Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
mj1

cold start engine noise

Hello every one I'm a newbie on this site. I have a 2000 Boxster that I bought new. It only has 90000 miles on to date. I change the oil every year if it needs or not. usually about a 1000 miles on the oil Mobil 1 only. With all the talk of engines coming apart I have a question for all of you who have had problems or any one who has owned a 2.7 Boxster . When I start the motor cold it sounds like all the lifters have collapsed or a tension er maybe. Only for about one second then all is fine. Is this normal or should I be worried? I have not had one issue with this car but it only has 9000 miles Thanks Mark

mj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #2

Sounds normal to have a little valve ticking on start up, mine doe it for about 1-2 seconds.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
mj1

Thanks I'm sorry I wrote that my 2000 986 had 90000 miles on it but it only has 9000 miles on it.
mj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #4

As even less than high stressed modern engines use more and more exotic metals and ceramics we'll find them to be noisy when cold. All of these materials have different expansion factors and are engineered to have proper clearance at operating temps, not start up temp. My Mazda CX7 has the new low pressure turbocharged/intercooled 2.3 four with six speed tiptronic style auto. It is quite noisy on cold start, but quiets nicely in about two minutes.
My 987 also has some valve train clearance when stone cold, but smooths nicely by the time the cold start high idle drops to normal idle speed.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:12 AM   #5

Try keeping clutch depressed for 6-9 secs before starting.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:16 AM   #6

Quote:

"Try keeping clutch depressed for 6-9 secs before starting."

Posted by jotoole.

What's that do??
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:34 AM   #7

Mj1,
My 2001 S has 11,000 miles and I noticed that when it sits for a long time (over the winter) the lifters also make noise. When I changed the oil and it went away immediately. I'm wondering if going 1 year is too long (regardless of the mileage) and the oil channels get clogged (just a theory)... Try changing your oil now. I'm assuming that you're using Mobil 1 0W40. Otherwise it's a bit normal.

-Steve
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #8

Hydraulic clutch component seals need fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Quote:

"Try keeping clutch depressed for 6-9 secs before starting."

Posted by jotoole.

What's that do??
This is an 8 yr car w/very low miles. Pressurize hydro fluid for a short time before starting and the hydraulic seals might just "liven" enough to seal. Been there, done that, and it worked for me. Worth a try.

Re: a "Frodo," what's that do ??

jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote