View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 09:19 AM   #2
RandallNeighbour

"I am on a budget" and "Boxster ownership" do not belong in the same sentence together unless your budget is sizeable or quite expandable... but I do not believe you are using the term in this way. That's how I started and 19 months later and $9k into repairs and upgrades, I'm still spending money on my car to keep it from throwing CE lights and fixing worn parts and stuff that Porsche should have engineered right in the first place (coolant overflow tank, seat belt receptacles, etc.).

You may indeed find one cheap with a blown engine, or just buy one cheap and wait for the engine to blow... cheap boxsters usually enjoy some catastrophic engine failure due to neglect... an RMS leak left unattended, etc.

I bought my 97 for $15k and fortunately, the engine had just been replaced a month earlier by the guy who put it in the Miami auction. The buyer never really looked at the engine and sold it to me without knowing it had a new engine in it, so I lucked out.

Lots of guys are buying 97's and 98's and swapping the 2.5 for 3.4 carrera engines and seeing some very quick times out of the Boxster.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote