Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #1

suggestions on finding parts?

Hi,
I was washing the car today and got to thinking about my EVO "cold" air intake.

If you look at it, I am sure it is not cold because it draws air in from the engine compartment.

So, I was thinking...........remove the filter, and fab a pipe that continued on in to the space outside the engine compartment between the intake vent fins and the body. Would I have to move the MAF sensor?

Is this possiable? can you find generic piping and plumb it out of the compartment?

OR I was thinking of making a plastic cover to cover the top of the standard EVO setup and I could more or less seal the box so that it only draw air from outside.

If the install was not such a Pain in the A** I would replace the stock box.
Just thinking

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
Hi,
I was washing the car today and got to thinking about my EVO "cold" air intake.

If you look at it, (1) I am sure it is not cold because it draws air in from the engine compartment.
So, I was thinking...........remove the filter, and fab a pipe that continued on in to the space outside the engine compartment between the intake vent fins and the body. Would I have to move the MAF sensor?

Is this possiable? can you find generic piping and plumb it out of the compartment?

OR (2) I was thinking of making a plastic cover to cover the top of the standard EVO setup and I could more or less seal the box so that it only draw air from outside.

If the install was not such a Pain in the A** I would replace the stock box.
Just thinking

1. EVO intakes do not draw air from the engine compartment.

2. EVO intakes come with a compartment panel that the filter sets in that is completely sealed off for the engine compartment.

Where did you get your EVO intake, second hand? If you would have bought it from a distributor you would see the panel and instructions for installation. http://jbkperformance.com/evolution_motorsports/evolution_motorsports_high_flow_intake/g-53034.aspx

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 05-10-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #3

I bought it directly from evolution motorsports.
The tray that the filter sits in fits pretty poorly against the fender wall. With the engine cover on, the tray SHOULD seal, but it does not. Actually the fitment is pretty shotty and not well thought out.
Installing it was a nightmare, removing it would be the same I bet.

So I wanted to improve it, make a top to the tray, pop rivit some buckles on, and seal the tray to the finder wall with high temp silicone.

I have measured air temp with and without the EVO cool air setup, and it pulls in hot engine air with a significant increase in ambient air and intake temps.

but it sounds cool.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
It amazes me that generation after generation waste their money buying "performance" parts for street Porsches.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #5

And think they should buy a cold air intake

when the stock intake already sucks in outside "cold" air unlike many older cars where the air cleaner just sat in the engine compartment behind the hot radiator air.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:52 AM   #6

Garage
The name is misleading, it's shouldn't be called a "cold air" intake. Instead call it a "high flow" intake. I don't think anyone will argue that fact.