Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #1

Keyless remote lost sync

I haven't been riding my car lately since I've been doing work on it while it's up on jack stands. I went to try and unlock it and it doesn't respond. I put new batteries in and yielded the same result. I have looked at other posts before asking how to do this but everything that people said to try hasn't worked.

In the manual it says if this happens, it's because you leave it unattended for 5 days but all you have to do is start the ignition once and it will be ok after that. Didn't work.

Others say to unlock the car with the key, start the engine, then hit a key right after turning it off. Didn't work.

Any ideas. My battery has also recently died but I charged it up today. Retried everything again. Didn't work.

Put new battery in (even though the old one was new and led was flashing). Didn't work.

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #2

Make sure you didn't lose the transducer coil (looks like a small 'pill') inside the key head.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:06 AM   #3

I have the same problem and tried every trick from every forum with no results.

My condition is slightly different in that my remote key has never worked since I bought the car (and it came with only one key).
I had to have the DS door worked on by the dealer and I was told that they cannot re-program the remote entry for the key without the orginal key codes.

I do have a spare key now, but it has the basic cap (no remote, just a fancy LED light).

Do you have the same issue with all of the keys?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #4

I only have one key for the car and it's the remote one. And yes, the coil is still there.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #5

Why don't Porshce owners have both keys for you when you buy the car?

Sorry I couldn't help. A spare key (with the head) runs about $120 for the blade and $50 for the head. I have heard that some lock smiths can copy the blade and you can get a new cap from Sunset...but a dealer will still have to program the car to the key. I think Sunset also sells remote entry heads.

Good Luck
Old 03-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #6

Considering it was working a few weeks ago, theres gotta be something really stupid that I'm not doing. I'm not gonna fork over that amount of money just yet.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
bmussatti

Viper, what year is your car? This is from the 2003 Owner's Manual:

1) unlock door with key

2) Leave the door closed

3) Press the "lock" button on your key fob

This will reactivate your key.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #8

I don't know what FOB, but I will assume you mean hit the unlock key from the key itself. I'll try and report back.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
bmussatti

Viper, I just simply meant key fob:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_fob

In the Porsche manual, they call the button #1.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #10

Well, I just tried "bmussatti" version... no dice.
Next option?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
Well, I just tried "bmussatti" version... no dice.
Next option?
Trade it in on a 2009 S with PDK!!!

Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket!
Old 03-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #12

Seriously, Porsche's key price isn't that bad.
I put my Mazda CX7 key in my luggage during our trip to Europe last fall, to avoid all the pocket emtying, shoe removing clap trap dog and pony show security crap and returned home with no key!! Beside the $45.00 cab ride home to get my spare key........key blade, key security housing(?) and programming of new key............$343.45!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #13

In reference to the "pill" looking thing inside the casing; can it be twisted at all? The reason I ask is because the previous owner said he had this happened to him once and he just twisted that piece and it was all better. Somehow I feel it's more involved, but I also don't want to force/break anything.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
In reference to the "pill" looking thing inside the casing; can it be twisted at all? The reason I ask is because the previous owner said he had this happened to him once and he just twisted that piece and it was all better. Somehow I feel it's more involved, but I also don't want to force/break anything.
The 'pill' is a simple transducer coil. It isn't attached in any way to the circuit board or battery in the key head.

All it needs is to be within a certain distance to a coil that lives in the ignition lock of the car. This coil in the car is energized by the car battery when you turn the key and sends out a magnetic field which 'excites' the pill which then sends the appropriate signal and the car starts. The pill can be in your pocket (if your pocket is close enough - inside 3-5") - it doesn't have to be in the key, it's just the most convenient place for it.

So, 'twisting' it may not have any effect. Then again, it may better orient the coil to receive the magnetic field from the ignition lock, so it's worth a try, just be careful with it and don't lose it.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
Seriously, Porsche's key price isn't that bad.
I put my Mazda CX7 key in my luggage during our trip to Europe last fall, to avoid all the pocket emtying, shoe removing clap trap dog and pony show security crap and returned home with no key!! Beside the $45.00 cab ride home to get my spare key........key blade, key security housing(?) and programming of new key............$343.45!!!
I like the 2009 S idea better that the $343.45 idea. Well I have two keys, even though neither operate the remote lock. I can just use the key to lock the door.. or the other option I will probably follow is to leave nothing in the car and never lock it. It just like every other used Porsche... sold with no owners manual. And I have the factory radio, which I can pull the faceplate off.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:50 AM   #16

Remote

Mine is a '99 it does the same thing ,light flashes on remote but no reaction from car and the pill is in place. I know my alarm is set when locking the car with key ,the horn blows once and the led flashes on top of dash. I also only have one key! I have not checked the voltage of remote battery , I have cleaned the battery to remove oily residue from finger prints . Will test and replace battery next. Mike

Last edited by pushrodracer; 03-07-2009 at 05:56 AM.
pushrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #17

I was sick of this whole key not working crap, so I went to the store to buy a battery. I popped it in and when I went home, I just did some random stuff and it came back to life. So I think in my case it was a combination of a dead battery and leaving it off for a while.

I think I did something like this:

Locked door, unlocked door, locked door, unlocked door, open door, put key in ignition, turn power on (not starting car), while key in ignition hold down lock button for a couple seconds, same with trunk, take key out, hit lock with door still open, close door, and walah. About 12 easy steps is all it takes. lol
Old 05-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #18

Unhappy

you've had better luck than i. thought perhaps the battery was dead, even though the remote opens the trunk and front lid... new battery but the doors still won't lock / unlock with the remote. the second key works fine.

tried starting the car with the "bad" key, doors... no dice.

sadly i do not have the tag since i bought my boxster second-hand.

hoping the dealer can help.

:ah:
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:08 PM   #19

Garage
key head

when i bought mine last year all three kesy would manually unlock the door and start the car, but only one had functional remote lock/unlock .

i had the key head replaced (still on warranty)

the key head is dettachable from the the key so you don't need to have a new key cut unless you want or need a second key,

take it from there...

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote