986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Replacement Engines (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/18789-replacement-engines.html)

edevlin 11-13-2008 04:23 AM

Replacement Engines

My 2000 base Boxster is running fine, but at 82K I would like to know my engine options should it kick. I would love to get a trick rebuilt unit from Flat-6-Innovations, but price is likely to be a limiting factor.

I am interested in finding out what new engines cost, or at least what they would cost the independent shop that would do the swap. Also, how do we know if the prices that are quoted for "new" engines are rebuilt or truely new? I am interested in 3.2L, 3.4L and 3.6L prices.

Ed

:cheers:

mikefocke 11-13-2008 05:57 AM

Try reading this

as it covers most options I know of for replacing or rebuilding an engine and gives prices.

Link

edevlin 11-13-2008 10:48 AM

Thanks Mike, that link has a lot of useful infomation. I was also interested in actual prices for each of the three engines (3.2, 3.4, 3.6L) and if there was a way to tell if a "new" engine that somebody ordered today was remanufactured or actually new. I understand that there is not that much of a difference in the price of the different displacements, but I am curious as to what the difference is. BTW, hopefully this is information I will not be needing to use for quite a few years......

Ed

Cloudsurfer 11-13-2008 01:19 PM

Porsche factory reman engines are marked with something, I believe "AT" in the serial number.

Based on what I have researched, I would not want a factory reman engine.

RandallNeighbour 11-13-2008 01:39 PM

My car had a remanufactured engine put in it a week before I bought it... unknown to the seller (a wholesale ebay flipper) or me, the buyer (who didn't do a PPI... yeah, I know).

I have beat the hell out of my motor for 30k now and it's been great.

jmatta 11-13-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm750
Porsche factory reman engines are marked with something, I believe "AT" in the serial number.

Especially true after reading the article and comments posted by Jake Raby of www.flat6innovations.com. Why spend good money on another engine that's going to have the same problems as the one that just broke?

There have been some great discussions on this topic since Jim Pasha's tech article appeared in the Dec Excellence. I highly recommend you get a copy and have a look at some of the recent postings.

edevlin 11-13-2008 05:05 PM

"Especially true after reading the article and comments posted by Jake Raby of www.flat6innovations.com. Why spend good money on another engine that's going to have the same problems as the one that just broke?"

I know, good point, I have been following the discussion about Jake's engine rebuild program with great interest. Like most, I am very glad that he is providing us with an option. I would love to get one of his 3.6L performance engines, but am not sure how I could come up witht 17K+ it would cost, thats a lot of money for this camper....

Ed

Paul 11-14-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm750

My 3.6 is a factory reman and it's serial number has the "AT".

M96/03 AT6656xxxx