Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #1

GAHH Pics - service mode

Was wondering if anyone has pictures of the GAHH in "service mode" position. I've seen a few pics of the top in the up position but never at the service position. Do any exist?

Can anyone with a GAHH snap a few for the rest of us to view? Really want to see what the restricted access to the engine compartment actually looks like.

Thanks in advance.

Devin - CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin - CT
Was wondering if anyone has pictures of the GAHH in "service mode" position. I've seen a few pics of the top in the up position but never at the service position. Do any exist?

Can anyone with a GAHH snap a few for the rest of us to view? Really want to see what the restricted access to the engine compartment actually looks like.

Thanks in advance.
I imagine it looks a lot like a stock top up in the service position like this.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I imagine it looks a lot like a stock top up in the service position like this.

It won't fold quite like your factory glass top because the aftermarket tops are installed on the older frames which don't have the 4th bow that allows the window to pivot fully out of the way. It will look more like below, so there's less engine access, but should be still ok to work on the engine, if needed.

This is an aftermarket glass window top made in the UK, but I'm guessing the GAHH version will be similar:

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #4

Engine access is horrible with the GAHH tops. The original plastic window would fold in half as the last bow came up into service position, whereas the new glass top can't fold in half obviously, so it just comes up a fraction of the way the plastic top used to. Literally there is barely enough clearance to remove and insert the engine cover and "pizza oven." Access to the air filter is doable, as it servicing the power steering fluid, but it is not much for actually working on the motor from the top.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:23 AM   #5

I put a Robbins top with glass window on my '02. They gave me a long Velcro strap that you wrap around the whole top to pull the window up and away from the engine for better access.

It doesn't seem too bad for general maintenance with this installed. Not sure if GAHH gives you this, but you could certainly make one.

I've had the Robbins top with German canvas for about a year and, aside from the smallish window, it works perfectly and is very good quality.
brewer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:15 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4503

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote