Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #21

in my situation, factor in the fact that im 23 and driving a porsche and the "hate" grows exponentially...

scared to take it to school.. but i'll admit, when i go to a meeting or something or have a business lunch, people seem to take me more seriously when they see me get out of the box.. almost like "wow, he must be good at what he does.. ", so they tend to "fall in line" with a lot of the stuff i propose.

reminds me of:

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Yellowboxster01,

Now that was funny!
You like that? Haha, it always makes me laugh because, it's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness
in my situation, factor in the fact that im 23 and driving a porsche and the "hate" grows exponentially...
Oh I gotcha, I get mistaken for a 22-23 year old more often than not. Truth being told I'll be 31 in less than 20 days. But, I suppose my family just has good genes. The most common question is, "how did you afford a $60+K car at such a young age. I just laugh for many reasons.

I think people are a bit thrown off though because, if someone asks I'll tell them all about my car. I've run into plenty of the pretentious boobs who drive these cars just for the horse on the front that somehow makes them feel better about themselves. I would rather not be one of those, ever, EVER or even grouped into that category. I should hope that some people that I've talked to now see my car and remember that I'm a nice and polite person. Any time someone compliments my car I always say thank you because, that's the polite thing to do and I thought everyone did that.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #23

I'm 26 .. this is my second boxster .. had one since 23 ish .. heard many of the `hate` comment .. but this is my favorite

Me driving out of gas station .. looking left and right for traffic before i merge
Bum walking from the stop light to my car .. passes my car .. looks back at me and say .. youngsta .. when i grow up .. i wanna be just like you .. how about that ?
Me .. lmao .. have a nice day .. drive off ..
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #24
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijen6
I'm 26 .. this is my second boxster .. had one since 23 ish .. heard many of the `hate` comment .. but this is my favorite

Me driving out of gas station .. looking left and right for traffic before i merge
Bum walking from the stop light to my car .. passes my car .. looks back at me and say .. youngsta .. when i grow up .. i wanna be just like you .. how about that ?
Me .. lmao .. have a nice day .. drive off ..

Frankly, that one is just a lil sad, I had a bum try to open the door to my 944 one night, I blew the light just as he reached for the handle.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:44 PM   #25

The Boxster is seen in 2 different views.

You have those that likes performance cars but says well you should have bought a 911.

then you have the group that thinks well you are rich and we hate you because of it.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis
The Boxster is seen in 2 different views.

You have those that likes performance cars but says well you should have bought a 911.

then you have the group that thinks well you are rich and we hate you because of it.
Haha wait so that implies that people either wants to buy a 911, or does not like anything that shows wealth.

Where do I fit?
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #27

Yep that is what I am saying I have two kinds of friends and family.

Some have very little money and just see me as having too much the other group has high end cars (CGT, 430's 993TT "S") That just think the 986 is the new 914. Oh well to each their own I could have sold my car and purchased a 996TT or any Carrera but I just like the way the Boxster drives more.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:52 AM   #28

I usually get two responses... "Oh, you got the chick Porsche" or "Wow, that's my dream car."

I live in Southern California, (one of my neighbor's has a new Ferrari F430) so when I got m 2006 Boxster I thought I wouldn't get any response at all.

Before this I had a '71 911 T that was partially restored. I only paid $6,000.00 for it and had fun but as my "driver" got a little tired of little things going awry. The broken glove compartment latch, etc. When the clutch cable broke on the freeway and I safely pulled into the breakdown lane, I had people driving by pointing and laughing. I don't think they would have done this with a 30 plus year old Toyota.

It just comes with the territory. I just know that when I'm driving on some twisty back road with a smile on my face I could give a d**n what Jeremy Clarkson thinks. Besides doesn't that bugger drive a drive a Ford GT... Please
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter
I could give a d**n what Jeremy Clarkson thinks. Besides doesn't that bugger drive a drive a Ford GT... Please
Only when it's actually running as opposed to broken down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblood
In my opinion, especially in the Boxster range, I think the cocks and posers drive 350Z's and Mustangs (I realize its not the same range, but close enough).
Mustang and 350Z drivers do tend to be idiots and posers, though I wouldn't describe them as anything worse than that. Now the true A-holes of the road are the VW and Honda drivers. Have you ever noticed that 90% of VW (excepting maybe Beetle drivers) and Honda drivers will tailgate you constantly regarless of what speed you are doing?
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:11 AM   #30
Fred Demara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
Last weekend I had my first encounter with "the hate". I ran to the post office to mail Christmas cards. I was in there for about 3 minutes. When I came out I noticed - and I'm not sure how I noticed with all the salt on the car - that somebody had graced the rear bumper with a nasty wad of phlegm. No big deal. Since it hadn't frozen yet, I cleaned it off as soon as I got home.
haters are people who, for whatever reason, feel like they've been dealt a bad hand. They blame external factors for their failures (and possibly, external forces are the reason they've failed). Maybe for them, a Porsche symbolizes the in-equities they've suffered - so by damaging your car, they can, in some small, silly way, "spit at" those self-perceived injustices...and, in their minds, exact revenge.

Your best revenge is to smile...it's going to happen - there is very little you can do to prevent it...if you let it get to you, you've given the offender something.

boy, am I glad I took psych 101 at community college
Old 12-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #31

There is an old Buddhist saying:

"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional!"

Main Entry: in·ev·i·ta·ble
Pronunciation: \i-ˈne-və-tə-bəl\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin inevitabilis, from in- + evitabilis evitable
Date: 14th century
: incapable of being avoided or evaded

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:10 AM   #32

They may lack self-esteem. They place great value on things of little value. The finest automobile is of no value compared to the life or well being of a loved one, or their own, but they don't see it that way. They may see the car you drive as being more worthwhile then they themselves are, ergo, you are the much reviled master.

Or...
They're simply Aholes.

Last edited by Brucelee; 12-31-2008 at 02:07 PM.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:35 PM   #33

If you think there are a lot of haters because you own a Porsche, take up road cycling. It'll change your perspective.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:40 PM   #34

++1 on that. I had 2 near misses in 30 miles yesterday afternoon. One moron almost rear ended a car turning left in front of me because he was so intent on passing me, and another idiot almost turned left across traffic in front of me-I got a separated shoulder last October when the same thing happened and I t-boned a minivan at 24 mph. I also got buzzed by an a-hole in a Cayenne yesterday. Damn Porsche drivers can be such pricks. I should wear a jersey that says "My Other Car is A Boxster"
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:39 PM   #35

Garage
Don't you bicyclist take this the wrong way but...when you all start paying registration fees and obeying the traffic laws like the rest of the vehicles (cars, trucks and motorcycles) that use the roads then maybe other drivers will respect you. I can't tell you how many times I've had bicycles pull in front of me at stop lights then run through them like they had the right. It's like they use the road and act like their abiding by the law and then brake the law and use the excuse that their just bikes.

If you don't pay road taxes (registration, gas tax, required safety insp.) or you're not required to take a test showing you know the rules of the road then you shouldn't be on the road.

BTW, do you guys carry vehicle insurance? Liability at least? Because if you run into someone and cause that vehicle to crash or someone gets injured, who pays?

Dmcutter,

"I also got buzzed by an a-hole in a Cayenne yesterday. Damn Porsche drivers can be such pricks." What's up with that?

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 12-31-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:15 AM   #36

Wow, I didn't know there were "haters" out there for bicyclist too?

I think I'm at the top of the most "hated list"..... I own both a road bike and a mountan bike, I own a sailboat (damn blow boaters) and I own a Boxster.

Can't we just get along?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #37

Jax,

"I also got buzzed by an a-hole in a Cayenne yesterday. Damn Porsche drivers can be such pricks." What's up with that? That's called sarcasm...since I own a Porsche, one might think you would get that I wasn't really dissing Porsche drivers.

As far as licenses, road use tax, blah blah blah, I pay insurance and property taxes and outrages NC gas taxes for my Box, my Rodeo, and my motorcycle. My bicycle doesn't cause wear and tear on the roads and doesn't spew pollution into the air or consume fossil fuels. I obey traffic laws, and a bicycle is, in fact, by law, a vehicle subject to the same rules and rights as a motor vehicle.

I don't condone bicyclist blowing traffic lights-it's stupid and a good way to get killed. I ride as far to the right as practicable and when we ride in groups we don't bunch up and hold up traffic. I get buzzed by all kinds of pricks who think it's cute to see how close they can get to us, and I've been hit by a pick up truck's mirror at 50 mph. I guess all these a-holes don't have children that ride bicycles around their neighborhoods-I doubt they would condone motorists treating their kids that way.
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #38

No need to bash each other here.

There are clearly some bike riders who subject themselves to risk by their riding habits. It happens to all who frequent the roads. I see runners on the edge of the road when they have a perfectly safe sidewalk.

Go figure????

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbanders
If you think there are a lot of haters because you own a Porsche, take up road cycling. It'll change your perspective.
Dude, expect that in Phoenix - the worst city in the US for bicycle fatalities. I used to live in Chandler, scary.
As far as hate goes, it's everywhere. I've had M cars, muscle cars and rice cars (RX-7). Somebody is always gonna assume some bad character trait about you no matter what. I know everybody is looking at me in this Podunk little Georgia town I now live in when I drive the Box. It's just something you have to accept with the vehicle.
The cycling is great though...
Sam
Tall Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #40

Good question though.

If a bicycle hits you at a decent biking speed (assuming 24mph from earlier post) .. that is enough force to cause dent + dings to some panels or at the very least paint damage.

Who pays ? Your insurance ? Will your rate go up if its is this type of accident ? I am assuming its a `hit and run` or not at fault accident ?

To me it make sense to require bicycle insurance for everyone using the road. (sidewalk doesn't count so joggers and pedestrians are still exempt)

Last edited by vijen6; 01-01-2009 at 05:01 PM.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote