Thread: Ppi?
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
fatmike

The Litronics are Porsche's Xenon headlights. I highly recommend them -- they are among the best headlights that I've had on any of my cars. I think you can upgrade after the fact. Litronics are a nice to have -- but not 100% critical. They became standard on S models in the second half of the '02 model year(?).

PSM -- I also highly recommend this option. Its not obtrusive and very effective. PSM kicks in AFTER YOU HAVE CROSSED THE EDGE. And when that day comes (it will in the first week you own your car), you will be very very happy your car has PSM. I would not buy a car without PSM.

Look for a car with the spare, manual, 2 keys, tire changing jack and tools. Wind deflectors for the cabin are a must have.

PPI = "pre purchase inspection" -- that means you pay someone who knows what they are doing to look at all the usual problem spots on your Boxster. Expect to pay a few hundred dollars for this service.

Boxsters can be expensive to fix and maintain. IF they are well maintained and not abused, you can expect them to have better than average reliability even as a daily driver. The purpose of the PPI is to find out if you have any major problems -- or lingering potentially expensive maintenance. If your car doesn't have clear records of oil changes walk away. I would also rule out any car that shows alignment issues or any hint of body damage. I would also want to see spark plugs (twice already?), brake fluid (2-3 times at least). History of repairs such as Air/Oil seperator or MAF/02 sensors are common and OK if done correctly. If the rear window is cracked - its a $1500 repair. You will spend $1500 on performance tires. At 60K miles, how's the clutch? These things matter.

Last edited by fatmike; 04-29-2009 at 04:49 PM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote