Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 04:23 AM   #1

Replacement Engines

My 2000 base Boxster is running fine, but at 82K I would like to know my engine options should it kick. I would love to get a trick rebuilt unit from Flat-6-Innovations, but price is likely to be a limiting factor.

I am interested in finding out what new engines cost, or at least what they would cost the independent shop that would do the swap. Also, how do we know if the prices that are quoted for "new" engines are rebuilt or truely new? I am interested in 3.2L, 3.4L and 3.6L prices.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:57 AM   #2

Try reading this

as it covers most options I know of for replacing or rebuilding an engine and gives prices.

Link
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #3

Thanks Mike, that link has a lot of useful infomation. I was also interested in actual prices for each of the three engines (3.2, 3.4, 3.6L) and if there was a way to tell if a "new" engine that somebody ordered today was remanufactured or actually new. I understand that there is not that much of a difference in the price of the different displacements, but I am curious as to what the difference is. BTW, hopefully this is information I will not be needing to use for quite a few years......

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
Old 11-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #4

Porsche factory reman engines are marked with something, I believe "AT" in the serial number.

Based on what I have researched, I would not want a factory reman engine.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #5

My car had a remanufactured engine put in it a week before I bought it... unknown to the seller (a wholesale ebay flipper) or me, the buyer (who didn't do a PPI... yeah, I know).

I have beat the hell out of my motor for 30k now and it's been great.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
Porsche factory reman engines are marked with something, I believe "AT" in the serial number.

Especially true after reading the article and comments posted by Jake Raby of www.flat6innovations.com. Why spend good money on another engine that's going to have the same problems as the one that just broke?

There have been some great discussions on this topic since Jim Pasha's tech article appeared in the Dec Excellence. I highly recommend you get a copy and have a look at some of the recent postings.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #7

"Especially true after reading the article and comments posted by Jake Raby of www.flat6innovations.com. Why spend good money on another engine that's going to have the same problems as the one that just broke?"

I know, good point, I have been following the discussion about Jake's engine rebuild program with great interest. Like most, I am very glad that he is providing us with an option. I would love to get one of his 3.6L performance engines, but am not sure how I could come up witht 17K+ it would cost, thats a lot of money for this camper....

Ed

Old 11-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750

My 3.6 is a factory reman and it's serial number has the "AT".

M96/03 AT6656xxxx

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote