986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Looking to gauge interest - Boxster Flares (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/20880-looking-gauge-interest-boxster-flares.html)

ernstj911 06-05-2009 11:39 AM

Looking to gauge interest - Boxster Flares

I just finalized with the manufacturer, my own style of flares and side skirts for all 986 Boxsters. The flares will look like RGT flares and will be bolt on flares. Let me know of interest. The flares will allow 911 wheels and offsets and may be able to fit as large as 12" wide wheels.

ernstj911 06-10-2009 03:56 PM

76 views and no opinions? The idea was to put some serious rubber under a 986. Might look neat also. Think of RGT meets Boxster. The manufacturing plant is doing the molds now. This photo is not the finalized product, but will look something similar, only the rear flares will not cover the side skirts. :confused:

Sammy 06-10-2009 05:39 PM

Nice car! What rear wing is that?

I'm not a fan of the flares but to each his own. What size rubber are you thinking of in the rear?

RandallNeighbour 06-10-2009 06:03 PM

I think people are just being nice by not saying anything at all because they don't like them. I don't care for them personally, but others don't like the way I've bolted stuff onto my boxster so to each his own!

Boxtaboy 06-10-2009 06:08 PM

Well, if you have to know, I personally don't care for them on a Boxster.

jmatta 06-10-2009 06:09 PM

Until you can race the car in something other than the spec Boxster series (think GT), there won't be a market; unless you wish to be a street wannabee.

Just my humble opinion, but I do like the looks.

coreseller 06-10-2009 06:51 PM

Flare / Aero Kits are not for me but I would think (and many won't appreciate this but I believe it to be true) that with the "affordibility index" of the Boxster going where it is.......there will be more of a market for this type of product. Younger buyers comibined with the declining prices will generate more interest in modding and aftermarket options. Heck.....I've seen fake portholes on GTO's lol. :cheers:

Topless 06-11-2009 06:41 AM

No interest. We can already fit 285s in the stock wells. I can't imagine ever wanting more than that.

Brad Roberts 06-11-2009 08:14 AM

Tired of the look. Do something original. We were putting GT3R body work on Boxsters in 01 less than 2 years after the 996GT3R was released. I can name off 3-4 manufacturers right now.. that sell the SAME pieces.

Honestly?

You should ask the questions **before** you have molds made. I can list off a total of 5 Boxster's that already the same pieces.

I hate to sound like a party pooper.. but I have been down this same path multiple times with other products I have developed.

B

Boxtaboy 06-11-2009 08:43 AM

Instead of flares, how bout making cheap, but good fitting side skirts and front GT3 style bumpers (in Polyeurethane!) for $500 each?! :D

Brad Roberts 06-11-2009 08:47 AM

He is located near a major manufacturer of Porsche racing fiberglass. I would *imagine* this is who he is working with. There is a shop/guy near Orlando that makes the racing glass you see on the current 997 GT3RSR's (unless the team is a junior Porsche team).. then they have to buy from Porsche Motorsports.

B

ernstj911 06-11-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
Tired of the look. Do something original. We were putting GT3R body work on Boxsters in 01 less than 2 years after the 996GT3R was released. I can name off 3-4 manufacturers right now.. that sell the SAME pieces.

Honestly?

You should ask the questions **before** you have molds made. I can list off a total of 5 Boxster's that already the same pieces.

I hate to sound like a party pooper.. but I have been down this same path multiple times with other products I have developed.

B

Thanks Brad, like I said, I am trying to gauge interest. I respect that fact that you have been down the road before and have experience with after market products.

Lucky 06-11-2009 01:48 PM

I like the flares in your pics... but I would only put them on my car if I were developing a killer autox or track monster. I'm not at this time, but may when my kids head of to college in a few years...

angman 06-11-2009 02:47 PM

I'd be more interested in cheaper side skirts and GT3 bumpers as well.

Brad Roberts 06-11-2009 02:47 PM

It may not sound like it, but I'm looking out for you :) Just within 2 hours of my house here in SoCal, I can name off 4-5 companies already selling these pieces. I'd hate to see you go down the same path! I do believe more and more people are modding their Boxster's (based on my parts sales and others) but there is already market coverage for these types of pieces.

I recently had fiberglass "skins" made of the factory hard top. Mine weigh 8lbs 6oz, a full 10lbs less than others.. but the market is REALLY small. Only the racers will want or need them :)

b

Sammy 06-11-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
It may not sound like it, but I'm looking out for you :) Just within 2 hours of my house here in SoCal, I can name off 4-5 companies already selling these pieces. I'd hate to see you go down the same path! I do believe more and more people are modding their Boxster's (based on my parts sales and others) but there is already market coverage for these types of pieces.

I recently had fiberglass "skins" made of the factory hard top. Mine weigh 8lbs 6oz, a full 10lbs less than others.. but the market is REALLY small. Only the racers will want or need them :)

b

Brad, Please check your PM's and contact me regarding my parts order.

Brad Roberts 06-11-2009 04:31 PM

Great. I get this email about a new post? but I don't see an email for a PM?

B