Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 04:48 AM   #1

Short Shift Question

Thinking about getting the B&M Short Shift installed in my 2000 Boxster. If any of you have had this installed, I wanted to find our your experience.

What do you like about it?
What don't you like about it?
If you had to do it again, would you get it installed?

Thanks, Eric

E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:24 AM   #2

I have the B&M sort shift in my '02 Box S. I installed it myself, as it's pretty simple; you just need to be very accurate when R&R the shift cables. It was more of a pain removing the console than installing the shifter. As far as preference, the B&M is a big improvement over the stock throw. It is short, requires a bit more force and is a bit notchy, but that is my preference. When I drive 986s and 996s with the standard shifter, I can't believe how long and vague the throw feels.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Kaplan
Thinking about getting the B&M Short Shift installed in my 2000 Boxster. If any of you have had this installed, I wanted to find our your experience.

What do you like about it?
What don't you like about it?
If you had to do it again, would you get it installed?

Thanks, Eric
As Nike used to say.... JUST DO IT!

Like everything about it.
Don't dislike it at all.
Absolutely yes, I would install again.

I too was hesitant b/c of all the static out there regarding notchy, harder to shift, etc. Is it notchy? No, I'd describe it more along the lines of being precise. Does it take a little more effort. Yes but I would say it's the same increased effort required to cut thru butter from the fridge (B&M) vs butter at room temperature (OEM shifter). It's not like going from butter at room temp to butter from the freezer. Sorry guys, butter is the only comparison I could think of quickly - must have been the omelets I made everyone for breakfast . If it's overly notchy, you either have the end bushings too tight or you don't have the shift cables aligned properly (not hard to adjust either). Lots of instructions floating around here in the general forum and the DIY forum.

I'm not sure where you're buying it but I know bumperplugs.com has it on sale right now for $179 IIRC.

Go for it! Enjoy
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:00 PM   #4

Just do it

I was hesitant at first too but I did it.

Yes it is not as smooth as the stock but its way shorter. I think my gf wouldnt be able to comfortably shift it but maybe its a good thing I dont let her drive my car. so for a man its perfect. the only thing I dont like is when I shift to the top row gears like 1,3,5 it feels like its hitting somthing, so i dont know if that because of the cables or what. all I know is that it is kinda cumbersome to take out the console, especialy if its carbon or painted cuz you dont want to scratch it.

verdict: it will change the feel of your car, make your shift faster, and accelerate faster as a result. I got mine for 200 bucks new. also there are 2 applications. my friend has a different B&M setup and its nicer I think.
Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:11 AM   #5

I was looking at doing the B&M kit at first, but after doing a lot of research on this forum, I'm now sold on the 997 shift console upgrade. It's less expensive, and people seem to like it better... now on my Christmas list . Have you looked into this as a possible option?
dja1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #6

i think i am also leaning toward the 997 kit.

if i understand it correctly, this is the entire assembly...so if you have a higher mileage car, and teh shifter feels a bit loose/sloppy - this part will repalce more of the interior parts so that it will sort of "feel new" again???

i thought he B&M was just some parts, and it would not make it feel as "new"
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #7

The 997 assembly is still much longer than the B&M. If installed properly, the B&M is a nice modification.

Every time I drive my friend's 997 S I still get in my car and notice the big imrovement.

The problems arise because the unitiated try to install and mess it up.

Last edited by jmatta; 11-10-2008 at 12:11 PM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta

The problems arise because the unitiated try to install and mess it up.
No, that's not the problem at all. Several of us have tried both and prefer the action and feel of the 997 part.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #9

Hi -

Not looking to Hijack but after much thought and debate, I'm looking to get rid of my Schnell Short Shift Kit..

Brand new never installed. Why, well my wife started driving the boxster and is finally used to it. I don't want the constant nagging that will come from her if it gets a little harder to shift. I just don't want to hear about it even one time. I think it was 159 or so...I'd sell for 100 plus shipping.

If I was the only one driving the car, I would have put it in, and if it sucked, I could only be disappointed in myself, and that happens often
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #10

Here's a bit more reading... if you haven't already seen this:

Short Shift Kit Advice?

Quoted from the thread linked to above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown

Worthwile options seem to be:

B&M / knockoff SS in stock 986 housing $50 - $200 (short but notchy)
997 stock assembly $160 (Smooth & slightly shorter than stock, easy to install)
997 SS assembly $??? (can't find prices)
997 stock assembly w/ Evo extension $360 (short & smooth)
dja1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #11

Schnell short shift

I had a Schnell short shifter installed in my 99 boxster. It's not that much shorter than stock, and I don't notice any more effort. It is more precise; there's less slop than the old one. I recommend it.
ehanauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #12

thanks all for the suggestions.
I didn't know about the 997 shift console upgrade. I think that would be the best bet for me.
I'm going to Suncoast next week to get my rear lights deambered. I think I will have the 997 upgrade on the same day.

Eric
Old 11-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
Hi -

Not looking to Hijack but after much thought and debate, I'm looking to get rid of my Schnell Short Shift Kit..

Brand new never installed. Why, well my wife started driving the boxster and is finally used to it. I don't want the constant nagging that will come from her if it gets a little harder to shift. I just don't want to hear about it even one time. I think it was 159 or so...I'd sell for 100 plus shipping.

If I was the only one driving the car, I would have put it in, and if it sucked, I could only be disappointed in myself, and that happens often
My wife hasn't driven my Boxster since I installed the short shift kit. She hasn't even tried to drive it. For some reason the term "short shift" worries her. Works for me.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Kaplan
I'm going to Suncoast next week to get my rear lights deambered. I think I will have the 997 upgrade on the same day.Eric
I think you'll want them to quote the part for you first. Then let them quote the install

The install, especially when doing the 997 shifter assembly, is extremely DIYable. It'll take you 15-20 min to get the console out, 10-15min to install new shifter assembly and 15 min to reinstall console. Looks complicated but when dropping in an entire new assembly (as the 997 shifter is) it's very easy. No cutting involved, just remove the 2 shift cables, unbolt the assembly (4 bolts IIRC), bolt new in, reconnect shift cables.

There are a # of local enthusiasts in S FL who would be willing to help you DIY or do it for you - for much less than a dealer...

Old 11-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #15

Thanks for the information. I'll let them know how long it should take them. I hear good things about Suncoast, compared to Tampa Porsche. They have a reputation of being fair about the time it should take. I'll find out and let you know.

Eric
Old 11-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #16

Suncoast is a good dealer and they do sell parts less expensively than most other dealers (except Sunset in OR). I've purchased from them a number of times and service is great. I'd definitely give them a shot at pricing the install reasonably. I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised by their quote. Know however they'll most likely not acknowledge the times I've given you above as dealers (I'm sure as a matter of S&P) reference the P repair manuals for time units suggested...

Let us know what you come up with and good luck
Old 11-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #17

Schnell SS

I got a schnell SS Kit installed this past weekend and BIG difference!!! I love it!!! Yeah, it is a little bit harder to shift at the beginning, but after a while you get used to it. I recommend it!!! Much better than stock
francars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #18

Called Suncoast today. They quoted me $150.00 to install the 997 shift assembly and a new shift knob. I know it is a bit on the expensive side, but I'd rather pay them to do the work without the headaches of me messing up my car.

Thanks for all your help.

Eric
Old 11-19-2008, 12:03 PM   #19

I got the 997 shift assembly installed today. I am very pleased! The shifting is easily an inch or more shorter and very smooth. No extra effort. It almost feels like I'm driving a new car. Well worth the cost.

Eric