Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #21

I think simply the vast number of people out there running non-N rated tires proves there's little point to them (N-rated), especially if you pay a premium to get them.

If people were going through wheel bearings, or having excessive accidents or deaths on non-N tires, some credence might be given to the N ratings, but they're not.

Porsche may very well test the tires, whether or not the tire design is improved based on this testing remains a mystery.

Some Mfrs. have worked with Tire Cos. to produce a specific tire and then engineer the car's suspension and handling around that tire such as Ferrari and Mercedes to name a couple. In these cases, sticking with the spec'd tire probably results in the best overall ride and handling. But, since there are several OEM tires available for the porsche, and several more N-rated tires out there, it's not likely this is the case with the 986/996, 987/997.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 09-25-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #22
cartagena

I bought a pair of Yokohamas in July. I drive fast. They work fine.

Here is thread: Putting a Tube in the Tire?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I think simply the vast number of people out there running non-N rated tires proves there's little point to them (N-rated), especially if you pay a premium to get them.

If people were going through wheel bearings, or having excessive accidents or deaths on non-N tires, some credence might be given to the N ratings, but they're not.
I agree partly. If the N-rating means that the tire meets performance criteria that Porsche decreed "good", but the non-N tires don't perform in the same manner, that's not something you're going to be able to tell just by putting on the non-N-rated tires and saying "hey, my car didn't flip, all good!"
Old 10-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #24

Bought the tires

Hi Everyone,
I ordered my tires today. I settled with the Bridgestone RE050A N0 and replacing both front and back. With all my extensive search for the last week, I purchased them through here They were the cheapest for tires and had road hazard warranty for $16 per tire. No sales tax since they are shipping from New York to CA. When I get them, I will let you know how it turned out.

Thanks for all your help.
n4ally2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:35 AM   #25
bmussatti

n4ally2, I briefly drove a Cayman S this summer with those tires on 19" wheels, and thought they were excellent. I did the clover-leaf on route 53 and Paletine Road about 24 times as the test track!

Are you sure they are the "Porsche N0" version? I did not see that on your link. Tire Rack sells this tire (N0 version) for $275 each (rears).... a few dollars less than your price. Granted, the road hazard warranty was more. So net/net you received a better total price.

Who will do the install?

Make sure you take photos (with the daily newspaper) to document your wheel condition prior to the tires being mounted, to protect yourself if the wheels are damaged during the process.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #26

bmussatti,

Thanks for the info. I called up the place and placed my order with a sale person and I asked specifically for N0 tires. I sent the tires to a local garage, which was recommended by a few forum members in my local area. I didn't buy them from tire rack because when I tried to place the order with them, they told me all 4 tires were on back order and it will take 6-8 weeks to get them. So I went with performance tires since they had them all in stock. The garage got them last week, installed them, unfortunately, performance tires sent me the wrong rear tires, not N0 and with wrong rating, W verses Y. So I had to call them and they are now shipping me the right tires. Therefore, I would say my experience with performance tire is okay. It would have been good if they sent me all the right tires in the first place.

Thanks for the tip on the photos. I am going to do that when I get my rear tires.

BTW, I notice that the thread on the RE050A is not as deep as the PS2. So when I get the rear tires. I will give my feedback on the handling.

n4ally2 is offline   Reply With Quote