Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #1

annoyances?

What are the things that you don't like about your boxsters?

germanauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #2

It doesn't clean itself.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:12 PM   #3

IMS failures.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:25 PM   #4
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Sunvisor that cannot be moved to the side windows.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I don't have any big problems with my Boxster that wouldn't be an issue with any other car. The visors not moving is annoying, repairs can be expensive (but you new that when you bought it), but the pro's are far better.
Easy to DIY, great handling, great style, etc.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #6

The built-in inaccuracy of the speedometer. Argh!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #7

I don't find the seats all that comfortable on 3+ hour rides. Its not enough to detract from all the positives but I do find it something to think about.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #8

The general feeling that the electronics have a mind of their own.

When I pull out the key, various things stay on. Interior lights are one thing but the radio power switch stays and dash panels stay illuminated for awhile. The CD player starts up to check if a CD is there after the key has been removed.

If the windows are DOWN and I open the door they come up slightly and then when I close it they go all the way down. Why?

All the electronic systems seem both over-engineered and fragile at the same time. They do not inspire confidence and I feel that they could let me down anytime.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
^ That sounds like an ignition switch problem.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:39 AM   #10

Mine seems to need another 80 to 100 hp.....

Mostly stock... except for all the things that are changed.
www.dexterautosport.com

http://www.pbase.com/image/89146172.jpg
mdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
FTD

The seating is for people taller than I. Especially the length of the bottom cushion - If I sit back in the seat my knees bend before the front edge, which doesn't take long to feel crummy. And if I slouch to get my knees on the edge of the seat, then I am even lower and and I have to be in hyper drive on the visibility issues. I am usually slouching. It feels comfortable enough, but I can't see.

And the steering wheel can't be tilted down. It is slightly higher than the horizontal lines on the dash, and that bugs me aesthetically. Plus I wouldn't mind seeing how it felt lowered.

I don't like the new front pads I just put in. Big Bummer.

My local PCA doesn't have enough autocross days. Two in the spring and two in the fall, unless you did the whole 3 day labor day thing, then that would have made 5 for the year.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #12

Fear of the engine blowing, especially with all the threads lately. But really, my car has been very dependable. I have put about 40K on it in the little over two years I have had it, and I have not had any problems that were not a result of me messing around with modding the car. I continue to be struck by how responsive the car is and how much fun it is to drive.

Oh, wait, I have the 2000 boxster, it has to be the plastic rear window, especially with the GT3 seats in the car, it is a bit of a chore to get out, chop the back and then lower myself back in. BTW, loving the GT3 seats, took a 3-hour trip to the mountains with the wife and no complaints....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:45 AM   #13

Hey Medex!

I really like your sig pic
Old 10-27-2008, 12:23 PM   #14

Porsche's cheap, plastic parts used throughout the car is my largest gripe, followed closely by their inability to create a lower control arm with a ball joint that is worth a crap.

However, when total strangers pull up next to me and say, "Man I love that car" it seems to make all the things I don't like about the car fade away. That happened again on Sunday morning headed to church.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #15
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
All minor annoyances, but here are a few nonetheless:

The inability to pop open the front trunk with the remote. My car is a 2000. I believe this feature was added in 2001.

The rusting lug bolts. I've never seen another car of any cost where this happens so quickly. After refinishing the OE lugs a couple of times I replaced them with new stainless steel lug bolts.

Crappy stereo. I added the PNP rear speaker kit and 6-channel amp which helps a little. I was in a cheap rental car last week and the stereo was great.

The windshield seems to get pitted faster than glass on other cars.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #16

How much are repairs and what are the most common ones? How frequently do they happen.
germanauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #17
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It depends. The repairs cost more than your average car, but are similar to any other imported car, like BMW or Mercedes. The most common repairs are replacing the seat belt buckles (when they trigger the airbag light), ignition switch going bad, things like that.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #18

The only two things I find annoying is blasting from 0-speed limit and finding a Hyundai hatchback keeping up in your shadow, the car can really do with another 50-100 hp (S model, I know >_<).

The other thing I find annoying is the really dark interior, especially with the black leathers and plastics it can make the cabin feel a bit cramped.

Not enough to put me off the car, I plan to have this beauty quite a few years. It breaks down yes, but that is to be expected it is definitely not a Honda Civic.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:04 AM   #19

Why is everyone complaining about power?

I drove 220 miles on the highway on the weekend and the meter hadn't even touch the half mark. I'm laughing my way to the gas station.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #20

Garage
Reading through this thread makes me realize Porsche has been steadily addressing these issues, and continuously refining the model over the years.

I'm not rubbing in ownership of a late model, but I have to say my 2008 model has "fixes" for the issues listed, and is darn near close to perfection for my expectations.

The one annoyance I had was easily addressed: added a OEM iPod/Aux connection in the center console. Now I listen to GB's of MP3s while cruising.