Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #1

Cruise Control does not work

Ok.. the cruise control does not work in my car.. my question is that lights up on my cluster when it's engaged but nothing happens other then that. Where do i begin to figure out the problem

clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:59 AM   #2

Garage
Have you used it before? If not, the use of the controls can be a little confusing.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:31 AM   #3

The system has a pedal switch sensor. I think the one for the cruise is on the clutch. It has an adjustable plunger, if it's shot it's a cheap part to replace and an easy home fix..
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #4

Does any one have a DIY for this clutch switch?.. it worked once before then went to ****************..
Old 03-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb0099
Does any one have a DIY for this clutch switch?.. it worked once before then went to ****************..

It's worth the investment to buy a service manual, the Bentley book is a good one and should pay for itself if you plan on being involved with your own repairs. Having said that, the switch is quite easy to see on your back with your head under the pedals. As I said before, the plunger has what appears to be a ratcheting adjustment to fine tune actuation, if you're truly mechanical you might be able to restore operation of the current switch. If not, you can order one from a variety of sources, study the new part and glean what you can about how it's mounted and replaced, then carefully swap the two pieces, it should be fairly simple, good luck..
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #6

So if i am understanding this it the Brake light switch we are talking about or is another switch?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #7

clb0099,
Just to be clear, you need to push the cruise button in to enable cruise control, then push the stock forward towards the front of the car to activate cruise control at your current speed. If this is what you did and it still does not work, then follow the other members advice.
achillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #8

yea, i have had this car for over 3 yrs.. i used it before and know how it works.. but thanks for the info
Old 03-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #9

Oh right on, I didn't even look at your join date...2006. My bad, hope you figure out the culprit!
achillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #10

i said screw it i am replacing both switches clutch as well as brake.. i spoke to a guy at jack daniels motors porsche told me it can only be three things. it's either one of the switches or the cruise stalk .. so i am going to start off small and work my way up..lol
Old 12-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #11

how did you go with the fix as i am having the exact same problem...
cheers don

Nuts 986 is offline   Reply With Quote