View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
bmx672

AWESOME!!!

Before I had kids I would go out there every year (Snowboard in winter and MTB in summer)... after doing so you'll never want to ski/snowboard around here (Chicago land/Wisconsin) again.

I suggest, depending on how many people you have, to rent a condo somewhere in either Steamboat or Breckenridge. Those are two pretty inexpensive places that have a cool scene/nightlife/restaurants, You can rent condos at, or near the base lifts for pretty cheap if you have a group. Otherwise you can stay at a resort. I've always preferred a condo. Call some booking agents out there and see what they have for packages. There are busses that run all day and into the night as well from the resorts, condos to the downtowns. You basically can park for the week/weekend and just hoof it and/or ride the buses everywhere.
There are lift packages that include night passes for Keystone as well... look into those for added value!

My suggestions... Don't do too much the first day because you'll have to acclimate. You'll get winded by just walking a block or up the stairs etc. Drink LOTS of water. You'll dehydrate fast since the air is dry and thin. Bring lotion.
Definitely hang wet towels in the bath for moisture and use a humidifier if they have one (they should). Did I mention the air is really dry? haha. Your lips will chap simply from sleeping if there's not enough moisture.

Use two way radios for communication with friends, use a helmet, chapstick goggles and maybe sun block with zinc. Good gloves/equipment etc.

You can also rent the top-of-the-line equipment for a reasonable price if you do not feel like lugging your stuff or if you have old stuff.

I know there's more, but that's the best I can do off the top of my head. If you go to Steamboat you can go to the Hot springs as well.
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote