Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #41
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

ummm...who's noone?

Old 01-09-2005, 03:52 PM   #42

"Like either car is without some faults"

This is so true and in our society, one is not forced to drive a certain car. One can sell that car and get the car of his dreams.

Isn't America great that way?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:59 PM   #43

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Exactly, brucelee...I choose what to like and dislike based on my own opinions...I'm not going to try to convince everyone around me that my opinion is "true."

And Another S in S, I'd love to get my hands on the statistics that you have as absolute proof that X number of S owners buy the SS and Y number of base owners buy it.

I don't care.

Nobody here cares (I gather).

I appreciate your opinion, but come on, stop attacking people who put up other ideas...you don't like the S's shifter. That's cool-allow others to like it or not depending on their experience.

Personally I don't like the color "periwinkle."

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:00 PM   #44

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
That being said, though, the ability to have arguments and trade ideas is part of what allows us to learn so much and think about our cars a little more deeply.

But when a horse is dead, there's no use beating it.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #45

"Personally I don't like the color "periwinkle.""

Me either!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:12 PM   #46
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

Was that colour named for the guy who discovered it? Is Another S in S's S that colour? Maybe THATS why he's so bummed out but has sublimated it onto his shifter...or maybe it's not Perry Winkle's fault at all. Though that is a silly name...for anything. (and if you're reading this Mr. Winkle, sorry, it's nothing personal...)
Old 01-10-2005, 11:24 PM   #47

I am not going to read all the messages.

When I started Boxstering almost 6 years ago the S did not exist. When it came out there were questions about why it had the same gear ratios as the 996 which has the same basic transmission and ratios but more torque. Another S in S is merely repeating what others have questioned long before he started Boxstering.

I have put in at least 30 B&Ms over the years, and before the B&M came out it was the EVO short shift. It is about even between the base Boxster and the S. I test drive the cars to make sure it shifts properly. The B&M does the exact same thing on the base as on the S - shortens the shift throws. It does not improve anything other than that.

The 986 S transmission is made by Getrag. It is said the 987 S transmission is made by Aisin, as is the 997 and 997 S transmissions. The Aisin transmission shifts differently and has a shorter throw because it is not a Getrag and the standard shift lever has changed.

I have the tech intro booklets for the 997/997 S with the gear ratios. My mechanic friend went to 987 school last week and I asked him to get me the 987 tech intro booklet if they had it. If he was able to get me a copy I will compare the ratios.

The 997/997 S has a 15% reduction in the shift throws because the pivot point of the shift lever has been raised - this is exactly how a B&M works. Having shorter shift throws can increase the syncro wear. The Aisin transmission compensates for this. The Getrag has a single syncro on each gear. The Aisin has 3 on 1st and 2nd, 2 on 3rd, and 1 on 4th-6th. Syncros usually wear out faster in the lower gears, so it makes sense what Aisin did.

The gear ratios on the 997/997 S Aisin have changed from the Getrag due to the simple fact the diameter of the tires have been increased by 5%.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote