Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 08:03 PM   #1

Cut on a tire - replace or wait

I have a 2 questions concerning my tires on my 2006 boxster. I purchased my car new from the dealership. I just looked through my paperwork and I realized that I didn't get any warranty papers for my tires.

So question number 1 is: Do the tires come with warranty? If so, what does the warranty covered?

I was in a hurry today and was a bit careless. I backed up to a curb and the curb cut into the side of my rear right tire. The cut starts close from the 19" rim and runs about 1 inch down. The cut is about 1/4" to 1/2" in deep (see pics below). I know there is no air leak because I sprayed it with some soapy water and there were no bubbles forming. However, I am quite worry that the tire will "pop" during my daily drive to work, which is 25 miles from my home. I know that my tires still have about a 3K life on them.

Therefore, my second question: Should I replace the tires now or wait?

Thanks for your help!

n4ally2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #2

Tires have a warranty, but against Mfr. defects, so you wouldn't be covered.

You cannot repair the tire with the damage in your pics and I wouldn't drive on it personally, so replacement is your best option.

I'd replace the pair on that axle at least and save the other tire in case this happens again.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:42 AM   #3
bmussatti

How many miles do you have on the tires? Are they Pilot Sports or PS2's?

Pilot Sports are no longer available in your size. And PS2's in your size are on backorder at Tire Rack.

Those tires are about $390 each.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:33 AM   #4

For what it's worth I did exactly the same thing and ended up replacing a brand new tire. It may be okay but then again maybe not, and a high speed blowout is no way to find out.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:45 AM   #5

Sidewall damage usually causes a bubble to form and eventually blow out the tire.

Replace the pair since you mention there are only 3k miles left on them.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:00 AM   #6
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Replace the pair since you mention there are only 3k miles left on them.

OK, I missed this part.

You may need to replace all 4 tires, if they are Pilot Sports. Michellin no longer makes the Pilot Sports in that size. They are replaced by the PS2's. All 4 tires should be matched.

Your alignment should be a concern too after a wack like that.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 AM   #7

No question at all, that tire has to be replaced. Personally, I wouldn't drive it any further than to the tire store. If you've only got 3K left on your set, it's time for all four. If the price is an issue with Pilots, there are a number of cheaper alternatives that are fine for 99% of street use (e.g. Nexen N3000's).
Old 09-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #8

thanks

Thanks for all your input. I will go get new tires.

Quote:

"Your alignment should be a concern too after a wack like that."

Originally Posted by bmussatti

You brought out a good point, but I want to point out that it was less than 5 miles/hour when I made the cut. The curb was cracked and cut into the tire. Should I still be concern with alignment? Or do you think it is okay?
Old 09-23-2008, 05:37 PM   #9

Wheel alignment is not dependent on mileage or time. Potholes, curbing, even speedbumps can throw it off. This can happen at any time... even a block away from the alignment shop.

It's always a good idea to have an alignment whenever you replace tires. If nothing else, it's helps preserve the investment in the new rubber.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #10

has anyone tried these tires from Yokohama ADVAN Sport

Click Here

The link takes you to the tires. They are almost $100 cheaper per tire than the PS2. Anyone has any feedback? Anyone ever had them?

Thanks!

BTW got it on the alignment.

Last edited by n4ally2; 09-23-2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: link not showing up correctly.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #11

Personally, without seeing them in person, I would let it ride.

It looks like the whack was just in the rubber ledge that sticks out further over the lip of the tire. The thickness of the tire sidewall still looks uniform and the little non-reinforced rubber ledge took the cut..

I would take it to a tire shop that you can trust isn't going to try to make a buck and ask an expert.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4ally2
Click Here

The link takes you to the tires. They are almost $100 cheaper per tire than the PS2. Anyone has any feedback? Anyone ever had them?

Thanks!

BTW got it on the alignment.
I don't know the Advan Sport - the other advans are very high performance track oriented tires with VERY low wear life.
These are definitely a different tire and are well rated on the survey.

Try a set and tell us how they worked out!
Another vote FOR alignment when you replace tires. All today's rubber is expensive and the alignment is cheap insurance for the best wear possible. By the time you notice you should have had an alignment, most of the damage is done.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #13

I called tire rack and they told me the yokohama tires are mot N rated. So I am sticking with PS2.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #14
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4ally2
I called tire rack and they told me the yokohama tires are mot N rated. So I am sticking with PS2.
I think the N rating is a Porsche partnership / marketing thing. I thought I had to have N rated tires, but I no longer buy into that. Comments?
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #15

I hate the whole "N" rating thing. I hate being forced to buy tires based on some magic rating system. If Porsche and/or the tire manufacturers would release some specification telling us what the N rating means, I'd feel much less like I was getting suckered.

I've stuck with the stock PS2's this whole time. Burns my wallet in a very unsatisfying way.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:49 AM   #16
FTD

I think N rating means 'Porsche approved'.
I had a friend that bought Tide laundry detergent because he said he was supposed to use it on his X brand shirts. That is bunk. So I figure the N thing is bunk too.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #17

That's the problem--if it really does just mean that the tire passed some sort of certification with Porsche, then why do non-N-rated PS2s exist?

If there is no difference between the non-N and the N version of the tire, then Porsche is really bull****************ting us. Since they won't tell us what the actual difference is, it's impossible to tell and thus it is just frustrating "magic".
Old 09-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #18
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
That's the problem--if it really does just mean that the tire passed some sort of certification with Porsche, then why do non-N-rated PS2s exist?

Eslai, Michellin does in fact have non "N" rate PS2's. For example:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp?sortValue=1&filterType=all&resultsNumberSelected=Y&displayResults=10&compare=true&compareList=3%2C5&RunFlat=All&goWhere=%252Ftires%252FCompare1.jsp&sortCode=&width=265%2F&ratio=35&diameter=19&startIndex=0

The N rated tire is also $20 cheaper! Expalin that one.

Last edited by bmussatti; 09-25-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #19

I think you misunderstood what I wrote, because you basically just said exactly the same thing that I did.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #20

I called up my local porsche parts dept yesterday and they explained to me that N rated tires are tested and approved by porsche. When they first tested and approved the tire, the tire manufacturer will put N0 on the tire. When the manufacturer makes any changes to the N0 tires, they will then call it N1 tires. So it is basically different versions of the tire. So to answer eslai, I best guess is the non N rated PS2 are prior to the prosche approval.

Now, get this: Porsche does not know the difference between N0 or N1. So I really questions how much does it really matter to have N rated tires or not. Maybe it is just a market scheme.