Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Browns Summit, NC
Posts: 271
'09 Engine swap

Hmmm....direct injection, 310 hp, no IMS issue...so what would be involved with swapping out my old fashioned '04 3.2 for one of those puppies?

dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St. Marys, GA
Posts: 178
Money and lots of it
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Registered User
 
vincesf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 135
My suggestion is wait until they work out the kinks, as you may be swapping one potential problem with another.
vincesf
__________________
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] vincesf[SIZE=7][COLOR=Red]
vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Depends on the day of the week....
Posts: 1,400
While I'm sure this can be done, and people will figure it out, it all comes down to the cost/ benefit equation. Also, I agree, the new motors will likely have their own issues- though, in Porsche's benefit, I doubt they'll be as severe as the IMS problems.
__________________
Boxster S
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:22 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 246
You'd be better off buying a new one

Figure it this way - $12000 for the new motor. $4000 for the new computer. $5000 for installation and engineering to make it all work. That's $21K and you would still have a car that's worth $20K and has no warranty.

Or you can buy a new S for $65K and sell your old car for $20K. Total out of pocket will be $45K and you will end up with a car with a resale value of $60K and has a 4 year 50K mile warranty.

Its hard to find an upside to the engine swap.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:35 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 998
Let me fix that for you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
Its hard to find a fiscally responsible upside to the engine swap.
It's not always about the money

(ironically from a guy with not a lot of money )
__________________
kabel

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:40 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,655
I'm so tempted to visit the dealer in Feb when these babies are in.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
Let me fix that for you:

It's not always about the money

(ironically from a guy with not a lot of money )
No, it is not always about the money. But what other upsides would there be to doing the swap?

1) Ease of transaction - the new car is easier to obtain than the development process for a new engine swap

2) Reliability - the new car is new all over not just the engine. With the swap you have a bucket of old used parts surrounding a new engine. The new car comes with a warranty.

3) Handling - the new car offers wider wheels and better suspension tuning, better brakes, more sophisticated PSM and ABS

4) Interior comfort - the new car offers more room, more comfort, better ergonomics and .... drumroll please - cup holders.

The only upside I think you can give to the swap is it will be a conversation piece and the owner can take pride in doing something different. That's of very dubious value (IMHO)

Regards,
Alan
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:35 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St. Marys, GA
Posts: 178
The thing that keeps me in my 986 and thinking about a Raby engine or egine swap is that I think the 986 is just a nicer looking car. For some reason the look of the 987 never struck a cord with me. That brings me to the best, most expensive solution of all. Rebody a new 987 with carbon fiber 986 body work. It's a win-win-lose situation. You get the best looking Boxster and it'll be lighter than a regular 987, a great interior and drivetrain and lose lots of money.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Seattle is now home!
Posts: 398
FYI I have my 3.6 for sale that has the latest version of IMS.
__________________
Everything is for sale

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #11
Porsche "Purist"
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,064
Garage
The point of using a 2009 motor is the fact that it does not have an Intermediate Shaft unlike your 3.6.
__________________
1998 Boxster with 7.8 DME, 2005 3.6 liter/325 hp, Variocam Plus, 996 Instrument panel
2001 Boxster bought new. Installed used motor at 89k.
1987 924S. 2002 996TT. PST2
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Have driven them all the way the Dr intended...
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Browns Summit, NC
Posts: 271
He gets it! Not to mention that I like the dash on my 986 better than the set up in the 987, and I spent all that money on my KW coilovers...
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St. Marys, GA
Posts: 178
How do you like the KW's
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Allen K. Littlefield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Paltz, NY 12561
Posts: 935
[QUOTE=silver arrow]The thing that keeps me in my 986 and thinking about a Raby engine or egine swap is that I think the 986 is just a nicer looking car. <<<<<<


Exactamundo! I love the look of the 986. I did add the '03/04 "facelift" side vent covers and clear lights fore & aft on my '02 gives me just what I wanted in looks. The cost of a new crate 3.2 from Porsche is as much or close to what a Raby engine would be and you have a better engine. Hope I never have to do an engine swap but if it happens I think Raby may be getting a phone call from me.

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Lil bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Du Monde
Posts: 2,199
[QUOTE=Allen K. Littlefield]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow
The thing that keeps me in my 986 and thinking about a Raby engine or egine swap is that I think the 986 is just a nicer looking car. <<<<<<


Exactamundo! I love the look of the 986. AKL
I agree, I think the 986 is the better design. If you look at cars through the years, the initial design almost always gets it right, or nearly right.

'Facelifts' are usually the product of trying to update (or contemporize) the car with the trends of that period without a total redesign. The look is 'tacked-on'. Many times, it's also just the design studio's way to justify their salaries. This process almost always 'freezes' the 'facelift' more definitely to a specific period than the initial design.

I think the vent covers is a good case-in-point. Personally, I do not like the newer ones. I feel they add an angular dimension to an otherwise 'fluid', or curving, original design.

But, think about contemporary styling of that day - everything was going 'angular' , the F-117 look - think wheels, the 'stealth' Cadillacs, Scion's, etc. In fact, Cadillac actually selected this look after their focus groups listed the most modern design as the Stealth Fighter (which was actually a crude '70's design, but not introduced to the public until the '90's by which time it had already been superceded by the much more fluid B-2).

As a design, I believe the original 986 will age much better than the later cars. In 20 years the original 986 will still look 'right' while the later cars will look more dated. But, that doesn't make it right or wrong so far as people's own personal choice is concerned.

I've also started a fund for a Raby motor. I just hope that this fund, my needs, and a Raby 'Tiptronic-friendly' motor all intersect the same point in time.
__________________
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 4 Cabriolet
1976 BMW 2002
1990 BMW 325is
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 11-25-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #16
Registered User
 
vincesf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
The point of using a 2009 motor is the fact that it does not have an Intermediate Shaft unlike your 3.6.
I'm sure the new motor, minus an Intermediate Shaft is a very fine engine; however, version 3.0 with an IMS may turn out to be more reliable than version 1.0 without an IMS.

vincesf
__________________
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] vincesf[SIZE=7][COLOR=Red]
vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St. Marys, GA
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I agree, I think the 986 is the better design. If you look at cars through the years, the initial design almost always gets it right, or nearly right.

'Facelifts' are usually the product of trying to update (or contemporize) the car with the trends of that period without a total redesign. The look is 'tacked-on'. Many times, it's also just the design studio's way to justify their salaries. This process almost always 'freezes' the 'facelift' more definitely to a specific period than the initial design.

I think the vent covers is a good case-in-point. Personally, I do not like the newer ones. I feel they add an angular dimension to an otherwise 'fluid', or curving, original design.

But, think about contemporary styling of that day - everything was going 'angular' , the F-117 look - think wheels, the 'stealth' Cadillacs, Scion's, etc. In fact, Cadillac actually selected this look after their focus groups listed the most modern design as the Stealth Fighter (which was actually a crude '70's design, but not introduced to the public until the '90's by which time it had already been superceded by the much more fluid B-2).

As a design, I believe the original 986 will age much better than the later cars. In 20 years the original 986 will still look 'right' while the later cars will look more dated. But, that doesn't make it right or wrong so far as people's own personal choice is concerned.

I've also started a fund for a Raby motor. I just hope that this fund, my needs, and a Raby 'Tiptronic-friendly' motor all intersect the same point in time.

My car should need a clutch soon, so I'm planning on trying to take a preventive approach to the engine problems. Excellence had a great article about the M96 engines and Raby rebuilds and upgrades. When I do the clutch I'm going to update to the Raby IMS if available and most recent RMS. ( I also understand that the double IMS bearings can't be replaced without taking engine apart, I don't know which my car has. It's a 2000 base Boxster. ) I'm going to do more frequent oil changes, add one of Raby's oil baffles and an oil cooler to try and extend the life of the engine. It has 62,000 on it now and I would love to get 120,000 out of it before having to do a complete rebuild.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #18
EE3racing
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
Figure it this way - $12000 for the new motor. $4000 for the new computer. $5000 for installation and engineering to make it all work. That's $21K and you would still have a car that's worth $20K and has no warranty.

Or you can buy a new S for $65K and sell your old car for $20K. Total out of pocket will be $45K and you will end up with a car with a resale value of $60K and has a 4 year 50K mile warranty.

Its hard to find an upside to the engine swap.

As the years go by this equation is likely to improve for the used Boxster owner. Accidents & mistreatment will produce a pool of donor vehicles so it's not out of the question for those among us who can't afford to buy a new one. I think the suggestions in last months Excellence for the M96 combined with a careful selection of conrods and pistons could produce a real sleeper for the older Box owner and a true performance gain for much less money than an 09 unit.

Last edited by EE3racing; 11-25-2008 at 02:35 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #19
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,292
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow
The thing that keeps me in my 986 and thinking about a Raby engine or egine swap is that I think the 986 is just a nicer looking car. For some reason the look of the 987 never struck a cord with me. That brings me to the best, most expensive solution of all. Rebody a new 987 with carbon fiber 986 body work. It's a win-win-lose situation. You get the best looking Boxster and it'll be lighter than a regular 987, a great interior and drivetrain and lose lots of money.

+ 1 on 986 looks over 987

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page