Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #1

Looking for a '03 boxster- Am i asking for too much??

So im looking to use my tax return to buy my first boxer. Im coming from owning a '94 miata that i have loved to drive but looking to step it up a little.

Im in the tri-state area and looking for an '03 base or S under $15K with less than 60K miles.

is this asking too much in this economy? does anyone know of any good candidates that they can recommend? thank you all.

GoddamSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:03 AM   #2

It all depends how desperate the seller is. There is no bottom in this market yet.

Good luck and do your own research. Always have cash ready. If it's posted it might be gone the next day so keep your eyes open.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #3

Base 03 with higher mileage is a maybe. I Highly doubt you'll find a Boxster S with that mileage range come even close to your asking price.

I have seen 00-02 base and even S models with higher miles list for below this price range. This is in the Bay Area where we have hundred's of Boxster's for sale.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:20 AM   #4
mts

For the S at least, not saying its not "possible", but you are looking well under market value. You'll have to find a car that's been very poorly maintained (not a good idea as it will cost you a lot more in the end) or you'll have to find someone pretty desperate to sell. Maybe you can find a base for that.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts
For the S at least, not saying its not "possible", but you are looking well under market value. You'll have to find a car that's been very poorly maintained (not a good idea as it will cost you a lot more in the end) or you'll have to find someone pretty desperate to sell. Maybe you can find a base for that.
The base model is the one im looking for - like everyone says, i have seen no S models in this price range.

Iv'e seen a couple of bases in the classifieds for this price, but theyre mostly from dealers. its frustrating because when you get in touch with them they start the "Well its only that price if you were in the army in the last 6 months and allready own a porsche and finance at 20% and talk to us on a tuesday afternoon when its exactly 50 degrees outside and theres 2 clouds in the sky, but since its not, the car is 5k more "

it really gets me mad that dealers do this stuff, this is one of the many reasons that this economy is the way it is and the car market is tanking.

so the searching goes on...

Last edited by GoddamSkippy; 03-06-2009 at 05:56 AM.
GoddamSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #6

[QUOTE=GoddamSkippy]Iv'e seen a couple of bases in the classifieds for this price, but theyre mostly from dealers. its frustrating because when you get in touch with them they start the "Well its only that price if you were in the army in the last 6 months and allready own a porsche and finance at 20% and talk to us on a tuesday afternoon when its exactly 50 degrees outside and theres 2 clouds in the sky, but since its not, the car is 5k more "
QUOTE]

From my own experience I actually saw the opposite. During the cold weather season these cars do not sell very well and dealers tend to discount it more than normal. Once the weather gets warmer then these cars tend to sell better.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #7

I don't think dealers give much thought to "tenative" inquiries. Phone calls and tire-kicking won't get any negotiation out of them. If you're truly interested in a car, show up, test drive, and be ready to buy, either with your own financing or theirs.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #8

With people getting tax money and more importantly, spring right around the corner I can see Boxster resale prices going up 5-8% in the next 6 weeks... even in this economy.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #9

i just picked up a clean 02 s 6 speed with 52,000. new brakes and real nice tires. I paid less than 16k, BUT it will need an rms in the next few years and i have to replace the cv boots(seems to be a problem w/6 speed)

It is beautiful and makes me smile
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #10

I found my '02 S in NJ for low $20's (and that was "before" the economy crashed and burned). The car had 11K miles and was a garage queen. I wanted an '03, but jumped on this one because it was the right Boxster.

Whatever you do, I recommend that you get a Pre-purchase inspection on your Boxster. Do a search on that & check out Mike Focke's web site. Good Luck.

BTW - I bet you can find an '03 S for that price if you work hard.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #11

03 Boxster S

Not sure in your part of the country how prices are , or how desperate Box owners are of disposing their toys at such a price, right time(in the winter) and the right place (demand) might work for you.
you get what you pay for, or else just make sure you know what you're getting..
just my cents.. good luck.
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #12

First sign of spring

It was only 32 today - but I happened to be in the Honda dealership and they had a 2002 Silver Boxster S right up front. 26K miles and they were asking 22.5K - so the threads here are right esp in the midwest now is the time to sell a sports car. But don't worry about the pricing - not going up anytime soon.

You can't be taking 14K off sticker and nor expect used car prices to follow.

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote