Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #21

2001 Boxster S - 23,000 miles - no warranty. Bought in 2008...

Engine blows....? well, I guess I buy a replacement (engine) and drive the car until the day I enter the nursing home.... or park and buy a Vette...

Bob - Colorado

Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #22

I have a 2001 Base Boxster, used to be a 2.7, now it's a 3.2 after my 2.7 spun a rod bearing. I'm going without a warranty right now. I did have an extended warranty with Warranty Direct that cost me about $3,100 or so. It ended up paying out about $17,000 over the life of the warranty, although the last $12,970 something took about 14 months and arbitration for me to get.

Mike
thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #23

2000 Boxster S. 87,000 miles, probably 4,000+ in track miles since the warranty expired and no extended warranty. RMS 3 times and replaced the tranny while under warranty at about 45,000 miles and both have been solid ever since (knock on wood). I drive the car very hard and don't do any special maintenance other than more frequent brake bleeding, checking wheel bolts for tightness, etc. I worry more about safety failures and keeping it on the track sunny side up but ahead of the GT3's But if the engine fails, 3.4/3.6 conversion here I come.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #24

2005 Base Bought in June
63,000 miles

No Warranty

I do all my work myself, If I get bored after my 944 is up and running I may even build a spare flat-6 just for the hell of it.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:56 AM   #25

2002 Boxster S , 35k miles, no warranty. If it blew, I'd likely part it out or leave it in the garage to look at while parked next to the C6 ZO6. She's pretty fun and all, my practical side says I could never bring myself to drop $20k into it, just wouldn't make sense to me.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:16 AM   #26

98 Tip with 65K. Bought it with 22K on the clock and turned down a 3 year or 36K warantee for $3600. I am beyond the covered period and ahead $3600. That translates to more HP on the new engine which I would put in. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:33 AM   #27
Track rat

Garage
98, 2.5, 5spd, 78k miles, no payments, no warranty, no fear. Very few unscheduled repairs in 3 1/2 yrs of ownership. I do my own diagnosis and some regular maintenance. My local Econolube does my oil changes now for 20 bux if I supply the oil, filter, crush ring. Not worth my trouble anymore. I also found a good local indy for wrenching stuff I don't care to do. Good to have another set of experienced eyes under the car once a year or so. I just can't stand dealer service.

My car is a weekend toy, joyride, track tool. If I had a serious engine failure there would be no time pressure to fix it so I will weigh my options if and when the time comes. I am over my lust for big horsepower so I may just do a Raby 2.5 spec rebuild and keep it stock. I must admit to taking a little twisted pleasure in driving around GT3s, TTs, 997s, and Vettes in my old, underpowered, POS 2.5L chick car. It is my fatal flaw.

Last edited by Topless; 01-13-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #28

'03 Boxster w/Tip, 40K, extended warranty from Warranty Direct. Drive the car as I feel it should be driven, all regular maintance. RMS replaced under factory warranty just as it expired. Got my extended warranty because of the reputation of this engine to have catastrophic failures long before it reaches a "normal" rebuild or replacement mileage. For me, "normal" is 150K for top end, 200K+ for bottom end on a well-maintained motor - those figures are minimums for the stock late air-cooled flat 6 Porsche engines that these water cooled motors (with supposedly better reliability) replaced.

If I have an engine failure under my WD coverage, I expect it will be a battle like thenavarro had, but this is a weekend car and I've got plenty of time and energy to get my claim honored. If my WD coverage runs out and the car is still working fine, I'm going to sell it and upgrade to a later model Boxster ('05+).
Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #29

'02 Boxster S - 22K miles no warrenty, bought in '07 2nd owner with 20K, RMS done under warrenty by previous owner. Weekend occasional use plus 1 DE where is was heavily thrashed, I expected the brakes would last more than 3 laps on PS2's ... Just installed full Fabspeed exh and Evo intake no dyno #'s yet.
Chris02BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:03 PM   #30

'98 Boxster 2.5 with 125,000 miles. Was my daily driver until last month. Now it's my fun car only.
Slight RMS leak and saving for a clutch-kit / lightweight flywheel before taking the tranny out.
No warranty. I do my work but have a great local indy in case of more complex work.
If the engine goes I will upgrade. The car is paid off and at this point it's all about upgrading and making it the best racing car I can afford! I am looking at what Raby does and I am very interested...
Old 01-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #31

no warranty and did my own ppi.

'01S @30k mi. 5k mi were mine. Weekend touring car. Had to put on a rear wheel bearing, otherwise no probs. The rest of the car would have to be in very good condition to justify the cost of a swap. I've built air cooled 6's and would do some of the work on the box if it came to that.
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:27 AM   #32
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
When I bought the car two years ago the dealer offered me a 3y/36k mile warranty on my '99 Boxster with 17k miles. I got the warranty for $3k. Initially it was worth it because the previous owner had let the car sit and the warranty covered the $1k vacuum leak and bent engine plate.
But lately the warranty has not been used, and the Boxster has been very reliable. When the warranty is up I will probably just put $3k in a saving account or CD for any future repairs, unless I can find something like a 10k/100k engine only warranty for about the same price.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #33

02S - 2nd owner. 35K miles. Bought from dealer with Porsche Certified Warranty for 2years.

So far I have paid for:
Passenger wheel bearing - $700
Coolant leak around the base of the bottle - $279

now it sounds like the driver's rear is making noise - another $700.

Warranty coverage to date - $0.00
eVoMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVoMotion
02S - 2nd owner. 35K miles. Bought from dealer with Porsche Certified Warranty for 2years.

So far I have paid for:
Passenger wheel bearing - $700
Coolant leak around the base of the bottle - $279

now it sounds like the driver's rear is making noise - another $700.

Warranty coverage to date - $0.00
that's one of the downsides to the certified warranty - it's NOT a bumper to bumper "everything is covered" warranty - some of these little items they won't pay for - so you do get coverage for the big ticket items - but on these cars it's the little stuff that nickel and dimes you to death.

i've been lucky so far. in 6 months of ownership i've "only" had two vacuum leaks and now a water pump leaking. each vacuum leak was about $200 in parts/labor to fix. the water pump is close to $600-700 at the independent....

i figure i'll eventually need a clutch... i'm at 75k miles. but my car is a weekend toy.

if/when I lose the motor - i'll decide if I want to keep the car long term or not. If I do - i'd likely do a 3.4 swap. as the car is a third/toy car - i could take my time until I felt comfortable blowing the funds on the motor swap.

you have to admit - it would be a real blast to have a 3.4L powerplant in this car.

the one thing i would consider is how much I culd sell the car for in it's damaged condition. then look at the cost of newer boxsters. given the recession, poor reslae, you might be able to find a newer 986S or 987S for a price that wouldn't be THAT much more than the cost of an $$ swap. ??? it would be MORE for the car, but how MUCH more? given that you'd be getting a newer car that will have all the other items newer - electrical, suspension, brakes, transmission, etc et cetc... you might be smarte to just get a newer boxster, sell the broken one, and eat any "loss"...
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #35

Mine is a 2000 "S" 6-speed with 65K miles and no warranty. I purchased it in January 2009 as a weekend/fun car. I do all my own maintenance, diagnosis and repairs.

Shortly after purchase, I installed a Pedro's front engine mount to replace the broken original. Just last Friday I replaced the leaking one-year-old Laso (German) water pump with a Porsche part from Sunset. Next up is a new Sachs stock clutch, Mobil synth trans fluid, IMS bearing check, maybe a RMS and an AOS replacement. If the engine were to suffer an internal failure, I would probably swap in a 3.4L as it would be fairly simple to do so.

I couldn't afford this car if I were paying someone else to fix it!

* 9x7 short shifter * Pedro's enthusiast mount * Carrera Ltw. wheels * Stebro bypass pipes
* M030 coming soon! *
Blue-S is offline   Reply With Quote