Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #1

Control Failures Boxster 2005

I'm new to world of Porsche and this forum. I bought a few days ago a Porsche Boxster model 2005 with only 20K Km on the clock. Is this a 987? This car look as new, smell as new and drive as new.

Now this morning the car control lights lit up as an Xmas tree and I read ABS and PSM failure. Further the Radio didn't work and the Airbag lights lit. As I was in a hurry I continued driving despite all mall functional safety options.

When I called the Porsche service center they told me to leave the car and they will pick it up. I should not driving it. In the manual however it says that when the ABS doesn't work you can drive the car. Should I be concerned now as I did drive it.

Anyway, I managed to get all controls out, except for the airbag(s), by opening the door with the key not using the remote. I red in the user manual something about the car shutting down to avoid the battery being drained after 2 hours or 7 days.

I already noticed when I was washing the car that the radio switch off much faster, maybe after half an hour.

Now my question, what could be the cause of all this. The previous owner replied by haven't seen this before but suspected a bad battery, as this one was three years old.

Any help will be very welcome from you.

Already thank you!

Eddy

Last edited by eddy123; 11-18-2008 at 05:30 PM.
eddy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #2

It smells like a ignition switch issue. It causes a number of electrical gremlins.
Electrical issues are likely the hardest to determine over the internet.

A digital mulitmeter will tell you if the battery or alternator is failing. If the car is starting ok then you're likely ok in this regard.

It's a 987 and it's spelled Boxster.

Keep us posted, it makes good reference for the next guy.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #3

fixed

I almost forgot to provide this thread my solution to the problem I had. I have changed only the battery (original) and all my problems were gone. What is strange, the battery wasn't in that bad condition, I could start the Porsche easily, that confused me!

Ed
eddy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #4

When my battery went on my 05 it did hesitate starting....and at one point wouldn't start....once that happened everything on the dash lit up and my spoiler even engaged....first time I'd seen it in the up position......
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:31 AM   #5

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't just the act of simply disconnecting the battery, which resets everything. I say this because you indicate that your battery wasn't truly dead and still capable of starting the car. That should be enough juice for everything to be working.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote