View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 04:45 PM   #16
Another S in S

Quote:
Originally posted by Perfectlap
nope, I wouldn't say anything negative of the 6 speed other than its a bit rigid and you've got to drive it properly. Having come off the Miata I noticed I had picked up a few bad habits that I would need to correct straight away. I found the solid feel of the gates to be tremendous and with propers throttle the car can behave as smooth as Mercedez with it highly sophisiticated automatic transmission. Look if its good enough for the 996, one of the absolute best sports cars ever made (but far from from perfect) then its good enough for me not being one of the greatest drivers ever made.

by the way on the S:
Excellence recently did a survey of Porsche experts asking them to submit their favourite convertible Porsches. One of the invited experts said his top two were the Carrera GT ($500,000)
the Boxster S($55,000) "The best handling cars Porsche has on offer....The Boxster S delivers all that the Boxster promises".
Ahem, that survey also included the base Boxster. It was for the Boxster/S, i.e. base Boxster and the 'S'. Just in terms of handling, unless the 'S' has the 030 option, the base will handle better simply by virtue of its lighter weight.

Speaking of Excellence magazine, the only other car magazine I trust when it comes to Porsches, they had this to say from a few years ago comparing the base 2.7L vs. the 'S':

"And with the base car's slightly longer gear spacing, you're less likely to shift up to third while driving from light to light - which makes it a bit easier to drive around town. So in an urban environment, the base car may be a better pick than the Boxster S, ..."

Indeed, they picked the base as the better buy than the 'S'.
Another S in S is offline   Reply With Quote