Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #1

Looking to gauge interest - Boxster Flares

I just finalized with the manufacturer, my own style of flares and side skirts for all 986 Boxsters. The flares will look like RGT flares and will be bolt on flares. Let me know of interest. The flares will allow 911 wheels and offsets and may be able to fit as large as 12" wide wheels.

ernstj911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #2

76 views and no opinions? The idea was to put some serious rubber under a 986. Might look neat also. Think of RGT meets Boxster. The manufacturing plant is doing the molds now. This photo is not the finalized product, but will look something similar, only the rear flares will not cover the side skirts.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #3

Nice car! What rear wing is that?

I'm not a fan of the flares but to each his own. What size rubber are you thinking of in the rear?
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #4

I think people are just being nice by not saying anything at all because they don't like them. I don't care for them personally, but others don't like the way I've bolted stuff onto my boxster so to each his own!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Well, if you have to know, I personally don't care for them on a Boxster.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #6

Until you can race the car in something other than the spec Boxster series (think GT), there won't be a market; unless you wish to be a street wannabee.

Just my humble opinion, but I do like the looks.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #7

Flare / Aero Kits are not for me but I would think (and many won't appreciate this but I believe it to be true) that with the "affordibility index" of the Boxster going where it is.......there will be more of a market for this type of product. Younger buyers comibined with the declining prices will generate more interest in modding and aftermarket options. Heck.....I've seen fake portholes on GTO's lol.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:41 AM   #8
Track rat

Garage
No interest. We can already fit 285s in the stock wells. I can't imagine ever wanting more than that.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #9

Tired of the look. Do something original. We were putting GT3R body work on Boxsters in 01 less than 2 years after the 996GT3R was released. I can name off 3-4 manufacturers right now.. that sell the SAME pieces.

Honestly?

You should ask the questions **before** you have molds made. I can list off a total of 5 Boxster's that already the same pieces.

I hate to sound like a party pooper.. but I have been down this same path multiple times with other products I have developed.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Instead of flares, how bout making cheap, but good fitting side skirts and front GT3 style bumpers (in Polyeurethane!) for $500 each?!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #11

He is located near a major manufacturer of Porsche racing fiberglass. I would *imagine* this is who he is working with. There is a shop/guy near Orlando that makes the racing glass you see on the current 997 GT3RSR's (unless the team is a junior Porsche team).. then they have to buy from Porsche Motorsports.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
Tired of the look. Do something original. We were putting GT3R body work on Boxsters in 01 less than 2 years after the 996GT3R was released. I can name off 3-4 manufacturers right now.. that sell the SAME pieces.

Honestly?

You should ask the questions **before** you have molds made. I can list off a total of 5 Boxster's that already the same pieces.

I hate to sound like a party pooper.. but I have been down this same path multiple times with other products I have developed.

B

Thanks Brad, like I said, I am trying to gauge interest. I respect that fact that you have been down the road before and have experience with after market products.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #13

I like the flares in your pics... but I would only put them on my car if I were developing a killer autox or track monster. I'm not at this time, but may when my kids head of to college in a few years...
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #14

I'd be more interested in cheaper side skirts and GT3 bumpers as well.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #15

It may not sound like it, but I'm looking out for you Just within 2 hours of my house here in SoCal, I can name off 4-5 companies already selling these pieces. I'd hate to see you go down the same path! I do believe more and more people are modding their Boxster's (based on my parts sales and others) but there is already market coverage for these types of pieces.

I recently had fiberglass "skins" made of the factory hard top. Mine weigh 8lbs 6oz, a full 10lbs less than others.. but the market is REALLY small. Only the racers will want or need them

b
Old 06-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
It may not sound like it, but I'm looking out for you Just within 2 hours of my house here in SoCal, I can name off 4-5 companies already selling these pieces. I'd hate to see you go down the same path! I do believe more and more people are modding their Boxster's (based on my parts sales and others) but there is already market coverage for these types of pieces.

I recently had fiberglass "skins" made of the factory hard top. Mine weigh 8lbs 6oz, a full 10lbs less than others.. but the market is REALLY small. Only the racers will want or need them

b
Brad, Please check your PM's and contact me regarding my parts order.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #17

Great. I get this email about a new post? but I don't see an email for a PM?

B