Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 10:57 PM   #1

car won't unlock after 5 days of no use and key doesn't work

I came back from new years vacation of 5 days and my
key fob doesn't work. the problem is my key lock
stopped working a while ago and I never repaired
it, so now I can't get in the car. the key lock turns
both directions when I insert the key, but doesn't
unlock.

so is there any way to get the key fob working
again without manually unlocking the car?

mjstallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #2

It's funny because I don't own one, but I can tell you that after a while your car will disable itself to where you have to manually open the door, I'm sure you know that but now my only sugestion is getting someone to unluck your car the not so legal way lol sorry I wasn't much help, I'm just bummed because in these tough times it seems as if one things going wrong right after another, my computer just crashed, I lost everything and now I'm posting this from my phone, sorry for going off topic, but remember not to get stressed, I'd rather have a Porsche I can't get into than not having one at all, hope you find a solution soon!
Nineteen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:32 PM   #3

There is a way to open the front trunk by pulling on the manual release cable in the front drivers side wheel well. once in the front trunk you can unplug the battery. Wait 30 seconds then plug it back in. I would think this would reset the keyless entry.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/whenyourbatteryisdead

"Another method is...Inside the top of the driver's front wheel well, just aft of the spring coil mount, is a little rectangular corner in the black plastic shroud that lines the inside of the wheel well. Reach under this, and you will feel a "wire" about 1/8" in diameter. Too thick for an electrical wire (and not in a harness anyway). Tug this cable gently out from behind the shroud and get a good grip on a loop of it. Now pull hard away from the headlight once, and prepare to hear the music of the alarm as the front hood pops open."

OR if you wanna be really BA, take your shirt off, wrap it around your hand and punch out one of your windows. If people are around this makes you look awesome....stupid, but awesome.

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg

Last edited by fragdude; 01-06-2009 at 11:35 PM.
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:22 AM   #4

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragdude
There is a way to open the front trunk by pulling on the manual release cable in the front drivers side wheel well. once in the front trunk you can unplug the battery. Wait 30 seconds then plug it back in. I would think this would reset the keyless entry.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/whenyourbatteryisdead

"Another method is...Inside the top of the driver's front wheel well, just aft of the spring coil mount, is a little rectangular corner in the black plastic shroud that lines the inside of the wheel well. Reach under this, and you will feel a "wire" about 1/8" in diameter. Too thick for an electrical wire (and not in a harness anyway). Tug this cable gently out from behind the shroud and get a good grip on a loop of it. Now pull hard away from the headlight once, and prepare to hear the music of the alarm as the front hood pops open."

OR if you wanna be really BA, take your shirt off, wrap it around your hand and punch out one of your windows. If people are around this makes you look awesome....stupid, but awesome.
A method easier on hand bones and knuckles than the last option is to use an old spark plug (or buy a new cheapie) Hold the spark plug in your fist with the electrode sticking out (the end you would connect to the plug cable ) swing your fist backhand and strike the window as hard as you can with the end of the spark plug. That window will shatter super easy. Lessons from a misspent youth.

Last edited by gregdacat; 01-07-2009 at 04:32 AM.
gregdacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
FTD

LOL I learn so many cool things on this forum
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdacat
A method easier on hand bones and knuckles than the last option is to use an old spark plug (or buy a new cheapie) Hold the spark plug in your fist with the electrode sticking out (the end you would connect to the plug cable ) swing your fist backhand and strike the window as hard as you can with the end of the spark plug. That window will shatter super easy. Lessons from a misspent youth.
Cutting the canvas top with a knife is much cleaner, without all those broken glass all over your interior.

Plus, how do you get to the spark plug from the engine?

Last edited by ekam; 01-08-2009 at 11:32 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #7

+1 on getting into the front trunk. The cable is tricky to find, but it's there. Once you release the front trunk the alarm will go off. Simply then turn the alarm off with the key FOB. I don't think you even need to disconnect the battery.

Alternatively will the alarm go off if you elevate the car? I know some alarms will do this to keep thieves from just towing your car away. If that's the case with the Boxster, then you might just need to jack the car up on one end. Again, my thinking is that if you set the alarm off, then you'll "wake" the car up and you can turn the alarm off and open the door then with the key FOB.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
+1 on getting into the front trunk. The cable is tricky to find, but it's there. Once you release the front trunk the alarm will go off. Simply then turn the alarm off with the key FOB. I don't think you even need to disconnect the battery.

Alternatively will the alarm go off if you elevate the car? I know some alarms will do this to keep thieves from just towing your car away. If that's the case with the Boxster, then you might just need to jack the car up on one end. Again, my thinking is that if you set the alarm off, then you'll "wake" the car up and you can turn the alarm off and open the door then with the key FOB.

Kirk
No motion sensor on the boxster alarm system... just an IR motion detector inside the cabin.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:51 AM   #9

Before you go fishing around too much, my release cable is in the PASSENGER front wheel well. We are talking about a US car, right?
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofishbein
Before you go fishing around too much, my release cable is in the PASSENGER front wheel well. We are talking about a US car, right?
I didn't catch that, yes the trunk release cable should be on the passenger's side, not the driver's side. The original poster is from California, so I'd assume it's a US car.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #11

Man that sucks!!

I tried fishing for that trunk release on night my battery died (left the lights on). Total waste of time. That cable moves around in that that fender and if it moves too far forward you won't be able to reach it with your hand. I ended up going to Target and buying one of the Black and Decker jump start packs that plugs into the cig lighter. Just enough juice to open the trunk. So you will need one of these jump start things even if you do break the window. Some years didn't have electric trunk release, I think the 99 and older.

What does replacing a window go for these days?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #12

I wonder what it would take to trick the IR sensors into setting off the alarm.
Maybe I will try pointing a couple of remote controls at it and see if any set them off.
Maybe all it takes is some sunshine and mirror. With that thought, using a magnifying glass to set the dash I fire might get the desired result.
Ok… maybe “desired result” is the wrong phrase.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #13

Tricking the motion sensor will not work. If you set off the alarm, the remote will not deactivate it.

The alarm module in the car has stopped 'listening' for the remote and the only way to activate this feature is to start the car once with the ignition key.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 01-09-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Tricking the motion sensor will not work. If you set off the alarm, the remote will not deactivate it.

The alarm module in the car has stopped 'listening' for the remote and the only way to activate this feature is to start the car once with the ignition key.
So if the key won't work in the door lock you're SOL? You have to break a window or find an alternate point of entry into the car to put the key in the ignition and get the fob working again? That blows.

What about getting the trunk open and disconnecting then reconnecting the battery as others have mentioned? Will that wake up the alarm unit to listen for the remote?
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #15

Sounds like time for that new top you've been longing for...

I change the battery in my key fob once a year, whether it needs it or not.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #16

question-- Have you called the dealer? Maybe you can have AAA tow the car there and they'll get the door the open by removing the lock or something.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #17

Correct me if I'm wrong as I don't own one of these yet, but as I stated in my first post, can a "profesional" not come out and "break" into your car for you, as if you would have left your keys inside your car? I know tow truck companies do this. It's probabaly not as cool as breaking windows and ripping open tops but it might be more practical.
Nineteen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarsha
So if the key won't work in the door lock you're SOL?
Yep... The Alarm shuts down it's receiver and is no longer 'listening' for the remote after 5 days, ironically enough... to save the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarsha
What about getting the trunk open and disconnecting then reconnecting the battery as others have mentioned? Will that wake up the alarm unit to listen for the remote?
Nope... The Alarm will only reactivate to sense the remote after being started with the key.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 01-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Nope... The Alarm will only reactivate to sense the remote after being started with the key.
If thats true you are probably best off taking the car to a dealer. Tow truck guys put a wedge in the door and inflate it enough so they can stick a hook in and unlock the door. The boxster doesn't have a visible lock (the handle would have to be pulled back I assume) and you might break the window/damage the top if you wedge the door open.

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #20

I locked my keys in my 04 a year ago or so. Actually, I was the last one at the office, pulled the door behind me (locked of course), then reached in my pocket for the key to work the deadbolt. Keys were sitting on my desk. I remembered I had spare office keys in my Boxster console. Found a dead branch on a tree in the lot, pried the window open slightly with fingers, inserted branch, pushed the console button which popped the lid up slightly. Then got another branch with a little "hook" on the tip and lifted the console lid, then reached in the console and snagged the key ring. Pulled it out to me and was able to get back in the office and retrieve my real key ring.

The point of all that (other than to illustrate my MacGuyver-like ingenuity) is that all that did no damage to the window or seal.

I can't remember if I just couldn't get the stick to properly push the unlock button in the upper console or if it doesn't work if the doors are locked by the remote. Anyway, that was my first intention, but it didn't work for some reason. But your car is older and they changed some things -- I would try pushing the unlock button with a stick first.

Matt

NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote