Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 05:22 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Colorado snowboarding suggestions?

i plan on taking a snowboarding trip to colorado for a weekend sometime in the next few months.
anyone have any suggestions/resorts and things of that nature?

DJ

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:19 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
DJ,
How do you take your snow? Gentle groomed runs, all mountain runs, pipes rails and aerials, steep and deep powder, heli drop in extreme boarding? Lots to offer in Colo.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #3

well, with Skiis i wuld go all out and nuts, since ive been skiing for 20 or so years, but i just started snowboarding, and would like to do something more than a 5 minute quick drop down these IL 'mountains' and get longer runs, nothing extreme...

Old 11-18-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
bmussatti

DJ, make sure you wear a helmet. Have fun!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #5

AWESOME!!!

Before I had kids I would go out there every year (Snowboard in winter and MTB in summer)... after doing so you'll never want to ski/snowboard around here (Chicago land/Wisconsin) again.

I suggest, depending on how many people you have, to rent a condo somewhere in either Steamboat or Breckenridge. Those are two pretty inexpensive places that have a cool scene/nightlife/restaurants, You can rent condos at, or near the base lifts for pretty cheap if you have a group. Otherwise you can stay at a resort. I've always preferred a condo. Call some booking agents out there and see what they have for packages. There are busses that run all day and into the night as well from the resorts, condos to the downtowns. You basically can park for the week/weekend and just hoof it and/or ride the buses everywhere.
There are lift packages that include night passes for Keystone as well... look into those for added value!

My suggestions... Don't do too much the first day because you'll have to acclimate. You'll get winded by just walking a block or up the stairs etc. Drink LOTS of water. You'll dehydrate fast since the air is dry and thin. Bring lotion.
Definitely hang wet towels in the bath for moisture and use a humidifier if they have one (they should). Did I mention the air is really dry? haha. Your lips will chap simply from sleeping if there's not enough moisture.

Use two way radios for communication with friends, use a helmet, chapstick goggles and maybe sun block with zinc. Good gloves/equipment etc.

You can also rent the top-of-the-line equipment for a reasonable price if you do not feel like lugging your stuff or if you have old stuff.

I know there's more, but that's the best I can do off the top of my head. If you go to Steamboat you can go to the Hot springs as well.
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 AM   #6

I enjoyed going to Aspen when I tried to pick snowboarding back up. They have a mountain dedicated to easier slopes. And when my knees finally took too much of a beating, I put my skis back on and went to a harder hill. Thats my 2 cents

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #7

Keystone at night is the perfect place to learn to snowboard. You can take a gondola up and walk off of it with snowboard in hand. That way you don't have to worry about boarding right off a chair and falling etc... Also at night there are hardly any people out so you have room.
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Dj,

bmx672 is on it. I have family in Breckenridge so I know it best, but Keystone and Steamboat also have a lot to offer. A little of everything at these resorts with some of the lightest waist deep powder on the planet. Condo's should be dirt cheap this year. Have a great trip!

Here is the trail map for Breck:
http://breckenridge.snow.com/media/swf/trailmap/trailmap0708.asp

Last edited by Topless; 11-18-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #9

Don't forget my favorite, A-Basin, for excellent high-mountain intermediate and advanced terrain! The eastern wall (extreme skiing only) is at 13,050 feet, higher than any other ski terrain in North America. The blue and black runs top out around 12,400 feet and have amazing views across the mountain range. A-Basin is in Summit County, ten minutes east of Keystone on Highway 6.

http://www.arapahoebasin.com
Old 11-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #10

I escaped from Rockford, IL to Colorado in 1992 and I highly recommend an extended stay - like forever.
If I was coming out here for a long weekend, I'd stay in Breckenridge and hit, Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper Mountain and Vail - maybe even Arapahoe Basin and Loveland depending on where the best snow is at the time . They are all relatively close to each other.
Breckenridge has one of the best terrain parks for boarders, but nothing beats Vail for huge terrain and the back bowls. Copper Mountain is also very good and is generally a little less expensive.
The reason I'd stay in Breckenridge is because the town has a lot more to do in the evening, with lots of bars and restaurants and you may be able to walk to a good spot instead of having to drive.

Have a great time out here, but don't come too early. It was 80 degrees in Denver today and there is almost no natural snow in the mountains yet this year, so the early season is going to suck. I guess no matter how bad the conditions are they would still beat Alpine Valley or Devils Head ;-).

Another great thrill out here is when you bring your Boxster out in the summer and enjoy roads that were made for that car.

Dave S.
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #11

If you are interested we have a house in VT. Can't wait till the season starts. VT. doesn't compare to out west but we have a real good time there. Our home is right by Okemo ski resort and Killington. I have been up to Hilltop and alyeska in alaska. I have never seen powder like that before. Sorry to hijack the post, I just can't wait to hit the trails.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #12

I moved to Colorado from Illinois in 1987. I think a new snowboarder would enjoy what I call the "real" Colorado ski towns. These are cities that existed before the big ski resorts were built. As has been mentioned: Breckenridge, Steamboat, Aspen, are all great. Aspen is a bit difficult for boarders - especially non experts. Copper Mountain is good for beginners because it has three mountains, one for green runs, one for intermediate, and one for "expert". You tend to be going downhill with folks at your same level. If you can base your stay at Breck, Keystone, or Copper, you can ski (board) them all as they are all within about 20 minutes drive from one another. Have fun! WE NEED SNOW!! Took the Box to work today with the top down - Nov. 18th!!? Global warming?
Old 01-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #13

couldnt find the thread again grrr

BUT, looks like im gonna b there from the 15th and come back on a sunday.
got a few days of practice and boarding here in Chestnut mountain in Galena so cant wait ti hit bigger slopes.
actually on xmass day (since my xmass is the 7th) it was just me and a few buddies and whole mountin to ourselves, it was greatttt.

it totally sux tho, couse im used to skiing BIG mountains growing up in serbia and bosnia, and enjoying the olympic mountains

I am actually lookig and talking with my cousin that is visiting from Zurich about moving and living/working there, so that will b a great change of life w Alps all around (wish me luck)

anyways, will anyone b out in the slopes on those days? or any good recommendations for cheap stay from friday to sunday?

thx again guyzz

Old 01-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #14

The best place to look for lodging is www.vrbo.com use it regularly and love it.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #15

For lodging, I'd suggest to Google "Summit County Chamber of Commerce". You'll get several sites that have links to hotel and resort information. I'm thinking the cheapest place to stay will be some place in Frisco or Dillon like the Super 8 Motel in Dillon for about $106 per night. You can find a place at a resort for 2 to 6 times more than that.
Reservations are down out here, so you might be able to negotiate a better deal by calling places directly. There are hundreds of places to choose from.
Dave S.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:01 AM   #16

thx for the infor guys.
$100 bux or so a night sounds pretty good (wonder if thats for 2 beds)

2 more weeks or so, im excited, but my ankle is starting to show some pain in last 2-3 days, SOB, but i hop it will b good till then

Old 01-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
thx for the infor guys.
$100 buck or so a night sounds pretty good (wonder if thats for 2 beds)

2 more weeks or so, I'm excited, but my ankle is starting to show some pain in last 2-3 days, SOB, but i hop it will b good till then

Djomlas,

I see a couple of posts about Keystone, since I was there last year I have to admit it's first rate. You can get package deals where you can ski multiple resorts in the area (Breckenridge and Vail). This is Keystones site, http://keystone.snow.com/Home/Lodging.aspx , I see they have $100 a night stays...just what your looking for. The family and I stayed in a condo in Lakeside Village. I'd suggest staying in River Run or Mountain Village because the area is so quaint that you'll feel like your in Europe. With the economy they're really making deals to bring in the tourists and the weather is spot on for hitting the slopes.

Your going to have a great time.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 01-02-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #18

I spent the xmas holiday in the Breckenridge area. My parents live there so lodging is free We primarily cross country ski in the backcountry but I always fit in a day or two of downhill. This was our first time to ski Breck and I had a generally positive experience. Positives: there is a lot of skiable terrain and the bowls look fun though we did not make it there. Negatives: Blue runs seemed to be easier than at Copper and A-Basin and I found it took too long traversing from one mountain to the next. Lodges are the bottom of Peak 7 are under construction as of 12/2008 so you have to trasfer to Peak 8 to get lunch or take a break. The lack of mid-mountain lifts funnels all traffic to the bottom and those lift lines get really crowded. My observation over the years is that being able to stay on the upper half of the mountain, such as at Copper, helps to avoid long lines at the base. More runs for one's dollar.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #19

If you don't end up buying a package deal that includes lodging and lift tickets, you can buy discounted lift tickets at Denver area King Sooper grocery stores before you head up to the mountains.

Check out this site for a few ideas:
http://greatadventuresports.com/page.cfm?pageID=621

Dave S.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #20

I think we just may end up at Keystone.

Quick question tho, as far as flights from Ohare, is the closest one to there Aspen airport? or is there something closer?