Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 06:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Caveat emptor !!!
Bump on Carfax report. I picked up an 01 "s" with 58k miles in prestine shape for $12750 on ebay(clean title). If you are going to get it, definatley get an inspection from a certified dealer. I would go over this with a fine tooth comb and especially see how it drives. first sign of damage is how does it drive. you should find a straight road and make sure it doesn't pull left or right.

call your insurance company and explain the salvaged title and ask if that makes a difference in their coverages and payouts. I have never heard salvaging a car over a top, unless the car was stolen and the Insurance company paid it off.

You have limited your buyers if you ever decided to sell it. Check ebay completed auctions to get an idea what these have been sold for.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 07-20-2009 at 11:23 AM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #22

Just bought a 99 Boxster 95k, with a blown engine for $4700 (no salvage title)
haven't pull it apart yet...(hoping the heads are OK)...but expect to pay for a flat 6 short block, billet IMS and chain tensioners yada min...no re-mfg engine for me...

I was afraid of zero reliabilty if I bought a running one....so.....I'll do it right, now, with known problems, rather then worry... :ah:
reddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog
Just bought a 99 Boxster 95k, with a blown engine for $4700 (no salvage title)
haven't pull it apart yet...(hoping the heads are OK)...but expect to pay for a flat 6 short block, billet IMS and chain tensioners yada min...no re-mfg engine for me...

I was afraid of zero reliabilty if I bought a running one....so.....I'll do it right, now, with known problems, rather then worry... :ah:
Thats the way I would go if i was planning on keeping it. at least you know the history of the motor.

what size motor are you getting? 3.2, 3.4, a 3.6? might as well do it right

Old 07-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #24

salvage title boxsters

folks,
don't mean to be rude or anything, just want to be straightforward and honest. when it comes to cars especially higher end cars. there is no such thing as a good deal especially if it has been deemed "salvage". although it's still a buyers market there are always people trying to pass on this cars as worthwhile investments..
the honest truth is you will only get a good deal if you find the best example of a car that you can afford.. do yourself a favor and save your $10g's or so and buy one when you can afford.. that $10'gs Boxster can turn into a $20 thousand dollar car in no time when you factor in repairs/part/replacements etc... aside from the inconvenience, your safety, and countless sleepless nights !
thank u,
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2-bxtrs
folks,
don't mean to be rude or anything, just want to be straightforward and honest. when it comes to cars especially higher end cars. there is no such thing as a good deal especially if it has been deemed "salvage". although it's still a buyers market there are always people trying to pass on this cars as worthwhile investments..
the honest truth is you will only get a good deal if you find the best example of a car that you can afford.. do yourself a favor and save your $10g's or so and buy one when you can afford.. that $10'gs Boxster can turn into a $20 thousand dollar car in no time when you factor in repairs/part/replacements etc... aside from the inconvenience, your safety, and countless sleepless nights !
thank u,

That wasn't rude, on the contrary it was informative and very correct about possibly turning into a money pit. Unfortunately you almost never know the whole truth about a salvaged car. I myself would be very leary and most likely wouldn't buy one, unless it was damn cheap, like over 50% off, and I had a ppi(inspection) from a reputable mechanic. Now if your a mechanic yourself you can really find some steals out there.

I figured for 13k on a 22k booked second car(clean title), I am willing to take a chance as its my weekend driver. My worst fear is the "ims" failure. I just cant see putting 14k in a new engine. I have already done the ignition switch myself, and will be doing the plugs, belt, fuel filter thursday and getting the oil done. By doing this myself It really saves time, money and you really bond with your car. I also know it will be done right, as I am anal about that kind of stuff. I know it sounds wierd but hey a mans second best friend is his Boxster

Last edited by mptoledo; 07-20-2009 at 07:58 PM.