Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #21

Ekam, not to add fuel to the fire, but here is a link to a Canadian, BC based manufacture of speedsters. They have been around in various forms since the real speedsters were in the showrooms and have some great examples.

Better start saving.

http://www.intermeccanica.com/index.html

Old 04-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #22

Garage
A Speedster with a 3.2 6 cylinder, I LOVE IT! :dance:
Old 04-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #23

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
A Speedster with a 3.2 6 cylinder, I LOVE IT! :dance:
I have to agree!!! That thing looks like the most fun you could have on a gallon of gas.

Even in my 60's, I would cruise around just looking for some poor unsuspecting Mustang GT to pick a fight with.
greesedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #24

Here's the Outlaw, he just got it back from the shop yesterday. It's completely reversible back to stock if he ever desired.

Louvered deck lid
front and rear bumper delete with nerf bars added
headlight grills
15" Fuch's he took off his 68' 912

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #25

Ok this thread needs to stop... I can't look at them any more. *checks wallet*
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
Here's the Outlaw, he just got it back from the shop yesterday. It's completely reversible back to stock if he ever desired.
Who has finished wood casements and wall sconces in a garage?

Where are the onyx coasters and finger sandwiches? j/k

Nice cars though...

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #27
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greesedc
I've been playing with, restoring, racing, and having a blast with Porsches for over 25 years...some of them when I still had some money to play with. (I need a stimulis for a new Boxster).

Point is, however, Becks and every other plastic wannabe are just that. Cool to drive, cool to look at, affordable, and usually everything on them works, but to the purists they are like 4 wheeled, red headed step-children.

Case in point. I had a '56 356A coupe that I rebuilt, but not having the cash at the time for a real Porsche engine, I built a VW 1835cc race motor and put it in the tub and it ran like stink! Usually kept the lid down on the engine compartment at events, and while it still sounded pretty volksy no one ever cared.
I finally got a proper moter and sold the car to acquire a '57 356A Cabriolet.

Last year, at an annual multi marque, Concour D' Elegance car show, there were, of course, many various 356's represented by the local tub club, but what "356" do you think that the unknowing masses drooled over? Yep, it was a 356 wannabe done up in an amazing paint job, and turned into a widebody outlaw.

The masses were fooled, the real Porsche guys were put off by the fact that the thing even got into the Concours in the first place, but you know what? The car looked great, it probably ran great, it was likely very reliable, and if anyone wants a Beck or any other good looking Wannabe...GO FOR IT and ENJOY your ride!

p.s. My Black '93 968 Cabriolet placed 3rd in 2007, and the Black '01 Boxster 2nd in Class in 2008. But, the '57 356A Cabriolet, was People's Choice over 15 years ago at the West Coast Holiday. All gone but the Boxster

I love my Boxster, but a 2010 wouldn't take up any more room in my garage than the '01. My wife and my 401K disagree.
When someone buys a Beck, hopefully they'rebuying it for the pure driving experience and not to impress the neighbors.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #28

Well it's not a garage. A garage has a floor jack in the corner and an old Schwin in the other corner... and somewhere oil drop in the concrete. It must be nice to rent a museum for your cars. So that's how they store cars on the other side of the tracks.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #29
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Indeed the Becks are excellent cars. A friend has the 550 with the big VW engine and it's a blast!

The real appeal for me is that they're much more visceral than the Boxster. No DME, no ABS, no Airbags, no 5mph bumpers, and on and on...

That's what a sports car should be! It's not about numbers, 1/4 mile slips and such... it's much more about feeling fast (even if you're not)!

Unfortunately, Porsche, Govt's, and others have forgotten that.

I actually feel sorry for many of today's younger people that don't really get it... but think they do.

The best thing for them is to buy an MGB, Triumph, Healey, Alfa and so on. Then they may.

Old 911s (like from the 60s and 70s) are so much more engaging than anything Porsche makes today, it's really a shame. Sports cars really aren't sports cars anymore even miata's continue to get heavier and bigger.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard

Who has finished wood casements and wall sconces in a garage?
Same person who has a full bathroom, kitchen, flat screen tv, and a sitting area.

That garage has been a dream of his for several years. It's only half the size he wanted due to city easements. So, even with an 8 car at his house he only has half the room he needs. Project new hanger begins and I'd have to say it will be very spectacular when complete.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #31

Oh I just found out when I was watching Dollhouse one of the characters drove a 356 speedster (it has an optional speedster hump?)... looks mad cool!

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote