Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 07:52 AM   #1

Newbie with some not so FAQs

Whats up guys

Came from the 914club since I just regretably sold my 914/V8 sbc converted car. I was wondering if anyone here has seen or delt with any boxsters that have blown motors. The reason I ask is because the 986 seems to be the proper evolution of the 914. Although I loved my 914, I do miss the creature conforts associated with newer cars and I'm willing to give in some weight/complexity for them. However just like the 914, I am on a budget and cant afford a running 986 compared to one that just needs a motor. I want the same concept as my 914 by putting an LS1 into the boxster. It just seems right

boostiality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:19 AM   #2

"I am on a budget" and "Boxster ownership" do not belong in the same sentence together unless your budget is sizeable or quite expandable... but I do not believe you are using the term in this way. That's how I started and 19 months later and $9k into repairs and upgrades, I'm still spending money on my car to keep it from throwing CE lights and fixing worn parts and stuff that Porsche should have engineered right in the first place (coolant overflow tank, seat belt receptacles, etc.).

You may indeed find one cheap with a blown engine, or just buy one cheap and wait for the engine to blow... cheap boxsters usually enjoy some catastrophic engine failure due to neglect... an RMS leak left unattended, etc.

I bought my 97 for $15k and fortunately, the engine had just been replaced a month earlier by the guy who put it in the Miami auction. The buyer never really looked at the engine and sold it to me without knowing it had a new engine in it, so I lucked out.

Lots of guys are buying 97's and 98's and swapping the 2.5 for 3.4 carrera engines and seeing some very quick times out of the Boxster.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:09 AM   #3

lol I hear ya, I guess its 914 rubbing off on me. I think budget is actually doable with some ingenuity and having access to a welder Budget is also the reason why I want the chebby v8 back there instead of a p-motor. Certain things like you stated can be taken care of later, as I'm willing to just drive around with a bare bones boxster with nothing else working besides the v8 and proper suspension. I guess its all relative to what you can live with.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:01 AM   #4

It's an attractive concept. Some other notable Euro cars have succeeded with V8's: AH 3000's were adaptable, Sunbeam Tigers were a star. Jaguar sedans were straightforward. A local guy did a nice V8 insert in a TR4. A neighbor is putting a V8 in an RX-7 body as we speak, can't speak to the end product yet.
BTW I'm not a welder and have no clue if it will work. Have you measured things and looked at the structural elements to see if things are anywhere close to where they need to be? Is the engine bay tall enough to fit the V8, vs. a very flat six?
If it could fit though, it would be a real power increase with no RMS issues.
If you try it, please keep us posted. Good luck.
For the rest of us though, Randall's observation seems to hit the mark.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:02 AM   #5

If you could sqeeze a chevy V8 into a boxster, I think you'd be the first to do it. I've not read about this anywhere on the web as of yet.

It sure would be cheaper, but you have other problems. There's a DME that does all sorts of things that wouldn't be compatible with a Chevy V8. I think you're SOL on this idea. Hence the reason guys are going the Pcar engine route.

Your 914 was bare bones and didn't have nearly the electronic control that the oldest Boxsters seem to possess. Welcome to the new world, Neo!
Old 03-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #6

The v8 is certainly not as wide as the dohc flat 6, but your right about height wise. The thing is though, the 914's 4banger was just a tad bit shorter then a v8 with a carb. Luckily the LS1 isnt as tall due to the efi and maf placement which would be flipped around. I need to locate some measurements for porsche 6, but I'm betting the LS1 can be fitted in there as I've found some LS1s that have been shoehorned to even tighter spaces ala 993s. As for the DME, isnt this just going to be replaced by the LS1 pcm anyway? Oh someone has already came up with the solution for mating an SBC (LT1 this time) to a boxster 5spd and resides in a 914 as we speak. Again my comfort tolerances are alot more different then others so aslong as that motor runs, the suspension works, and the drivers side window is down, I'm all for it

With a just a quickie google search, it looks like I can find non OBC cars and the DME looks like all it does is control the motor what nots. I think I can take the same approach as the FD Rx7 guys on how they deal with the ecm issue.

Last edited by boostiality; 03-29-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostiality
The v8 is certainly not as wide as the dohc flat 6, but your right about height wise. The thing is though, the 914's 4banger was just a tad bit shorter then a v8 with a carb. Luckily the LS1 isnt as tall due to the efi and maf placement which would be flipped around. I need to locate some measurements for porsche 6, but I'm betting the LS1 can be fitted in there as I've found some LS1s that have been shoehorned to even tighter spaces ala 993s. As for the DME, isnt this just going to be replaced by the LS1 pcm anyway? Oh someone has already came up with the solution for mating an SBC (LT1 this time) to a boxster 5spd and resides in a 914 as we speak. Again my comfort tolerances are alot more different then others so aslong as that motor runs, the suspension works, and the drivers side window is down, I'm all for it

With a just a quickie google search, it looks like I can find non OBC cars and the DME looks like all it does is control the motor what nots. I think I can take the same approach as the FD Rx7 guys on how they deal with the ecm issue.
This would be awesome, seems like I have seen a v8 swap done to everything except the boxster. But Id really be suprised if this could be done without major modifications to the chassis. length wise you are very limited... pop the service cover on one and take some measurements... the flat 6 is literally crammed into the car.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephidaboost
This would be awesome, seems like I have seen a v8 swap done to everything except the boxster. But Id really be suprised if this could be done without major modifications to the chassis. length wise you are very limited... pop the service cover on one and take some measurements... the flat 6 is literally crammed into the car.
Lets hope not, but there probably will have to be some massaging done to get her in there. With the 914s for space, some folks have resorted to banging the firewall a bit to just clear the belt assembly as well as moving the tranny back a few inches. I guess its time to start visiting dealerships with a ruler and tape.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:01 PM   #9

Smile

The LS1 is very light and with the FI, fairly low. I think you could get that bad boy n there.

350HP and 375 Ft lbs of torque-2002 spec.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:02 PM   #10

The LS1 fits in the 944 and the 911.

See renegade hybrids.com

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:54 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Can someone please tell me why you would put an American engine a PORSCHE? The 914 with the Volkswagen engine was one thing,it was not 100% true Porsche. Putting a v8 in a Boxster isn't what Porsche is about. Porsche has used smaller engines and created amazing out put out of them,they are the whores of engines. Why would you want to mess with that? Keep it in the family,put a 3.4 in there. If you put in the American engine you would also as well lose the Porsche whine,there is no substitute.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:02 PM   #12

if joe dirt wants a LS1 or a 350 in his boxster, let him. who are you to tell him what he should park in front of his trailer home. .......i think i just used my first warning.
Finallygottaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:27 PM   #13

Oh you are in such big trouble now...
Old 03-29-2006, 08:32 PM   #14

"Can someone please tell me why you would put an American engine a PORSCHE? The 914 with the Volkswagen engine was one thing,it was not 100% true Porsche. Putting a v8 in a Boxster isn't what Porsche is about. Porsche has used smaller engines and created amazing out put out of them,they are the whores of engines. Why would you want to mess with that? Keep it in the family,put a 3.4 in there. If you put in the American engine you would also as well lose the Porsche whine,there is no substitute."

See thats the thing, I dont posses this brand loyalty thing at all..One thing to consider is that yes they are smaller displacement but I'm willing to bet the LS1 might almost weigh just the same, is way cheaper to mod and helluva alot more responsive and not to mention more reliable. I just dont see any advantages other then keeping the "purists" happy by swapping another p-motor in there that cost more in basically everything, isnt as responsive, etc etc. I'll let the purists have the whine, I like being dirty

"if joe dirt wants a LS1 or a 350 in his boxster, let him. who are you to tell him what he should park in front of his trailer home. .......i think i just used my first warning."

I'll tell you this, when I get it done I'll drive around in a mullet just to show ppl that you can redneck anything including a porsche even if you are asian
Old 03-29-2006, 08:35 PM   #15

i guess my post was more to entertain myself and not really to insult you. glad to see you have a sense of humor too.
Finallygottaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
The LS1 is very light and with the FI, fairly low. I think you could get that bad boy n there.

350HP and 375 Ft lbs of torque-2002 spec.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Thats exactly what I'm talkin about . Mid engine, rwd, under 3000lbs with that kinda power = goodbye 997. I wonder what it would be like with a proper heads and cam combo at around 450rwhp

Oh yeah I know about renegade. Its just the 986 platform has everything better to offer. Well maybe not engine bay space but cant win them all.

Last edited by boostiality; 03-29-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostiality
"See thats the thing, I dont posses this brand loyalty thing at all..One thing to consider is that yes they are smaller displacement but I'm willing to bet the LS1 might almost weigh just the same, is way cheaper to mod and helluva alot more responsive and not to mention more reliable. I just dont see any advantages other then keeping the "purists" happy by swapping another p-motor in there that cost more in basically everything, isnt as responsive, etc etc. I'll let the purists have the whine, I like being dirty
You saying the 3.4 engine is as responsive?
Old 03-30-2006, 04:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
You saying the 3.4 engine is as responsive?

No see the bottom of the paragraph. I stated it its not as responsive.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:35 AM   #19

Sounds like an intruiging project. I wouldn't want to actually own one myself, but then what was the Cobra but a Brit roadster with a V8 stuffed in it.
Just don't expect to be welcomed with open arms by the PCA crowd. Or any crowd that wears collared shirts, for that matter.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:39 AM   #20

That would be a monster. I don't know which would be more impressive - the V8 Boxster or an Asian with a mullet. Either way, I support this project.

I remember seeing a company in Canada that shoved 5.0 V8s in Miatas. I can't imagine...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote