Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2005, 06:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2519j
Dam I should feel angry at your statement about the "old folk" but I am 56 and waited until I was 55 to buy my first Porsche 2003 Boxster S. I always bought the practical car as my father had saddled me with that thought. If it wasn't for my wife I would not have this car today. I originally looked at the Audi S-4 and M-3 when my wife said to me why don't you look at the Porsches that you have always longed? I love the car , Boxster S and it is a machine and an experience that keeps multiplying every day. I use it as a daily driver and people are shocked about that! In NY in the winter Oh my god!. I simply answer I bought to be used not to sit in a garage and collect dust.
So young man just think of me when you get old and still driving my Porsche and your scary thoughts should disappear. Just buckle up and enjoy the ride.
I am 46 will be 47 in April just picked up my first Porsche, first Boxster last week.
I traded in my 2004 BMW Mini Cooper S. The Mini is a very good car, the Boxster is a great car it only took one test drive. And ya my wife gave me permission!!!!!!
she is a great gal. I to use it as a daily driver, the more I drive it the more I understand just how good it is.

MLegere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:00 PM   #22

Hey, I'm 54 and I think I'm giving up a little bit of interior space by switching my 968 for the Boxster S I have on order. After driving the S, it's worth the trouble. If I get too old to bend down, I figure I can get one of those top hoists that people mount on the garage ceiling and swing myself into the driver's seat. Now only if I could have ordered the driver's side "lift chair option" to help me out . . .
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #23

Talking

Wow, I am 55 and planning on taking the US Marine fitness test on my 56th birthday. Perhaps I should just take a nap instead?

:dance:
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:11 AM   #24

my $.02 worth

Everyone's responses to this thread are very astute. I just got my 97 black Boxster out of the shop where it had been for 3 days while my local mechanic fixed a few minor problems (most annoyingly, the passenger side window quit working due to a corroded wire). I took it home, removed the hardtop, and cleaned the interior after a long winter. The hardtop had been on for the last 4 months as this car is a daily driver. Today I drove it to work with the top down for the first time since I installed the Dansk muffler, and all I can say is WOW. The absolute rightness of the way it feels, the fantastic sound with the top down are simply unmatched by any other car on the road. There are other good performing cars out there, but only the Boxster becomes part of you, an extension of your brain when you drive it. And it's just the best looking car on the road, bar none. I can't park it without taking one last glance over my shoulder as I walk away.

Mike
scubaguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:02 AM   #25

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaguy10
I can't park it without taking one last glance over my shoulder as I walk away.
My girlfriend laughs at me for this at least once a week.

The other morning, I woke up before her, went to open the drapes, and just stood there staring out the window at my Boxster. Thinking my girlfriend is still asleep, I'm just smiling like an idiot, when I hear from behind me "it's still gonna be there when you get downstairs". Hehe.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:21 AM   #26

I've had my 97 for nearly a year now, and I still open the garage door, pull the car into the driveway, and sit down on a patio chair and just stare at it on Saturday mornings. All my life I dreamed of owning a Porsche and it's still hard to think "I actually own that car. It's mine."

I guess the marketing guys are right. Porsche, there is no subsitute.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:14 AM   #27

"it's still gonna be there when you get downstairs". Hehe. "

You might be making here jealous. You better start staring at her that way.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:28 AM   #28

Feelings on my Boxster

I've had my Boxster for several years now and I have a few things to say about the car.

1. Not fast enough. I can outrun it with my 944.
2. Really cool looking. I think the 986 looks better that the 987. My car is a 97 and still looks as new as anything else out there.
3. The car handles great. Put some wider 911 wheels on it and the rear really sticks.
4. The interior is functional, but cheap looking. Even with the upgrades that Porsche offers, it's always looked cheesy.
5. The great thing about a Porsche is it can take a beating. I driven the mess out of that car and it just want's more. Try doing that in a Ferrari.
6. You get looks in it. It ain't fast, but sure looks it. Just watch who you race. Looks are deceiving.

I bought this car when I was 27. Now that I've got a little more money, the decision to keep the car has swayed to the negative side. There are too many Boxsters on the road. I liked it when I didn't see that many around. I live on the North Carolina coast. (convertible country) Now, they're everywhere. I wish there weren't so many on the road and that they weren't so affordable. Seeing 18 year olds pimping them out really turns me off on the car. It's not the car, it's that I feel it is becoming less exotic. The more people that have them, the more people know how underpowered the Boxster really is. I thought about buying a new 987, but the power issue is just that...a power issue.
The Boxster is what it is, a sweet handling machine. That's it's strength. But for the head turns and seeing one on every corner I guess I've lost interest in it.
Last weekend I drove a Maserati Spyder. You can get a nice 2002 for around 50K-60K. That car has the paddle shifters, amazing take off, and you never see them on the road. Pretty Cool.
I've recently purchased an old 911 RSR. I am restoring it now. This is the car that has taken my attention. Whether I keep the Boxster or not is yet to be seen. I've got it for sale, but I'm torn on whether to sell it or not. Don't know if I'll miss it?
daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:30 AM   #29

Once you get into a Porsche, it's hard to leave. After I test drove the Corvette C6, I came home and told my wife that I wasn't sure. I might want to just refurbish my 10-year-old 968. After I drove the Boxster S, I put down a deposit before I walked out of the showroom. As for the Maserati, it's a beautiful car, but I wonder about the durability down the line.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:06 AM   #30

Talking

"the Maserati, it's a beautiful car, but I wonder about the durability down the line."

Sadly, there is nothing to wonder about. The Mas simply will not hold up based on its storied but troubled past!

Last edited by Brucelee; 04-12-2005 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:27 AM   #31

Send a message via MSN to ntmatter
I took in my Viper to trade at the local exotic car reseller (www.parkplaceltd.com), intent on trading it for a used 996 turbo. After driving the 911, I had one picked out but wanted to try out a Boxster first just for the sake of comparison. I drove the Boxster (not an S), and realized that for $60K less I got a car that was 90% as good all things considered, with better handling and more accessible performance, just less grunt and no back seat. So, I saved the money and got the Box.

A
Old 04-12-2005, 08:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by daman
I thought about buying a new 987, but the power issue is just that...a power issue.
The Boxster is what it is, a sweet handling machine. That's it's strength. But for the head turns and seeing one on every corner I guess I've lost interest in it.
Last weekend I drove a Maserati Spyder. You can get a nice 2002 for around 50K-60K. That car has the paddle shifters, amazing take off, and you never see them on the road. Pretty Cool.

You can buy a slighty used 02 Maserati or you could buy a brand new 05 987 S for the same coinage. The boxster will most certainly handle better and with the new engine out-put it would be only an eye-blink slower than the Maser..if that. It would probabbly feel like a rocket compared to your 97. YOu should go for a test drive.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:48 AM   #33

boxster

you guys should all come to scotland in the Uk, There arent many boxsters here , lovely scenery , twisting roads , sun at least for 3 days in the summer ( lol )
I Have had Mercedes, Jaguars , Rovers , Sprints, Range Rovers ect ,
I Can Honestly say the Boxster makes me grin everytime i even think about taking her out ,
its even handy given that we are a 3 person family , solution : they dont get in it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure i wish we could all afford a gt3 and the running of it , but we all have a budget, i think you should all enjoy it for what the car is , a smile machine
of course if there are any millionaires out there who wish to update me , please email me and i will give an address to ship the car you dont want , promise it will have a great home ,

thanks all from scotland
saorsa
saorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #34

Talking

Good to hear from someone from the other side of the POND!

Old 06-04-2005, 04:17 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by saorsa
you guys should all come to scotland in the Uk, There arent many boxsters here , lovely scenery , twisting roads , sun at least for 3 days in the summer ( lol )

It's more embarrassing for me located in the South West. We've only had three days sun as well
harrisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 06:57 PM   #36

Cars have always been one of my best motivators. Now that I have the 2004 Box, I don't surf autotrader and ebay, I don't cruise car lots, and no other car does it for me. Every other car has a little something wrong. And yes there are cars I really want, but not enough to motivate me to go the extra mile. I could all excited about a 2006 987S if they made an all black interior. I hate that silver Japanese plastic look.

I am all hot for a C4S, but I like roadsters. Can't afford a CGT or the likes. I guess I am stuck in 986 bliss.

It's been raining all day and it finally cleared up at dusk; me and my 4 yr old went for a cruise in what he calls "The Roaster". Bliss :dance:

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:49 AM   #37

would LOVE to get my boxster to Scotland. I can still picture the stunning landscapes and inviting roads, especially around Inverness. What a beautiful town. transit costs are actually reasonable, the issue seems to always be lack of time. someday...
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:10 PM   #38

daydreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisg
It's more embarrassing for me located in the South West. We've only had three days sun as well
Reminiscing of what isn't but maybe one day I will be able, to be able to run my Boxster in my homeland,Cuba once the dictator dies or is quartered or some other pleasant way of getting rid of him and his regime . I can only imagine the palm trees, the clear blue water with a tropical breeze and at night a beautiful celestial display.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:32 PM   #39

Most of my sports car life has revolved around Mazda Miatas. I have owned eleven of those little Japanese Roadsters and I still love them (still own one too). Granted they are no match for a Boxster but you have to consider price positioning as well. Last Christmas my hubby bought me my 2000 Boxster. We actually bought the car from Courtney Cox (from the TV Show Friends). I have never been so in-love with a car! I have had some cool and different types of cars (two DeLoreans, two BMW Z3's, a Corvette, other Porsches and plenty others). The Boxster kills all of them for pure smiling while driving! I love the way it looks, the way it sounds and the way it feels! Way to go Porsche!!!
BoxsterBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:44 AM   #40

As a teenager, I said to myself, "when i turn 25, something great is going to happen." (Reason being is because my Bday lands on the 25th, and I just felt like hoping in something great).

25 years old now, lost my girlfriend, and I started to get worried about staying bored. Ever since I bought my first Brand new car '99 Civic Si, I babied it. Then sold it. another truck, Bla bla. I needed another car to baby. I thought everything was going down the drain, but after my break up with my girl, BAM! Got the Porsche. (LOL, on her Birthday!)

Ended up with a 98 Porsche blk/blk, sports package, very reasonable price. BELOW Kelly blue book value by thousands, all car fax done, major maintenance done. I couldn't refuse. Used yes, but I never get bored of looking at it. It turns heads everyday, and I honestly get complements about once every two days. Even in the drive thru! Everyone always say, "OMG, I can't believe you got a PORSCHE." Friends ask the common questions, "how much, what year?" I tell them it's a '98, their response, "oh.. errr.." Then they see it later on; their response, "WHOA looks better than I thought! You bast*rd!"

Got back with the girl I wanted, and there's nothing in the world better than driving with the top down, girl in passenger seat, people staring, and bumping the music. Ahhh... what a great dream.......Oh wait.. It's not! It's all for real!!!

Who cares about all the maintenance costs. It's realiable as any other used car, it's a PORSCHE, and everyone will know you as, "oh, [name] who drives the PORSCHE!"

Okay enough said. That's my life story.

ralegen is offline   Reply With Quote