Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #41
Usercpy

Garage
Yeah, ur probaly right, but as Pelican Parts refered: "the Boxster coolant reservoir is one of the worst design and solution evere made in car industry, they have redisigned the coolant and still it cracks"..... so if a non OEM manufacture produce same item may be a better quality, just like the Flat Six IMS retrofit. a non OEM supplier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt V View Post
You would seriously consider buying from this company after everything you have read in this thread? Oh because it is cheaper? Gee I guess there really is a sucker born every minute.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #42

Sorry but don't compare this company with one that attempts to upgrade parts for your Porsche! It is no doubt a cheap Chinese knock-off of the original made with suspect plastic. How well do you think it will hold up to various high heat and coolling cycles under pressure? My 2000 has its original expansion tank that is still going strong. When it does go, I will replace with a genuine Porsche part and hope to get another 13 years!

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #43
Usercpy

Garage
thanks for info, i'll go for geniue part....
instead of knock off chinese parts,.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #44

I'm sure you won't regret it!

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #45

Bought radiator fan from deutsch parts on eBay. The motor mount holes were not tapped as they described direct fit. The low speed resistor died w/in a month or two.

I have them neutral feedback bc I had to spend time mounting the fan. Should've given negative. The 1 yr warranty is a joke bc it takes so much time to claim it.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #46

As a Boxster/Cayenne owner I found its safer to stick with Pelican Parts when it comes to major parts aside from lenses, bulbs etc. I am lucky as I have my own mechanic & don't have to use the dealer, but I learned from owning a Landrover to just suck it up & pay the $ sometimes. Just my 2 cents
YeloFVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #47

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
The coolant tank reservoir is a very time-consuming piece to install. If you buy one that is inferior and you have to redo the work or pay someone to redo the work with a Porsche part, you will have lost all of your savings and then some by buying this cheaper part.

It's a gamble.
I'm going through this now...will only use Porsche parts from now on!
Hummer-addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #48

Bad Coolant Reservoir Tanks S V B Imports

One more name to add to the "avoid" List S.V.B.Imports of Montrose Ca. They sell as "Arbosha" on Fleabay.Owners name is SHANT.
I shan't be doing business with him again !
Multiple fitting problems .
Drain nipple is blanked off by bad molding. Result is that when 'burping' the system, it overflows into the trunk !
After trying two tanks I gave up. Total waste of time & money.The 1 year warranty offered was 100% bogus. EBay of little help. Pelican is the best alternative. The 997 tanks look sturdier? Can they be modified to work in 986 ??
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #49

I tend to avoid ebay for parts, i rather pay a bit more for something i know will last from Pelican or Vertex
ThrillNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #50

Thank goodness for this informative group! I was just about ready to buy their complete suspension rebuild kit for my 200 Boxster. Tried calling them a couple of times but they never picked up or called me back! Thank you guys for saving me lots of money and time.
timetraveler2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:10 PM   #51

Steer clear. Bought an "OEM" 915 short shift kit from them last year. It had to be modified to work and still isn't that great. Workmanship on the parts was less than excellent.
CBRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #52

Just bought front strut bump stops from them before reading this thread... parts look and feel okay, should be better than my originals crumbling anyway, but wondering if anyone had problems with them long-term?

1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote