Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2005, 11:36 AM   #1

What should I buy

I joined this forum to get some information on this fine sports car. I have a S2000 right now and I love the car. Now I'm looking for a new ride and I'm having a difficult time deciding between two cars. I'm looking at the SLK55 and the Boxster S. The SLK55 is a GT sport car and its faster in a straight line. The Boxster is a pure sports car more like my S2000. I now believe the Boxster is even more of a sport car with all the new changes that have been made. For those that have Boxster have you been happy with the car. Would you buy another one and have you had any trouble with the car. A mid- engine car must be a blast to drive on a curvy road and now with the extra power it should be quicker on the straight a-ways. I haven't driven a Boxster yet but I have driven the SLK and Its fast as hell. Any help you could offer would be great. Thanks

boxsterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:24 PM   #2

My best friend owns an SLK32AMG. Personally, I like my Boxster a lot more. However, I’ve been obsessed with Porsches for as long as I can remember so that played a lot into my decision. The SLK to me is very “sedan-ish.” The Boxster is a sports car. Go drive the 987S, it is supposedly a rocket.

Old 02-17-2005, 12:28 PM   #3

I love my Boxster!

Like you I was in the market recently. I had pretty much set my heart on a BMW Z4. My wife (we're both car nuts) was 'ok' with the Z4, but not very excited. She kept bugging me about the Boxster.

In the interim I checked out the Honda S2000, the Subaru WRX, the Mazda RX8, the Nissan 350z, the Chrysler Crossfire, the Mercedes SLK 350, and many many more... All of them seemed like fine cars, but none of them really blew me away.

Then my father went out and bought a BMW Z4. That really gave me a chance to drive the car around, and the more I drove it the more I felt there was something lacking. The handling wasn't as tight as I thought it should be, it didn't corner as well as I thought it should...

So, on a whim, I decided to take my wife up on an offer to go check out the new Boxster.

The second I sat down in the car I realized what all of the other cars I had looked at had been missing. I didn't feel "at home" in any of them. The Boxster fit me like a glove (and I'm 6 foot 2).

After test driving it the deal was sealed. Lucky for me the only one they had in stock (it was still in detailing when I got there, the thing hadn't even hit the showroom floor yet, and I was the first customer to test drive it) had all of the options I really wanted. Well, minus power seats, but that really wasn't a deal breaker for me. Besides, the manual seats on the Boxster are so well done, I don't even miss the power seats.

I've had my Boxster for a few weeks now and already have over 1k miles on it. When I'm not driving it...I'm wishing that I was driving it.

The handling on this car blows me away every time in get inside it. I can blow through corners and hardly even feel it. It's fast, responsive, and as a driver you truly feel like you and the car are one.

I can guarantee you one thing. My next car...is going to be another Boxster.

Edit:

Here's a pic of mine.

Last edited by PasadenaBoxster; 02-17-2005 at 12:30 PM.
PasadenaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:33 PM   #4

That's a nice dilemma you're in - an SLK55 or a Boxster S !

I just sold an s2000 to get into a 2000 Boxster S and I don't regret the decision one bit. I think if you enjoyed the s2000 because it was such a pure sports car, then you will enjoy the Boxster over the SLK. Even tho the new SLK handles way better than the previous model, it's just not at its soul a sports car like the Boxster. Like QporscheQ said, it's like a small sedan that handles nicely and has tons of hp/tq, but I've never driven anything as well balanced as the Boxster (including the s2000). IMO, a 987s will be the perfect blend of power and handling.

Good luck!

http://www.yellowpimp.org/ferrari.jpg
jwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
Lux

Your looking at cars that are on opposite ends of the spectrum. The SLK is a boring car with an auto tranny. Yes, it's fast in a straight line and is luxurious. But sporting it is not. The Boxster is more of a sports car with a little bit of luxury. The handling is sublime.

Think of it this way, the Boxster S is everything the S2K is...but more of it. Seriously, go drive a Boxster S. No words can convey the way a Boxster drives.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #6

Talking

The Boxster is a legitimate and world class sports car. Nuff said!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterfun
The SLK55 is a GT sport car and its faster in a straight line.. Thanks

Ummm..no. The New SLK was compared to the the 987 S in the recent R&T.

0-60 1/4 mile

Boxster 5.0sec 13.4sec

SLK 5.5sec 13.8sec

As you can see the SLK is no competition for the new S. BTW Lux, the SLK they tested was a 6-speed manual as mercedes has finally offered one for the SLK. The S dominates the SLK in every performance category.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 03:42 PM   #8

Wrong car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Ummm..no. The New SLK was compared to the the 987 S in the recent R&T.

0-60 1/4 mile

Boxster 5.0sec 13.4sec

SLK 5.5sec 13.8sec

As you can see the SLK is no competition for the new S. BTW Lux, the SLK they tested was a 6-speed manual as mercedes has finally offered one for the SLK. The S dominates the SLK in every performance category.
That was the SLK350 with a V6 not The AMG SLK55 with the 355hp V8

The SLK55 run's 0-60 in 4.7sec and 1/4 mile in 13.4sec

The Boxster doesn't run the 1/4 in 13.5sec try 14.sec what a dreamer
The 325hp 911 Carrera runs 4.8 and 13.8 I guess your Boxster is special.

Last edited by boxsterfun; 02-17-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:30 PM   #9
Lux

Quote:

Maybe you should get a clue before you slam people. Here's numbers from 2 different magazines both showing the first gen 986 Boxster S doing the 1/4 mile in 13.8:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0305_boxz4/index4.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=3234&page_number=1

BTW, the SLK55 only comes with a 7 speed auto. Make no mistake, it will go fast in a straight line. Faster than the Boxster S in most drivers' hands due to its massive torque. But it's still a boring ride.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Maybe you should get a clue before you slam people. Here's numbers from 2 different magazines both showing the first gen 986 Boxster S doing the 1/4 mile in 13.8:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0305_boxz4/index4.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=3234&page_number=1

BTW, the SLK55 only comes with a 7 speed auto. Make no mistake, it will go fast in a straight line. Faster than the Boxster S in most drivers' hands due to its massive torque. But it's still a boring ride.

Where's the numbers on the new one? I would like to see them. If the Boxster can run that fast it just may be the car I will buy. I will believe the numbers when I see them. The reason I don't believe them is the fact that I have blown the doors off so many Boxster's with my S2000. As far as Slaming people I don't think so, I just pointed out that you had the wrong SLK and no proof of the numbers for the new Boxster.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:39 PM   #11

Lets try to tone the rhetoric down guys. I am sure that we can establish the true elapsed times etc. However, it should be clear that no one should buy a Boxster for taking to the drag strip, that is clearly not its forte. The Boxster appeals to a different sensibility, no?

Frankly, we live in an era when there are many many fine cars to choose from, for each, according to his taste!

Let the good times roll!
Old 02-18-2005, 06:07 AM   #12

Quote:
I'm having a difficult time deciding between two cars. I'm looking at the SLK55 and the Boxster S.
I'd love to get behind the SLK, just as soon as someone teaches me to drive an atuomatic.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 02:22 PM   #13

Quote:
That was the SLK350 with a V6 not The AMG SLK55 with the 355hp V8

The SLK55 run's 0-60 in 4.7sec and 1/4 mile in 13.4sec

Where's the numbers on the new one? I would like to see them. If the Boxster can run that fast it just may be the car I will buy. I will believe the numbers when I see them. The reason I don't believe them is the fact that I have blown the doors off so many Boxster's with my S2000. As far as Slaming people I don't think so, I just pointed out that you had the wrong SLK and no proof of the numbers for the new Boxster.

Oh, ok I thought he was talking about the new SLK. my mistake. You are going to eat your foot later when someone else can varify these #'s. Why would I risk looking stupid and like a liar and make #'s up? R&T did a 13.4sec 1/4 mile rip in the latest issue with a 987S and C&D did a 13.6 sec rip. How bout you do alittle research for yourself and go out and spend 4 bucks like I did. Then come back here and call me a "dreamer" or liar or whatever it was. I wont hold my breath newb. Maybe next time YOU should do some research before jumping on someone(before your 5th post no less). Does no one read up on cars in the car mags anymore? Anyone out there read R&T? You may be able to beat 2.5 and 2.7L boxsters, but the 986 S can do 13.7's-13.8's and will walk S2K's all day long...sorry. One more thing kinda off topic....is anyone else having a really hard time reading the posts? I have dark blue letters on a dark grey background and it is absolutely horrible to try to read.

Last edited by Adam; 02-18-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:44 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Seems to me that people too easily get caught up in the numbers game.

What is it really about? Do you want to spend so much money so you can swagger up to someone and start quoting car magazines while you car sits there staring at you like you're crazy?

Numbers in car magazines can vary greatly, but the true test is the driver. Spend some extra money and go to a professional racing/driving weekend class somewhere good, and learn how to drive better. I consider myself a very good driver, and I'm SURE that I couldn't match even close to the "numbers" given an any publication.

Its about driving the cars...that's what its always been about...you want fast, get a new vette.

You asked us questions about what we thought about the Boxster. We're a boxster forum. We love our cars. We will stand by them, and some of us probably will die by them (light humor).

Let's get back on the subject of cars. Drive them all...that's the only way that YOU can decide.

:troll:

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 05:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Oh, ok I thought he was talking about the new SLK. my mistake. You are going to eat your foot later when someone else can varify these #'s. Why would I risk looking stupid and like a liar and make #'s up? R&T did a 13.4sec 1/4 mile rip in the latest issue with a 987S and C&D did a 13.6 sec rip. How bout you do alittle research for yourself and go out and spend 4 bucks like I did. Then come back here and call me a "dreamer" or liar or whatever it was. I wont hold my breath newb. Maybe next time YOU should do some research before jumping on someone(before your 5th post no less). Does no one read up on cars in the car mags anymore? Anyone out there read R&T? You may be able to beat 2.5 and 2.7L boxsters, but the 986 S can do 13.7's-13.8's and will walk S2K's all day long...sorry. One more thing kinda off topic....is anyone else having a really hard time reading the posts? I have dark blue letters on a dark grey background and it is absolutely horrible to try to read.
Here's the numbers for the SLK
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Benz-SLK55-AMG-Timeslip-5170.html

Let's see the numbers for the Boxster.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:03 PM   #16

drive the cars.

no one can tell you which is better for you.
you'll find a very enthusiastic group of boxster owners here...the car certainly pleases most who are fortunate enough to own one.
I'd focus a lot less on 'the numbers' and mag write ups and a lot more on what fits your taste. The performance numbers only tell part of the story...who runs quarter miles in real life anyway? No magazine can tell you what the different cars feel like as you exit a corner, get on the gas, and eagerly approach the next...braking hard, finding a line, and getting through the next corner, etc, etc... you can only feel that by driving the cars and sensing what fits your style better.

But since you asked what *we* think, I'll say these few things:
The Boxster is an incredible car. I worked in the auto industry for many years and have driven many cars, but few, if any, have inspired such feelings in me. The car is an almost flawlessly executed example of what this car was designed to be...a driver's car, no compromises. Sure, there are 'faster' cars if you define fast by 0-60 or 1/4 mile times...but I'll argue all day long that there is no 'faster' car than the boxster in the kind of driving I find myself enjoying the most...twisty mountain roads. The car has a spirit and poise about it that's magical...it's 'lack of power' is, in fact, a perfect match for the car...and in even the least capable of hands, this car moves with uncanny confidence. The handling balance and braking are phenomenal, and with minor tweaks to the breathing on the 986's, these cars get very quick and sound incredible. I bought mine second hand from a guy who'd done tons intake and exhaust work, and the sound of this thing as it revs high in the range is incredible...truly incredible....and I've mostly favored big V-8's over the years.
On top of all that, there simply isn't a more beautiful car on the road today, in my eyes.

You won't go wrong if you choose the car that fits your tastes the best (vs focusing on what other people think). And you're likely not to go wrong with a boxster, no matter what your tastes are.

Last edited by FUHRIUS; 02-19-2005 at 12:05 PM.
FUHRIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 01:43 PM   #17
Lux

boxsterfun,

You're just being a troll. That link you provided means nothing. Anybody can input whatever number they want on that site. There's no timeslips to back up those numbers. That is a classic ricer move.

Regardless, why don't you just go buy that SLK because apparently all you care about is drag racing. Which is why I guess you own an S2K...known for its drag racing prowess.

Adam provided you with the information he got from R&T. Why do you keep asking for numbers? What part of "it's from Road & Track" don't you understand? And even at 13.4, it'll be slower than the SLK55. I've told you that already.

BTW, I've done my share of stomping on S2K's around here, both in my Box S and in my old E36 M3...both off the line and from a roll. Off the line was usually a massacre. If you beat a regular Boxster with your S2K, then that's no surprise. If you beat a Boxster S, that's because the driver sucks. Proves nothing.

I'm done here.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:12 PM   #18

Generally speaking, it is a bad idea to come on a special interest forum and trash that interest. Makes for bad feelings, no!
Old 02-19-2005, 04:28 PM   #19

^ I was thinking the same thing Bruce. I honestly don't think the guy is seriously thinking about buying a boxster. I think he wanted to come on here and talk about how he beat a (non S) boxster with his S2k. I went to the R&T sight so I could post the results directly from the site but unfortunately they don't have the article listed. I think they rather have people buy a subscription instead than read it for free is my guess. I just went out and paid the money for the one issue because they had a comparo and the boxster was in it. This info is available to anyone near a magazine rack or a subscription to R&T. The AMG SLK is certainly faster at the drag strip and I(or anyone else) asked for the straight line #'s or questioned the fact that it is faster. The regular SLK(which I mistakingly thought was the topic of the convo at first, was the one I was referring to up above).

P.S. Since they compare the S2k, 987S, and (non AMG) SLK in the R&T article you may want consider buying the magazine to pick up some useful insight on these cars Boxster_Fun.
I believe the SLK finished 9th(last), S2k finished 5th, and the 987S finished 2nd.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:37 PM   #20

Talking

I read the R and T comparison in that issue. Very interesting.

From my point of view, they were all fine cars in there own right. I think certain cars speak to certain people. I have always loved Porsches and Corvettes and have no regard for Vipers.

Go figure!

Horses for courses!