass rear window and 228 hp 2.7L engine. You can find exceptional 03-04 cars in your price range so be picky and shop around.