Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 02:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
Gotta disagree with you. The Solstice GXP is a looker, and it's very fun to drive.
I've never actually driven a Solstice before, but I will admit it's a pretty nice looking car. Has that nice old school roadster look like the Z4 has. My only quip? The grills in the front feel like they're out of place, a little too low.

Immortal1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:56 PM   #22

Divine Intervention

I was reading the paper and came across an auto auction from the local sheriff.
Your usual assortment of junkers... 92 camry, 96 explorer, etc and then a 91 porsche - when I called the girl said it was a "porsche boxcar" or something. No date, no time, no place for the auction listed in the paper; only the few that called got the details - and then 8 inches of snow on the moring of the auction. No one showed except me.

I didn't choose this car - it was choosen for me.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Gotta disagree with you. The Solstice GXP is a looker, and it's very fun to drive.

Pontiac has never made anything that can corner like a Porsche. I have not driven this vehicle but my family has had dealerships my entire life, to each his own...
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:51 PM   #24

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on a lot of points you make. I am only speaking from my experience with the s2000 (it was an AP1) and yes it was a small car, but it was a blast to drive. It did not have the same torque as my S, but it handled extremely well and it could most certainly "toss you around."

As for what makes a car girly. This is obviously something that would be very difficult to describe in words, but I think the s2000 would come short on the fact that it is not comfortable at all. I personally am fine with this, but I would imagine that someone who buys a "sporty" car would want the looks of a sports car, but the comfort of a more modest vehicle which is something the s2000 fails at. My mechanic who loves Porsches and owns many, including a 986S, says that it (Boxsters) looks like a girls car.

And girls love a car that lacks in torque? Most of the points you make go both ways, Boxster or S2000.

Obviously I ended up with a Boxster, and love it dearly, but by all means you can view me as a driver that would buy, and enjoy, an S2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1520
Personally, I'd never take an S2000, but I do acknowledge it as a cool car. And of course, it's reliable. Come on, it's a Honda... those cars have a reputation for beling reliable. They'll last for decades.

Though, I can understand why people would look at that S2000 and think of it to be a girly car. It's pretty petite and lacks torque, which is something most girls love in a sporty car. Also, the color can really make it look like a blatant girls car.

If you ask me, the S2000's image reflects on the driver. On one hand, it's a small, dainty car that doesn't toss you around like a usual sports car. On another, it's a fast, easy to maintain, high-revving car that's about as reliable as they get.

I never thought the Boxster looked girly, considering the way it drives, the amount of room and the way it sounds and it's looks... they don't have the traits of a girly car. That's just my take on it though.

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #25

I myself don't think the Boxster looks like a girls car. However, I must agree that it IS a girls car. I see lots of women drive it and I also see and run into lots of girls that would love to get a ride from me Whatever it is, the formula works for me.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Pontiac has never made anything that can corner like a Porsche. I have not driven this vehicle but my family has had dealerships my entire life, to each his own...
I have driven both, and you don't know what you're talking about.

I bought the Boxster S over the Solstice because of the Boxster S's power level (a used Solstice GXP would have been several thousand dollars more than what I paid for the Boxster) and because the Solstice/Sky twins have virtually no usable luggage space. But even the base Solstice I drove handled comparably to the Boxster.

I also chose the Boxster S over:

- the S2000 because I wanted some usable torque;
- the Miata because I wanted some power, period;
- the 350Z because I can't stand the looks of the droptop Z;
- the Z3 because of the Z3's rear suspension point failure issues;
- the Z4 because I just liked the looks of the Boxster better; and
- the C5 Corvette because I can't stand the Fisher-Price radio and climate controls.
Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana S
I have driven both, and you don't know what you're talking about.

I bought the Boxster S over the Solstice because of the Boxster S's power level (a used Solstice GXP would have been several thousand dollars more than what I paid for the Boxster) and because the Solstice/Sky twins have virtually no usable luggage space. But even the base Solstice I drove handled comparably to the Boxster.

I also chose the Boxster S over:

- the S2000 because I wanted some usable torque;
- the Miata because I wanted some power, period;
- the 350Z because I can't stand the looks of the droptop Z;
- the Z3 because of the Z3's rear suspension point failure issues;
- the Z4 because I just liked the looks of the Boxster better; and
- the C5 Corvette because I can't stand the Fisher-Price radio and climate controls.

Whatever, you are welcome to your opinion, if you truly believe what you typed seems like you should have bought one and saved some cash..

2009 Solstice Base RWD 2-Dr Roadster L4 $24,275

could have had two...

Last edited by eightsandaces; 03-31-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:03 PM   #28

Rhys Millen has done OK with a Solstice...

Now put 'em away, boys.

Quote:
I have not driven this vehicle but my family has had dealerships my entire life, to each his own...
Isn't that a bit like saying, "I've never been with a woman, but my mother ran a brothel"?

Some quotes:
"Boasting a specific output exceeding that of every turbocharged engine on the market save Porsche's new 911 and Mitsubishi's Lancer Evolution"

"On Michelin PS II treaded road-race tires, the Solstice blistered the skidpad with 1.05g lateral acceleration."

Last edited by sd_boxster; 03-31-2009 at 06:10 PM.
sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Rhys Millen has done OK with a Solstice...

Now put 'em away, boys.
Yeah and with Pontiac's future so bright..... driver is always the most important intangible, Mario andretti might beat me in a SUV..
Old 03-31-2009, 06:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Whatever, you are welcome to your opinion, if you truly believe what you typed seems like you should have bought one and saved some cash..

2009 Solstice Base RWD 2-Dr Roadster L4 $24,275

could have had two...
Nope. Couldn't have had even one. I paid nowhere NEAR $24,000 for my Boxster S.
Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana S
Nope. Couldn't have had even one. I paid nowhere NEAR $24,000 for my Boxster S.

Oh I see what you did there, zing OMG lol
Old 03-31-2009, 06:13 PM   #32

Clearly you want to be right, so... you're right. The Solstice blows, and the Boxster is the best car ever built.

Quote:
Yeah and with Pontiac's future so bright..... driver is always the most important intangible, Mario andretti might beat me in a SUV..
Old 03-31-2009, 06:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Clearly you want to be right, so... you're right. The Solstice blows, and the Boxster is the best car ever built.

Never said that, however the only thing a Pontiac has in common with a Porsche is the letter P...
Old 03-31-2009, 06:57 PM   #34
Fred Demara

This is making me choke milk from my nose from laughing...

Solstice...God, I was forced into renting one and could not believe how comically behind US cars were to my 8 year old Boxster....wow...just wow.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:22 PM   #35

I'm deleting my earlier post...why people are debating between a Porsche Boxster and Pontiac Solstice is just crazy....and sad.

What's next...Boxster vs. Miata?????

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #36

Ditto on the Boxster choosing me.

I wasn't at all a 'p-car' guy when I got it .. seriously didn't know a 944 from a 914 from a 996 .. but this is my second one in 3 years. Somehow it just feels right for me and makes me happy to get into it.
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #37

Solstice bickering aside, the Boxster is a sweet car. I've never owned a car that felt so... capable.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #38

Well, I owned a Solstice for 3 years. I saw my first one in 2003 at the Chicago Auto Show and decided right then and there I was going to buy one. I did as soon as they came out. I really enjoyed the car. It was easy to mod and after a couple of years of production there were tons of after market bolt ons, even SCs & Turbos.

The problem I had was a lack of Pontiac's commitment to the car. They rushed it to production to compete with Mazda. It shows in the fit and finish of the car, one of the biggest complaints among Solstice owners (just visit the Solstice Forum).

I sold the Solstice to buy a Boxster and there is no comparison. The Boxster is what the Solstice could have been if Pontiac had taken the time to really see how a sports car is built.

Sorry to the Solstice fans out there but the Boxster is a much, much better car. I still like the Solstice and it's retro look but I'll keep my Porsche.

NWI Bill
NWI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWI Bill
The problem I had was a lack of Pontiac's commitment to the car.
That's a problem for 95% of all Pontiacs out there???

Sorry don't know why people bring up a Pontiac (or any American make) in this discussion either.

Oh wait I forgot people are still debating between Boxster and a Vette...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #40

I bought mine because I am hopelessley in love with Porsche's and I needed a newer driver over my 944 (which can pull ~1.2-1.5g's).

I took the amount of money I had to spend, and wrote down every car I could buy with that money that I would have ANY interest in. The only one that had a fighting chance against the Boxster was the M-coupe, but it was still pulling the same money as a used Cayman. Neither of which was in my price range.

2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote