Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #1

Ppi?

Hi - I am shopping for a Boxter S and am probably going to have to search out of state to find the one I want. How do I go about finding and hiring someone to do a PPI for me when I zero in on one I think I might like to buy.

Thanks for any help.

Petermcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
bmussatti

Find an Indy or a dealership near the seller, and arrange for the PPI. The seller can take the car in for the PPI. You pay for the PPI and get the report from the tech.

Whether you negotiate the final price before or after the PPI is up to you and your negotiating style.

Let us know what city the car is in, and someone here can recommend a place to get the car checked-out.

Good luck. The hunt is sometimes more fun than the actual kill!

What are you looking for? Year? Colors? $ range?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #3

I am actually looking more forward to the kill. The hunt is stressfull. I cannot afford to make an expensive mistake. Ok too much of an expensive mistake....

I think I might have found one I like a lot. It is just outside Chicago (Lombard, Ill.) 2001 S-type , Seal gray , Just under 60K miles, priced $17,800, Two owners to date. First owner had car as "corporate fleet" - whatever that means.??? 2nd owner has has car just over 2 years.

It is being sold by a dealer who says to contact them for an "autocheck report". Is that the same as a PPI? Do I look for another dealer to check it out? Or does someone know who in Chicago I could hire to do a PPI? I think I want that report before negotiating final price.

Do I want litronic lights or are conventional lens halogen bulb headlight as good? Or are the litronic lights an easy upgrade?
Do I want that PSM stability management system???? I don't see myself driving that car to the edge and from what I read it doesn't kick in till you are pushing the edge....

I am looking for an S-type Boxter and I am looking to spend up to 15-20K max so I am probably limited to a car built between 2000 and 2003. I like seal gray color the best by far but I think the silver and dark blue are also good. Like the tan or black interiors. Prefer one with a cd player. Most important though is one that is not going to give a lot of problems and that I can drive regularly in the 8 months of good weather we get on Cape Cod.

Again - any help is greatly appreciated. Anyone needing architecture advice- maybe I can reciprocate.
Petermcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
bmussatti

"Auto check" is not a PPI. Sounds more like a CarFax report.

Don't do a PPI by the selling dealership. You need a 3rd party to protect your interests. There is a Porsche (630-725-0911) dealership in Westmont. Not too far from Lombard. About 5 miles.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Moostang
pm

Hey Peter, pm'd you
Moostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #6

The Litronics are Porsche's Xenon headlights. I highly recommend them -- they are among the best headlights that I've had on any of my cars. I think you can upgrade after the fact. Litronics are a nice to have -- but not 100% critical. They became standard on S models in the second half of the '02 model year(?).

PSM -- I also highly recommend this option. Its not obtrusive and very effective. PSM kicks in AFTER YOU HAVE CROSSED THE EDGE. And when that day comes (it will in the first week you own your car), you will be very very happy your car has PSM. I would not buy a car without PSM.

Look for a car with the spare, manual, 2 keys, tire changing jack and tools. Wind deflectors for the cabin are a must have.

PPI = "pre purchase inspection" -- that means you pay someone who knows what they are doing to look at all the usual problem spots on your Boxster. Expect to pay a few hundred dollars for this service.

Boxsters can be expensive to fix and maintain. IF they are well maintained and not abused, you can expect them to have better than average reliability even as a daily driver. The purpose of the PPI is to find out if you have any major problems -- or lingering potentially expensive maintenance. If your car doesn't have clear records of oil changes walk away. I would also rule out any car that shows alignment issues or any hint of body damage. I would also want to see spark plugs (twice already?), brake fluid (2-3 times at least). History of repairs such as Air/Oil seperator or MAF/02 sensors are common and OK if done correctly. If the rear window is cracked - its a $1500 repair. You will spend $1500 on performance tires. At 60K miles, how's the clutch? These things matter.

Last edited by fatmike; 04-29-2009 at 04:49 PM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote