View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
23109VC

POLL - Who is ON a warranty and who is OFF Warranty (risking it all)

I just thought it would be interesting to see what the breakdown is here on this forum - among Boxster owners.

Obviously, the people here with brand new cars, or just buying CPO cars will have a warranty. But a lot of you running around in 2.5s obviously are way OFF the factory warranty - but a lot of people may have some form of extended warranty on the car....

If you care to contribute, can you post your year/model/mileage and whether you have a warranty or not. Factory, CPO Porsche Warranty, third party (who is it) and might as well tell us if you've been pleased with the warranty coverage so
far..

also toss this is - for you OFF warranty guys - what are you planning to do in the event of "the worst" and your motor blew up. Fix it w used motor, fix it with upgraded motor, sell car for parts... and then would you buy another boxster is you had to sell off your car for parts...

Here's me.

2000 base. 75k miles.
NO WARRANTY.

Although prior to buying from my dad he did have a third party warranty through Fidelity that he bought from the dealer. it was a 3 yr / 36k miles warranty he bought right when the factory warranty was expiring. He paid about $3000 for it. It ended up paying of for him as he needed some new interior parts (a new leather dash) a new top, and new cats...that and the other few things he had done were at least 3k...maybe a bit more..so he broke even or won "slightly".

Car had an RMS leak at about 15k miles and the dealer put in a new motor - that was back in 2001'ish. That was under warranty. so the "new" motor has about 60k on her...

If my motor blows - I don't know if I would pay to fix it. I figure my car is worth mayb $10-12k in this market...at MOST. and if it costs me that much to fix it... that's a LOT of money to put into a car - i can't see the logic of investing 100% of a cars worth to fix it when it is as old as mine....
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote