Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 05:26 AM   #1

Cool Chime in 2000 Boxster S

I have just purchased a super nice 2000 Boxster S. I have skimmed over the manual and looking for a reason why I get a chime while moving. It sounds the it has something to with the locking system, but not sure. It sounds like your in an elevator and those stupid chimes...ding, ding, ding. Sometimes it's 2 and sometimes it more. Outside of that the car is nearly perfect with 67,000 miles. It does not have the extra stalk on the steering wheel. Then the other day I was at a light in the country and it went bananas, moved forward a foot or so and it stopped. This car came with nearly $20 grand of options and is all original. Jerry

Last edited by jcb986; 05-14-2009 at 12:58 PM.
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:46 AM   #2

When I bought my Boxster I noticed a chime every once in awhile on the highway. I later found out it was letting me know I had exceeded a speed set on the computer. I just reset it to a higher speed and now I seldom hear it.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:04 AM   #3

try removing the battery cables and then reattach them.
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #4

Somewhat related question - my 01 S does not chime when I leave the parking lights on - is that normal? I've done it a couple times now.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #5

try putting your seatbelt on.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
When I bought my Boxster I noticed a chime every once in awhile on the highway. I later found out it was letting me know I had exceeded a speed set on the computer. I just reset it to a higher speed and now I seldom hear it.
120mph?
Artie Fufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:51 AM   #7

Sneaky Valentine Suspetion

For those have have given me some advise, it is none of those. This car came with a Valentine One Radar System. Installed in the rear view mirror is my display. Valentine One's came with Laser also. My readout has just 3 dots, X, K, Ka. Now I believe the laser part is active all the time and you only hear it when it detects a beam. I usually do not run in town with it on, to many bogies. But when it is off and detects, it starts slowly, then as the target closes in it goes bonkers, then as it passes it slows down. Does any have a Valentine One installed back in 2000 and is the way it was done. Jerry
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
For those have have given me some advise, it is none of those. This car came with a Valentine One Radar System. Installed in the rear view mirror is my display. Valentine One's came with Laser also. My readout has just 3 dots, X, K, Ka. Now I believe the laser part is active all the time and you only hear it when it detects a beam. I usually do not run in town with it on, to many bogies. But when it is off and detects, it starts slowly, then as the target closes in it goes bonkers, then as it passes it slows down. Does any have a Valentine One installed back in 2000 and is the way it was done. Jerry
That sounds right, my V1 doesn't have a laser light - it says "La" or something like that on the screen and beeps in a very urgent fashion. Haven't used it in a long time, but probably will this weekend.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
Old 05-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yimmy149
Somewhat related question - my 01 S does not chime when I leave the parking lights on - is that normal? I've done it a couple times now.

-james
The lights on our Boxsters are wired to German specs. In many situations the law there requires that you leave your parking lights on when leaving the car. You may also notice that you can leave just the left parking lights or just the right parking lights on. This, too is per German law. There are many places where you park with two wheels up on the curb -- left or right. You then leave the parking lights on the out board side turned on. It takes a bit of getting used to, but after a few years it actually feels strange to come back to the US of A.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
The lights on our Boxsters are wired to German specs. In many situations the law there requires that you leave your parking lights on when leaving the car. You may also notice that you can leave just the left parking lights or just the right parking lights on. This, too is per German law. There are many places where you park with two wheels up on the curb -- left or right. You then leave the parking lights on the out board side turned on. It takes a bit of getting used to, but after a few years it actually feels strange to come back to the US of A.
Good to know. I guess I will just make sure to keep the battery in tip-top shape, since I did it again last night!

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles