Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 01:40 AM   #21

If you enjoy driving a manual, wait to find the right car for you. To most of us, driving a manual sports car is just more fun. Yes, in traffic it is a bit of a PIA, but it's just more fun. In the future, when I purchase a newer model, even if the new automatic is faster, I will only buy a manual.

E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Okay, I guess the other 50% buyers consists of women. (and those with unfortunate left leg injuries.)
Or real men who are not afraid of wearing pink shirts.
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:51 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer311
One possible downside might be that the tip could be harder to sell when it's time for it to go.

When I was looking for my car (spent about 9 months looking), it seemed like only about 25% or less were tiptronics.
WTF? Did you read your own post? Maybe Tip's are easier to sell, THAT'S why only 25% were available, or maybe their owners keep them and manual people sell theirs more often.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:34 AM   #24
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Not true. Boxster production has been mostly 50/50 Tip/manual since inception.
I don't doubt those figures, but in an informal tri-state boxster club I'm in, out of about 30 Boxsters in our group, there is only one I can think of with a TIP, and one of the reasons the owner is trying to sell it is because he wants a manual. Oh, and the owner is a guy, not a girl.

At the end of the day, if the TIP fits your needs, I think it's fine to get it, because you should get what you want, but if the OP is already saying that he thinks the TIP is a drawback in his mind, I think he should pass on it and get a manual.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 01-22-2009 at 04:42 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Okay, I guess the other 50% buyers consists of women. (and those with unfortunate left leg injuries.)

ekam, in order to redeem yourself from the crass, lowlife comment you just made about TIP drivers, you must post new pics of the tall blond in various poses on your (Manual shift) Boxster. She must be wearing black pumps and have her left leg in a cast and the briefest of slutty black dresses. Do this and I will cancel Grizzlys visit to your house but you must act NOW!

AKL :troll:
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:17 AM   #26

Old 01-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #27

My car has Tip. I had a choice of cars when I bought and this one had the best combination of features and price. Like anything, it's got its positives and minuses.

On the positive side, it's a zillion times easier to drive in traffic, my wife likes driving it (she can drive manual fine, just doesn't enjoy it much), you can have a free hand while driving (both a plus and minus) to be disctracted by a drink or your phone ringing, and it can be fun to play with in manual mode, and figure out tricks you can do with it. It also is great for passing, as it will shift down as far as possible, it has no issue with dropping to 3rd at 70+ mph if that's what is needed.

Minus side for me is the lack of the directness you get with a manual, that "solid connection" feel from your foot through the engine, tranny, and drivetrain. Much less engine braking feel, and a lack of immediacy you get with manual. It's also more complex and costs more when the RMS goes to remove and replace.

Overall, I like it and I'm glad I got it. If I didn't have other cars with manual boxes, however, I'd probably be less satisfied.